• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing M1A1 barrel

ghostwolf0

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2003
Washington state
Has anyone cut down the barrel of an M1A1? I was hoping to go down to 18". Anyone tried it or know of any problems? Will it screw up the gas system?

thanks
ghost

Re: M1A1 barrel

An M1A1 is a variant of the Thompson submachine gun and these are not gas operated. What exactly are you trying to do?

No, but we did have an M14 in 'Nam that had been run over by an Amtrac, bending the barrel beyond the gas cylinder. The Armorer chopped the barrel off about 1" beyond the cylinder, cut off the butt stock, installed a selector, and it went into the bush as a spray 'n pray. As a subgun, it was just barely better than nothing. Always malf'ing. I would never do anything like that to an M14 (or M1A) that I actually liked.

M1A1, yep it's a Tommy. Lotta folks mislabel an M1A as an M1A1.

Greg

I've done a standard length to 18" (Scout Squad length) on an M1A. Shortening the barrel on pretty much any gas piston weapon requires opening the gas port a bit. Basically all it takes is the next drillbit size up to open up the gas port but the hard part is rematching the end of the barrel to accept the sight/flash suppressor...It's probably easier to dredge the net for a Scout barrel & have it installed onto your platform. Go here and this guy can make all your problems past tense.
http://m1-m1a-ar15.com/

I had a super match M1A with a cut down barrel years ago. it was made with a Kreiger barrel and was for 1000 yd matches. It was sent off and the barrel was cut down to about 18" and the brake was reinstalled. It was quite nice. The barrel was huge and thick, then milled down to fit the brake on the end. Shot well, but I wanted something else and it was sold or traded off.

I had a super match M1A with a cut down barrel years ago. it was made with a Kreiger barrel and was for 1000 yd matches. It was sent off and the barrel was cut down to about 18" and the brake was reinstalled. It was quite nice. The barrel was huge and thick, then milled down to fit the brake on the end. Shot well, but I wanted something else and it was sold or traded off.