• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M24 Questions

jmar

Minuteman
May 16, 2017
Montana
I may be starting a M24 SWS build, just have a few questions. If I want to build a spot on replica what would be a good version of a Rem to start with? 30-06 or .300 WinMag action? Were they stainless actions? What floorplate do I get? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to do it right the first time.

they are standard long action, so .30-06 or .300 win mag should be the same....the barrels are stainless, but i dont believe the actions are.....and im pretty sure the floor plates are dakota arms steel floor plates.

i mean, when it comes to the M24.....you can actually buy them new from a dealer.....its not like the M40s where they need to be built........so if it were me, that would be the option i would choose, especially if you want it spot on.

I shopped around and GA Precision wants $3700 for their M24 and that's without the scope or any accessories. I could build mine for at least $1000 less than that. The M24 rebuilds made by Remington are also around $4000 on up depending on accessories, while mine won't be as nice this is more of a budget build for my starter gun. When I say spot on replica I just mean the gun itself. I will probably do without the rare iron sights and scope and put my own scope on it to save some money. I could always update it in the future.

Does anyone know if the 30-06 and .300 WM actions need to be modified to accept the .308 case head, or does it just need the new .308 barrel to function?

Remington 700 Long Action in .30-06, .270, something with a .470 bolt face, this will make it compatible with the .308 Winchester without anything more than a barrel swap. The barrel should be stainless steel, M24 contour, 24" OAL, with a standard Remington 700 dimensioned recoil lug. Dakota Arms supplied the bottom metal for the M24 and then Sunny Hill took over the contract. Use the factory magazine box, follower, and magazine spring. The Remington M24 trigger is rare and expensive if you do find it, you can find old style Remington triggers pretty easy or just drop in a Timney. HS Precision PST011 stock, make sure you order it for the M24 contour barrel. Early M24's used a one piece steel Leupold 0 MOA base and later models used two piece Mark 4 bases, also 0 MOA, which were drilled and tapped to 8-40. You can have the holes opened up and aligned if you want when you have the action worked on or just leave them 6-48, it's up to you. If it was me I'd just use a normal one piece 20 MOA base to make it more versatile across a range of optics. M24's were issued with the Harris HBL 9-13 bipod and then later the Advanced Sniper Accessory Kit came with the Harris HBRS, the HBRMS is preferred with its notched legs. That should get you on your way.

Thanks for the comment clears up pretty much everything. None were stainless I guess, I just thought maybe they were since the barrels were. I'm looking at a 30-06 ADL for sale, however it is an older one in a synthetic stock and it has what looks to be a highly polished bolt rear and a non-checkered bolt handle... I'm curios as to if those were things found on a M24. If not I want to look for one without them.

I saw both threads, there's one with 51 pages. However Photobucket screwed the internet and 95% of the pictures are missing so there's a lot of context missing sadly.

If I'm not mistaken, Marty (Badger Ordnace) made a run of the DBMs for M24 builders middle of last year. My bet is once these as gone they will be unobtainable.

Last edited:
I just bought my rifle, a used Remington 700 in 30-06. I didn't originally care but it ended up even having the correct serial number range prefix I belive 'E'. The barrel I need is the Rock Creek M24 taper correct? Does anyone here know from previous experience the price and lead time on them? Since this is my first build I have never gone through any gunsmith work before, can someone tell me how it works? When I order my barrel does it have threading so I can just thread it on, or do I need to send it off to a gunsmith who threads and installs it?

Also if some wants to sell their used H-S stock please let me know, any condition. I'm barely scraping by on my budget for this gun.

Search at Bugholes for pricing, availability on the barrel. Buying from a stocking deal will cut a lot of time. I think I paid around $330 for a rock creek sendero. It will come as a blank (no threads, no chamber). You're looking at about $300 to install, more if you want a threaded muzzle and action work. There will also be ceracoat (or whatever finish) costs.

I used a Krieger 30 caliber blank with the same 5R rifling and ordered the same 1-11.25 twist as the M24 specs. They can turn a blank in the same profile or contour as the M24 as well. If you decide to get the iron sight bases try Outback Gun parts in NY state. Even if you don't opt for tracking down the actual Redfield sights (Or RPA for later production guns) the sight bases alone will still add to the authenticity of the look and should be available for around $100 for both I believe.

I checked out Bugholes, all their barrels are out of stock and they only have the M24 tapers in 27" configs. But it did give me a general price of $325. Is there a good gunsmith all you precision rifle shooters go through that you'd recommend to instal my barrel?

jmar, the basic M24's rifles are going for a lot less than 4000. If you keep searching you will find one, the rebuilds basically came in three varities. A basic rifle, rifle with scope, and the complete kit, deployment case etc. In the end up, it will probably be cheaper to just find a basic M24's and add accessories as you find them.

jmar, the basic M24's rifles are going for a lot less than 4000. If you keep searching you will find one, the rebuilds basically came in three varities. A basic rifle, rifle with scope, and the complete kit, deployment case etc. In the end up, it will probably be cheaper to just find a basic M24's and add accessories as you find them.

I've been looking around for about a month and none have popped up, from my guestimation the rifle will cost me about $2,000 to build. And that's without the Leupold and just a simple SWFA on it. So if one comes up for around 2k I'd gladly buy it and sell my 30-06 I just bought for the build. But summer's already slipping away and I want to get out shooting soon.

Can someone tell me the correct serial number ranges for the M24? The gun I bought for the build is an E code. Is that correct?

I hope no one minds but I have a few questions about the M24 myself. I have acquired the M24 SWS rebuild rifle for myself. I have also picked up the Ultra M3A for the rifle. I added the MIRS M24 Rail but not sure if I should keep it on there.

I have the rear site on order and I am looking for the front site that I understand to be the OK Weber sight. Any hints one where to find one?

Just for your opinions , here is my new stick.

Attachments

• photo71037.jpg
    photo71037.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 27
Thanks you and will do. I have taken it out only to Zero the rifle. I found out my loads were too hot or my bullets were too long. I was out of 175 smk's and used TMK's. POI was about 1.5 to 2" high at 100 yards. Another trick is that I am shooting yards and not meters which is what the scope is set up for. I will say I had a 1" group at 200 yards it was just at the very top of the target... LOL

I am loading up some ammo now.

Federal GMM brass / 175 SMK's / 41.7gr IMR 4064 / OAL: 2.81-2.82

I will let ya know the results. I have a feeling I may still get too much speed. seeing this is a load I have seen in LC brass.