• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 Barrel question

Alex Turner

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2023
Utah, US
Hello, I'm wanting to do an m24 clone-ish build, (Remington 700 LA reciever, HS Precision stock, Leopold mk4 scope, and m24 contour barrel) but I'm running into some confusion on the barrel specs. I know that the m24 has a 24" barrel with 5R rifling and a 1/11.25 twist rate. However, as I was searching for a good source for the contoured blank, I noticed that there was some variation between the m24 contour barrel dimensions listed by different manufacturers. Here's a few examples:

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/barrel-info/barrel-contours#:~:text=M24/M40,27″

I know that Rock Creek originally made them for the army, so I assume theirs is correct. However, unfortunately they're not available right now. I was hoping to order from Preferred Barrel Blanks because they're the cheapest and they're a local company that I'd like to support, but I want to make sure that their barrel is going to be dimensionally "clone correct". Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Rock Creek made the first 100 barrels or so I belive that was it. The rest were made by remington and were hammer forged barrels. Barrel lenght 24 to breech face, both mine are .913 at the muzzle. We do have a M24 thread that is a sticky, ask there. For what you might end up spending, look for a refurb or an Asa m24

Reactions: msgriff
The PBB contour looks correct to me. The 5 inch D section on the lilja should be 3 inches and it should be .9 at 26 not 27 inches. Plenty of Manufacturers to compare but I just looked up Bartlein and their M24 profile is the same as PBB. I'm pretty sure Krieger shows the same but haven't taken the time to look. Either of these would be my choice. Barrel isn't the place to shave costs.