• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Build Guide

Re: M40 Build Guide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that there is someone out there that knows how to clipslot. Im interested in seeing how its done. Is there anyone that is willing to video tape themselves showing how its done.
</div></div>

Mike Lau at Texas Brigade Armory does clip slotting as per Remington specs. I spoke with him today and he says he can do both stripped receivers and Receivers with the barrel attached. I am going to send him a rifle and see how it comes out.

Texas Brigade Armory

Mike Fletcher

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Fletcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC Grunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that there is someone out there that knows how to clipslot. Im interested in seeing how its done. Is there anyone that is willing to video tape themselves showing how its done.
</div></div>

Mike Lau at Texas Brigade Armory does clip slotting as per Remington specs. I spoke with him today and he says he can do both stripped receivers and Receivers with the barrel attached. I am going to send him a rifle and see how it comes out.

Texas Brigade Armory

Mike Fletcher

</div></div>

GAP may do clipsloting too... I think Grunt was asking for a "how to" so he could do it himself.

Ket us know how your clipslot turns out.

Yes thats what I was asking was a "How-to". After I retire (or even before that) from the Corps I would like to be a gunsmith. I have an M40a3 that has been clipslotted along with an M40 and another receiver that is as well. That is the way I bought them. I would like to do it myself. The a3 that I have was done by TBA. Please if anyone has done this themselves Id like to see how they do it.

Thanks

My son sent one of our Spec. M40A1's to GAP for clip-slot machining last month. They said they will send it out and get it done once they have six receivers to do. I’m assuming that they have a machine shop do this for them.

O.K., So we know (think?) that there are at least three different types of Clip-Slots found on Remington 700’s:

1. One, as shown on the Remington Drawing, referencing the M40-700 clip-slot. This one is very
intricate and removes the front screw hole on the rear receiver bridge. Referenced as M40.
As shown on Page 194 of Death From Afar (this thread, posted by Mike)

2. Another: Showing retaining of both screw holes on the rear receiver bridge and being of a
simpler design. (pictures posted by Xarmor on 09/14, above). Commercial 700’s (?)
(Could be before or after M40-700 Corps receivers?)

3. And a simple rectangular slot found on a M40A1’s Build. (Posted by a guy in France on
the M40A1 Build thread.) (maybe just “The French Way”?)

Thus: To be correct "to spec.", The “Remington Style #1 Clip Slot” should be for the M40’s.
Then: Since the Corps M40’s were rebuilt into A1’s why the second screw hole in the rear scope base mount on the Unertl mounts for the 10X scopes if there was only one screw hole?
Were additional later style receivers used to build the M40A1’s other than just the M40-700 receivers?

My personal preference would be the one being a simple rectangular “cut out” having the two rear base mounting screws, as this would be more secure. (Also, less expensive to do!)

Now, I can only wonder which one GAP will add to our rifle. Must call today!

They all have two screws in the bridge.

When Remington got away from making that rectangular slot in the 700, they left the holes where they were at. Same with the 40X rifles that have the clip slot. They all have the same hole pattern on the bridge and the ring.

If there were different screw hole configurations, you'd have to specify which receiver you have when you order scope mounts....

Skunk: The question is relative to; “What type of Clip-Slot was present on the original receivers (completed rifles) sold to the Corps. for the M40’s?”

Was it the one shown in Chandler’s book “Death from Afar”(from Iron Brigade Armory) (only one hole in the rear bridge)?

Or was it the simpler type with the two mounting holes in the rear bridge?

Also: If Chandler is correct: When rebuilding into the A1’s, why have the second hole?
Or, did the Corps, buy additional rifles after the M40’s having the later clip-slot retaining two holes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gutowsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">O.K., So we know (think?) that there are at least three different types of Clip-Slots found on Remington 700’s:

1. One, as shown on the Remington Drawing, referencing the M40-700 clip-slot. This one is very
intricate and removes the front screw hole on the rear receiver bridge. Referenced as M40.
As shown on Page 194 of Death From Afar (this thread, posted by Mike)
<span style="font-weight: bold">Never ever seen a "clip slotted" 700 that had went back far enough to remove the front screw hole on rear bridge. That is the hole the Redfield 40X marked base uses on the 700/M40. The machineing to accomadate the Unertl/USO mount is very specific in order for a tight fit. Mount was made to precisely fit/function with this type to add strength </span>

2. Another: Showing retaining of both screw holes on the rear receiver bridge and being of a
simpler design. (pictures posted by Xarmor on 09/14, above). Commercial 700’s (?)
(Could be before or after M40-700 Corps receivers?)
<span style="font-weight: bold">IIRC there was a pic posted by someone in the M40A1 thread of a simple 'clip slot' machined into the factory rectangle cutout to allow stripper clip or adaptor on the receivers with the rectangle cutout?? However it was NOT a true clip slot and couldn't be cleaned up with the 'correct' "clip slot" IIRC??? </span>

3. And a simple rectangular slot found on a M40A1’s Build. (Posted by a guy in France on
the M40A1 Build thread.) (maybe just “The French Way”?)

<span style="font-weight: bold"> Must be the "French Gay Way"....The rectangle slot was machined into all 721/722 and early 700's, long and short to mid 2XX,XXX receivers. Every 4 digit, 5 digit and early 6 digit I have owned/seen has/had the rectangle cutout. I currently have a 236XXX receiver(barrel date code 9/66) laying here that does not have this cut so it was discontinued sometime between the 221,XXXish receivers and the 236,XXX, when, I don't know. Also note that this 'rectangle cutout' does not have the front receiver ring machined for bullet tip clearance that a 'true' clip slot utilizes!!! </span>

Thus: To be correct "to spec.", The “Remington Style #1 Clip Slot” should be for the M40’s.
Then: Since the Corps M40’s were rebuilt into A1’s why the second screw hole in the rear scope base mount on the Unertl mounts for the 10X scopes if there was only one screw hole?
Were additional later style receivers used to build the M40A1’s other than just the M40-700 receivers?
<span style="font-weight: bold">Some(there are a few "genuine" M700/40's around so I say "some") of the more serviceable existing M40 receivers were tore down and rebuilt into the M40A1 weapons. Also the Corp puchased roughly 100 C prefix receivers for other builds in the later 80,s?, also some G prefix. George from GAP IIRC posted somewhere that there were more G prefix than others do to rebuilds, loss, plain wore out or destroyed etc??? </span>

My personal preference would be the one being a simple rectangular “cut out” having the two rear base mounting screws, as this would be more secure. (Also, less expensive to do!)

Now, I can only wonder which one GAP will add to our rifle. Must call today!
<span style="font-weight: bold">George will do the one 'correct clip slot' that utilizes the same dimensions as the early Unertl and later USO mounts, no variance's as these mounts were USMC specific. GAP will machine rear bridge correctly and front receiver ring as the "correct mount" utilizes that front divet for strength </span>

</div></div>

If you search the net long enough and ask enough people's opinions you will get numerous answers of which some are incorrect or at least partially incorrect. THERE IS ONLY ONE CORRECT CLIP SLOT. As for some 'commercial' receivers being "clip slotted" who knows where/how/when that happened. Could have been done by a smith at one time for a specific customer/use. Could have been sent back to Remington Custom Shop. While I have read some mention they owned a "clip slotted" 700 I have never seen one personally. Seems someone here posted a pic once but it was different with very basic cuts and would not accept a Unertl/USO mount, cannot remember who though! Have read numerous posts on the net referring to the early factory rear bridge cutout as a "clip slot" but it is not at least in the sense of the USMC/Unertl/USO combo.

Did Remington do the first ones on the R700/M40??? Not positive but I would put my money on it. Reason at that time for "clip slotting" the M700/40? Don't know, other than the 40-XB repeater was machined as such! Were later C, G etc prefixed receivers machined by Corp or Remington? Don't know that either.

Now I will let the "clip slot" comments and conversations rest as IMO it has been overspeculated on. Unless there is proof from Remington or the Corp of something different that Senich or George @ GAP have posted/stated we are all only 'guessing', 'assuming', and making a big deal of something that I don't believe is!!!!

Not trying to be a smartass, just trying to make this subject a bit simpler and less 'complex'!!

Respectfully,
Dennis

SDWhirlwind got it right.

The discussion of the rectangular slot/cutout on the very early Model 700 is irrelevant to the discussion. It was discontinued early on and pre-dated the M40 rifle anyhow. People who buy up those rifles with the rectangular slot thinking they've found a gem with which to build a M40/M40A1 clone are mistaken. Any serial number pre-221XXX is too early for a M40-type replica to begin with.

There was no clipslot of any variation that left only one screw hole in the rear bridge.

There is only ONE type of clipslot that is correct for the M40 or M40Al. GAPrecision can cut it, so can Remington or Mike Lau or the Chandlers...

All the M40 rifles that the Marine Corps bought from Remington came from Remington with the clipslot already there. When the Marine Corps bought C-prefix receivers in later years, I'm fairly certain that the USMC cut those clipslots themselves. I know that they cut their own receivers nowadays for the M40A3/5 rifles...

Well, I Give Up!
You guys argue about what are the “Correct Sling Swivels” ad nauseam: But apparently don’t know about the “Clip Slots!"

Skunk,
In "THE LONG RANGE WAR", USMC rifles are as low as 168,xxx. Why do you need a 221,xxx?

It seemed to me that they were saying those rifles in the 168XXX range were pre-production samples and examples within the few museums that have M40's... Maybe not, been a while since I read that stuff.

Either way, I tried to have a look at every M40A1 or A3 I saw in the Marine Corps never saw any lower than 221XXX. Of course, that's probably only a couple dozen rifles I got to look at. Most of the A3's I saw were E676XXXX...

Gutowsky, you're the first person I've heard of with the theory about only one screw hole on the receiver bridge.... Where'd you get that from? ...not a challenge, a genuine question...

"As shown on the Remington Drawing, referencing the M40-700 clip-slot. This one is very intricate and removes the front screw hole on the rear receiver bridge. Referenced as M40.
As shown on Page 194 of Death From Afar, by Chandler" (this thread, posted by Mike)

Gutowsky...Surely not trying to piss you off but you seem to want to be right, speculate, guess or whatever despite nothing concrete to prove your 'theories' or 'assumptions'?????

Serial #'s of the first M40 according to Senich's books started @ 168,179. As this rifle was a then work in progress and needed testing I would think this would be the start of some test rifles???

Again, according to Senich's books the latest were 322,769 which would be about right for the last rifles shipped in '69 to '71 range as mjh referenced earlier.

You were argueing that the rifles may be 40-XB receivers? Other than mentioning some test samples based on the 40-XB repeater receiver all rifles, pics, stats are clearly referenced or VERY clearly marked as M700's and use 700 series serial number markings correct for that peroid, correct? You have failed to prove or show a pic of ONE 40-XB marked receiver? So wouldn't it be prudent to assume all USMC produced M700/M40 is indeed a 700 receiver, just clip slotted???

Now you're upset because no one will concede with your 'theory' that the rear bridge has one or two holes????? What the hell??? Have you ever personally seen such??? If not and nobody else can verify then...............?????????????? Show proof of more than ONE type of clip slotting done by Corp or Remington!

So to conclude you are pissed and "nauseated" with replys to your ongoing speculations.

Any proof the 40-XB receiver was used????? NO
Any proof that receivers rear bridge or mounts are different than are displayed in any of Senich's books or other pics from meuseums etc?????? NO

The 'clip slot' is the very same used on the Remington 40-XB repeater so being the Corp ordered the M700/40 as complete package and pics clearly show receivers are machined for stripper clip feeding and blued then why all the "what ifs"???? Redfield base marked 40X mounts in the rear front hole so where the hell did the second go to prove your 'theory'?

Why get pissed and sarcastic? If you don't want to be critiqued or questioned on your guess', assumptions, what ifs, maybe's or whatever then show proof!!!!!!

Were you a 2112 in the Corp anytime from 1966 until 2000? Did you work in Remington's Custom Shop during the M700/40 project? Have you published anything with pics showing anything different than facts referenced by others here?

Guess I missed the "Correct Sling Swivels" part, probably a good thing I didn't get to argue about!!!!!!!!!!

Also 'Who' doesn't know about "Clip Slots"?????

The M40 is a soft spot for me. This thread has been enjoyable to discuss but now is getting to be the 'usual' ego or argue for the sake of argueing thread like most end up. I am done with it. My time is worth little but internet name calling and and pissing/whinning aren't my cup of tea. Life sucks but I am not that desperate for entertainment!!!!!!!

I am done!!!!!!!!

Respectfully,
Dennis

Dennis: What I can't get answered is: The Drawing in Chandlers book, "Death From Afar" page 194, shows a clip-slot noted as by Remington for the M40-700. Also noted are the two screw holes for the receiver sight for the X40 rifles.

Is or isn’t Chandler correct: What gives?

Gutowsky,

I just looked through the posts by Mike Fletcher. I didn't see stated anywhere that one of the two holes on the receiver bridge was removed during the machining of the clipslot. I think you need to revisit that.

There would be no sense in cutting the receiver that far back. Even if, for some odd reason, someone was to take the scope off of a M40 and use a stripper clip to load it, the stripper clip would be over the top of the bolt and behind the magazine of the rifle if the clipslot was cut back that far! It wouldn't even be functional at that point.

Furthermore, if someone were to remove the forward screw hole on the bridge, the original Redfield mount wouldn't even be able to be screwed down on that end of the receiver.

I'm sorry, but whomever came up with that idea/theory is mistaken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gutowsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dennis: What I can't get answered is: The Drawing in Chandlers book, "Death From Afar" page 194, shows a clip-slot noted as by Remington for the M40-700. Also noted are the two screw holes for the receiver sight for the X40 rifles.

</div></div>

What, specifically, is your question? Is Chandler correct about what?

What through me off was the picture of the correct Redfield 40X base (this thread)(posted by M40A1 peacemaker on 06/30/10). Only one screw holds the rear of the scope base. I didn’t sufficiently look at Chandlers Drawing, just assumed! My fault.

I'll go stand in the corner!

Dude, no problem. I'm glad we got things cleared up for you.

I'll try to get a couple good pictures of my rifle up here later tonight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gutowsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dennis: What I can't get answered is: The Drawing in Chandlers book, "Death From Afar" page 194, shows a clip-slot noted as by Remington for the M40-700. Also noted are the two screw holes for the receiver sight for the X40 rifles.

</div></div>

I did not or can not comment on Chandler's Book "Death from Afar" because I have never read it. I refuse to 'speculate' without a pic or whatever.

As noted, the Redfield 40X marked base used the front of the 2 rear holes for mounting and the 2 on front receiver ring. Why was a base marked 40X used? I don't have a clue! I have never personally seen one marked as such. Except for square corners on the front end it is identical in length to all 700SA marked bases from that time period. Perhaps they were marked as such to keep them seperate during blueing/parking or whatever from others and had been verified a perfect fit???

As for the 2 screw holes on left side of rear bridge that was common on ALL 700 long and short actions into the letter prefix's. I have an A, a B prefix Model 78 and even a C prefix from mid 80's which has been drilled and tapped on the left rear bridge. The C could perhaps have been done by someone other than Remington????? However it was common well into the '70's from my own ownership of near 100 700's over the yrs.

We can only guess that perhaps the Corp or Remington decided/requested the receivers be clip slotted for the M700/40 in case they were ever required/needed in the field to use or pratice with aperature sites if a scope wasn't used????? Only specualation, and we know what that is worth!!!!

So is it agreed that facts, pics etc lead us to believe there is only ONE type of receiver, clip slot and scope base used, this being verified and really confirmed from all pics indicating same????

Just wondering, as I am not going to argue about "what ifs" or "probablys"
smile.gif

I don't know the proper way to go about this, but I just wanted to add a request that this thread be made a sticky. LOTS af good information on a popular topic. Thanks.

I have been following this thread and the M40A1 build thread for awhile now. I have a late 80's PSS with walnut stock and 1st Gen Accurange as my M40 clone.

I also have all the parts minus a barrel for an early M40A1 build as well. I have a USMC return stock with matching bottom metal, 271,*** serial# 700 short action and another 1st Gen Accurange with an early Redfield mount and 4 screw rings.

Last week I traded for an IHC Garand. The seller told me he had a nice plastic case that he would ship it in. Of all the cases he could have shipped in :

DSCF0214.jpg

DSCF0207.jpg

DSCF0215.jpg

This case is in amazing condition foam and all, just wish it was brown. I dont know how old it is or if it has any collector value. I just know that I've read that Remington shipped the M40's in these cases.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gutowsky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nomnre606: I've used these from Numrich. Did four so far, two to go.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=553690&filter=553690&catid=0</div></div>

I grabbed one of these a while back. Rounded the forend, sanded it down, still coating with BLO, and threw in some marinetex, and finally an SPS tactical with 60's vintage mounts and a Redfield Revolution with the accurange ret. Sorta a mix of new and old.

spsptacM40.jpg

Not a precise clone, of course, but a good-looking rifle nonetheless with the M40 "feel" to it. Nice job!

On the Redfeild base. Will it say 40X on it? I have one that looks correct. But it does not say 40X. I have seen several different pictures in the post. Is the front of the mount square ? Mine is square on the rear and front. Except the front tops are rounded off.

Yes they have 40X stamped about in the middle of the thin portion as pics have indicated. Front and rear both square. The later M40A1 mount was square or near square on the rear and a bit rounded on from corners but pics of the M40 mount show clearly square corners. I personally have never seen a 40X marked Redfield base and wonder how many Redfield actually made and if any were sold other than the military contract? Other than the 40X marking I see little difference. Both use same screw holes and size.

Few have ever seen a RF 40X marked base. Most will be 700SA.
If yours is rounded on the top front, it is a later base and though it will work, it is not exactly correct.

There is also the difference in the height of the rear of the receiver to consider when deciding which base will work correctly on which 700.

Just so you guys that are building clones know, you can take a Redfield 700sa base (early version) and have a welder build up the rounded corners to be square.

I have had this done to 2 bases. Makes for a very close copy. Though, the 40x base has a bit different length.

Brent do you know the correct lenght for a 40x base, I have several SA bases and one is a little shorter than the others, may be a good contneder for a bead of weld.

Thanks Brent, I must do some measuring tonight, I know I had at least two that were different lenghts, may have to try the weld method.

I apologize in advance, as I'm sure that this is a repeat question, but I can't seem to find the info. anywhere. Anyhow, I finally found my six digit (321,xxx) SA Remington 700 and am ready to start my project. My question is, what barrel is available today, that would be the best match for that rifle? I have looked on both Shilen's and Douglas' websites and don't see a 24" with a .830 dia. at the muzzle. Shilen has a "#17 Remington Varmint (Sendero)" with a .830 dia. at the end of a 28" barrel. It looks like it's also .830 at the 24" mark, so maybe this is it??? Douglas has a "Remington Varmint 007" that has a .830 at 26", but doesn't show what the dia. is at 24". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Greg V

Re: M40 Build Guide - Not M40A1

I went with one of Gary Scneider's USMC over-run barrels for mine... Give him a call, great guy & product!! He normally has a few of the over-runs available for about $340....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg V</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I apologize in advance, as I'm sure that this is a repeat question, but I can't seem to find the info. anywhere. Anyhow, I finally found my six digit (321,xxx) SA Remington 700 and am ready to start my project. My question is, what barrel is available today, that would be the best match for that rifle? I have looked on both Shilen's and Douglas' websites and don't see a 24" with a .830 dia. at the muzzle. Shilen has a "#17 Remington Varmint (Sendero)" with a .830 dia. at the end of a 28" barrel. It looks like it's also .830 at the 24" mark, so maybe this is it??? Douglas has a "Remington Varmint 007" that has a .830 at 26", but doesn't show what the dia. is at 24". Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Greg V
</div></div>

You are correct on both of the above as to what you have posted from Shilen and Douglas. The Douglas will only vary by a few thousandths if cut @ 24". As the M40 used factory Rem barrels from everything I have seen the maker you choose for a close resemblance is really up to you unless you want only a Rem barrel? None of the ordinary proof marks etc were on the M40 from the pics I have seen, only the 7.62 Nato marks? A few thousandths one way or another don't matter as factory barrels over the yrs have varied a bit @ muzzle depending on finish quality etc. My .02cents worth on the subject anyhoo!

When theM40 got rebarreled and it was marked 7.62 NATO, was it marked with 1/16th punch?

I talked to Douglas yesterday and found out that they make a "USMC profile" M40 barrel. I would think that this one would be about as close as a guy could get, without actually finding an original.

I have a question regarding the finish on the barreled action. I have read that it was finished in a "green" park, but all of the pictures that I have seen look like gray park. I always thought that the "green" park that you see was just gray park turning color over time. Anyone out there have any input/comments on the barreled action's finish. Anyone out there have any experience with the Cerakote finishes? Cerakote is what GA Precision usues on their rifles. I looked at the color chart on Cerakote's website and didn't see anything that looked like "green" park. They have one called "sniper gray" that looks pretty good. What finishes have you guys used on your M40 clones?

Cerakote Finishes

Thanks, Greg V

You should check if the USMC contour is now or the older varmint contour. Most say the M40 had a varmint contour. Make sure you check.

You are right, thanks. I told them that I needed it for the early, Vietnam M40, but I should make sure that it is the Remington varmint contour with the .830 muzzle dia.

Thanks, Greg

Greg, what did you find out from Douglas? I just recently got my receiver back from TBA (and Mike did an EXCELLENT job on the clip-slotting, BTW!) so the next step is choosing and ordering a barrel.

Pvt.Joker,
Douglas mailed my barrel out Tuesday. They said it was the M40 (Rem. med. varmint contour). I'll give you all the specs. when it arrives. Cost was $293.00.
Greg

OK; got my receiver back from Mike Lau at Texas Brigade Armory, and thought you guys might like to see how it came out. I was VERY pleased with the job he did. It took a little while to get back, but it was well worth the wait.
001-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

Reactions: M1Army