• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M40 Build Guide

And one more...

eHDlZlz.jpg

Just reviewed the SWFA web site and they show a SSA with a Badger mount/ring set and the Leupold Commemorative scope (expand the photo.) Does this mean that the mounts they have available will fit the SSA?

http://swfa.com/images/USMC_Scope_Mounted_M40_1500x.jpg

I'm going to send them an email. Badger's web site doesn't show this mount, at all.

Yes, what SWFA has will fit the SSA. It is a short base. The base has flat head screws. The rings have allen screws. BTW, the tolerances on these rings are spot on. All you have to do is seat the scope in the bottom rings like you want it. It is a tight fit so be careful with the windage screws (make sure they are centered). Tightening down the top rings only needs about 15 lbs of torque and they will sit flush with the bottom half of the rings. Once that is done torque down the windage screws being careful to keep it as centered as possible. The windage correction on my first shot @100 yards was like only a couple of inches. That was with a new Leupold Rifleman scope. See attached images for Badger base sold through SWFA on a SSA rifle.

One of the attached images shows the second hole in the rear to accommodate the longer Redfield base.

Attachments

• badger1.jpg
    badger1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 72
  • badger2.jpg
    badger2.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 63
  • badger3.jpg
    badger3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 57
Nicely done aurOra145!!

Couple of Q's:

1.) Who did your metal preparation and parkerizing job?

2.) Did you bed your action yet?

3.) When do you plan on starting your M40A1?

Looking forward to your range report!!

And one more...

eHDlZlz.jpg

Culpeper, Thanks for your clarification on the Badger M40 Mount and the SSA receiver and for the photographs. Typical of anything, by Badger, it's looks meticulous in it's detail and fit. A question remains...

Q's.) Will the Badger mount accept original Redfield 4-screw rings and will they fit correctly? (I don't take anything for granted.)

Yes, what SWFA has will fit the SSA. It is a short base. The base has flat head screws. The rings have allen screws. BTW, the tolerances on these rings are spot on. All you have to do is seat the scope in the bottom rings like you want it. It is a tight fit so be careful with the windage screws (make sure they are centered). Tightening down the top rings only needs about 15 lbs of torque and they will sit flush with the bottom half of the rings. Once that is done torque down the windage screws being careful to keep it as centered as possible. The windage correction on my first shot @100 yards was like only a couple of inches. That was with a new Leupold Rifleman scope. See attached images for Badger base sold through SWFA on a SSA rifle.

One of the attached images shows the second hole in the rear to accommodate the longer Redfield base.

Nicely done aurOra145!!

Couple of Q's:

1.) Who did your metal preparation and parkerizing job?

2.) Did you bed your action yet?

3.) When do you plan on starting your M40A1?

Looking forward to your range report!!

1.) I took a quick picture that turned out great. It hasn't been parked yet. Once I shoot this barrel out, I'll get it parkerized.

2.) Haven't bedded it yet. I'm going to take it out this weekend and see how it performs (god willing) and decide from those results.

3.) I've looked at a M40A1; but, the scope is prohibitive to me on cost. Instead, I'm eying a Lee Enfield No4 Mk1T for my next project. Granted, I was just selected by the US Navy to be a Student Navy Flight Officer, so my life will bend to the governments will. Pretty much I deem my rifle building life will take a hiatus until I get a real duty station after training. I've wanted to join the military ever since I was a kid and getting selected for a SNFO slot has been a dream come true. I've read stories about Midway, Leyte Gulf and the submarine campaign in the Pacific since middle school. I'm honored that they would select me to join the ranks of Naval Officers. I've experienced a lot of high emotions in the last two months, from getting selected to having my best friend qualify at 1,000yds at our local range. I cherish the time I've spent with my friends and it's even better that most of it revolves around the pursuit for marksmanship.

When I first got to college; in the first week I was in school I bought my first rifle that was really truly mine (first one I bought and wasn't given to me.) It was a Lee Enfield No4 Mk1* made by Savage. That rifle followed me everywhere and I taught a great deal of people how to shoot with that rifle. I think it's only fair to pursue a No4 Mk1T at this point. Plus MJ1 doesn't help out with discouraging the pursuit for Enfield sniper rifles. This website without a doubt has improved my marksmanship and I have passed that on to to others. KraigWY comes to mind when talking about marksmanship as does a litany of others.

All of you, culpepper, bolt_trash, tokiwartooth, and others have all attributed to my project. I just hope that I can further the cause of marksmanship in my generation from what I have learned from all of you.

Cheers sirs, for you will forever have a lasting impact on my life.

-Aur0ra145

aur0ra145, Congratulations for your selection to the U.S. Navy Officer Corp and our well wishes attend you. Honestly, I was just kidding about the M40A1, but we all know (deep-down,) that one (1) rifle build is not the end... it's just the beginning and always- always, leads to another. Looking forward to reading the details (it has to have details) of your forthcoming range report.

Note: The only thing I'm known for, on this forum, is asking PITA questions.

1.) I took a quick picture that turned out great. It hasn't been parked yet. Once I shoot this barrel out, I'll get it parkerized.

2.) Haven't bedded it yet. I'm going to take it out this weekend and see how it performs (god willing) and decide from those results.

3.) I've looked at a M40A1; but, the scope is prohibitive to me on cost. Instead, I'm eying a Lee Enfield No4 Mk1T for my next project. Granted, I was just selected by the US Navy to be a Student Navy Flight Officer, so my life will bend to the governments will. Pretty much I deem my rifle building life will take a hiatus until I get a real duty station after training. I've wanted to join the military ever since I was a kid and getting selected for a SNFO slot has been a dream come true. I've read stories about Midway, Leyte Gulf and the submarine campaign in the Pacific since middle school. I'm honored that they would select me to join the ranks of Naval Officers. I've experienced a lot of high emotions in the last two months, from getting selected to having my best friend qualify at 1,000yds at our local range. I cherish the time I've spent with my friends and it's even better that most of it revolves around the pursuit for marksmanship.

When I first got to college; in the first week I was in school I bought my first rifle that was really truly mine (first one I bought and wasn't given to me.) It was a Lee Enfield No4 Mk1* made by Savage. That rifle followed me everywhere and I taught a great deal of people how to shoot with that rifle. I think it's only fair to pursue a No4 Mk1T at this point. Plus MJ1 doesn't help out with discouraging the pursuit for Enfield sniper rifles. This website without a doubt has improved my marksmanship and I have passed that on to to others. KraigWY comes to mind when talking about marksmanship as does a litany of others.

All of you, culpepper, bolt_trash, tokiwartooth, and others have all attributed to my project. I just hope that I can further the cause of marksmanship in my generation from what I have learned from all of you.

-Aur0ra145

Whats Up Brother? Want to stir it up more? That scope was a Redfield Royal, how many times has anyone seen that mentioned? :)

Never? ;)

We learn something new everyday.

-Aur0ra145

Congrats on your build!!

Well put brother (eodcam) ...Im not sure why I subject myself to this so many time...LMAO. I would "not" have been so tactful. lolololol
It was on a roller rack that sits in a locked vault in the back of a Marine Corp Armory. Not so much of a "display" rifle.
I'll shut up now...lol

The SWFA Badger Mount Response...

Badger made the mount, but SWFA is the retailer and I think a retailer should know what they're offering. So... the SWFA email response:

Mr. Bolt_Trash-

Thank you for your patronage for SWFA.

From what I understand. Current production Remington Model 700’s are from May 14th 2006 to present day.

Best Regards,

Skylar McMahon

5840 E. US Hwy 287
Midlothian, TX 76065

O: 972.617.7056 Ext. 8334
F: 972.617.1647
[email protected]

Just reviewed the SWFA web site and they show a SSA with a Badger mount/ring set and the Leupold Commemorative scope (expand the photo.) Does this mean that the mounts they have available will fit the SSA?

http://swfa.com/images/USMC_Scope_Mounted_M40_1500x.jpg

I'm going to send them an email. Badger's web site doesn't show this mount, at all.

Yes, that is what I have mounted on the SSA. What you have pictured there. "Alpha/numeric S/N only" The older Redfield, long and short, bases fit it as well. I have mounted all three at different times. The rear has two holes for the mount. One for short base and one for long base.

Last edited:
What does this have to do with the SSA rifle?

Ahhhhhh, because it fits?

Is there anything to the contrary that you know of and would care to present?

Still curious if an original Redfield 4 screw ring set will fit the Badger M40 mount. Can you speak to and/or offer any information on that question?
____________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm not (exactly) sure why Badger would make the usage declaration, that they did, on these mounts, especially in view of the fact that you've apparently used the early "Patent Date" Redfield mounts (LA/721 and SA/722) and the Badger mount, on your 2006 LTD edition SSA, without issue. The fact is and remains, that they did.

I have a personal interest in the more 'obscure' details attaching to the subject Badger mount (pls. see Q. re: orig. rings) inasmuch as I have a virgin SSA action, for my build, and am considering purchasing one.

What are you doing? We've established it fits the SSA but the SSA has nothing to do with "current production" Remington Model 700s Mr. McMahon is referring to so your quotations are misleading. As for the ring srews? I fail to understand why it is even relevant. I'm not going to take out a mounted screw to see if a fifty year old Redfield screw will work in its place. The information would be useless. Nobody is going to interchange Redfield screws on the Badger rings and vice versa.

Nice rifle! And good work on the stock ;)

I cant agree with the Silver Hill being the 'best' profile out there. Everyone that got one of these stocks had to put hours and hours of work on it. I dont consider this as being 'the best'. I personally got one last year, and it was awful. Far from being a M40 clone stock. No saying its not a good product, but its not the best. Most people were lucky because they have basic woodworking skills. If looking a 100% drop-in stock, dont get a Silver Hill. It wont fit, period. And its not finished. You have to buy some oil, supplies and whatnot to actually have a stock that ressembles a M40.

The Numrich stock is the closest. It is a perfect fit since it is actually a Remington product. That stock was used for the mid-80's police rifle. I dont think police departments had woodworkers fitting stocks to barreled action.

If lucky, one can find a plain ADL stock on eBay. No checkering, metal buttplate, heavy barrel channel (can be opened up if not).

Like I previously mentioned, Rob with Silverhill is aware and has corrected the problem. I just received my replacement stock and had the barreled action in place in less than a half hour. Now just need to send the barreled action off to get it Cerakote'd.

I'm pretty sure, by this time, that we all know that the SSA is a 40X and, obviously, has features that "_ production" Remington Model 700's don't have. I don't see any basis for debate, on those points and frankly I'm making no effort to do that.

SWFA has, in this email, applied a date and year certain to M700 receivers that the mount will fit. Absent the 40X features of the SSA Commemorative, the SSA appears to fall into that period of production. So, the term "current production" reasonably extends, by 'direct application' or, by 'linear extension.' True, they didn't speak to the SSA, directly and their answer might even be considered overly-broad, but it's entirely adequate. The fact is, I didn't ask them about the SSA, at all, just production years. My degree of knowledge on the SSA is, by my own admission, indeed limited, but isn't the receiver on the SSA a composite of the USMC M40 (40X) features superimposed over a 2006 Remington Model 700 receiver. I welcome your correction, if I'm in error.

Screws? I'm befuddled. If I am certain of anything, it would be that a 6-48, is a 6-48, is a 6-48, regardless of the year it was tapped. Wait a minute - I see my error now- I should know better than to refer to a Redfield "4 screw" scope ring set, as simply a Redfield 4 screw ring set. I treated them as interchangeable. My fault entirely.
That aside, I'd still like to know if they (an 'original' Redfield 4 screw scope ring set) will fit the Badger 'reproduction' 40X mount.

As you've seen before, I have no problem admitting to error and/or amending a post to reflect an error in content.

What are you doing? We've established it fits the SSA but the SSA has nothing to do with "current production" Remington Model 700s Mr. McMahon is referring to so your quotations are misleading. As for the ring srews? I fail to understand why it is even relevant. I'm not going to take out a mounted screw to see if a fifty year old Redfield screw will work in its place. The information would be useless. Nobody is going to interchange Redfield screws on the Badger rings and vice versa.

Yes the dove tails are interchangeable since it is just a copy of an original.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Sir, My thanks for that clarification.

I'm glad that Badger was that meticulous in it's replication of the original Redfield 40X. I had anticipated a change, of some type; substituting a proprietary design change, to avoid/side-step a patent infringement. Sorry, that's the way my brain works. My pursuit of that 'fact,' is purely selfish. To wit, if I don't have an original 40X mount, for my clone build, I still want to use an original ring set.

My thanks again.

Yes the dove tails are interchangeable since it is just a copy of an original.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

The only advantage that Badger has over a commercial set is the Badger has tighter tolerances. It is true out of the box. It would be extremely easy for someone that doesn't know to crush the side of the scope with the base windage screws or if the scope is slightly crooked it would put undue stress on the scope and possibly break something inside. Putting commericial redfield rings on this base would be defeating the purpose. Badger obtained a set for the USMC and reproduced it. It is a latter set for the M40. It may have even been on an early M40A1 for all I know. As for Redfield, they simply left any markings on it completely sterile. The Badger base has a little more MOA but so does the later Redfield bases.

Culpeper, I noted your previous enthusiasm with the 'dead-nuts' tolerances of the Badger mount and rings and your logic, that there is no substantive value in substituting the Badger rings, given their level of precision and fit, can't really be questioned. Looks to me, like the SWFA Badger M40 mount, is in my immediate future.

The only advantage that Badger has over a commercial set is the Badger has tighter tolerances. It is true out of the box. It would be extremely easy for someone that doesn't know to crush the side of the scope with the base windage screws or if the scope is slightly crooked it would put undue stress on the scope and possibly break something inside. Putting commericial redfield rings on this base would be defeating the purpose. Badger obtained a set for the USMC and reproduced it. It is a latter set for the M40. It may have even been on an early M40A1 for all I know. As for Redfield, they simply left any markings on it completely sterile. The Badger base has a little more MOA but so does the later Redfield bases.

Last edited:
Like I previously mentioned, Rob with Silverhill is aware and has corrected the problem. I just received my replacement stock and had the barreled action in place in less than a half hour. Now just need to send the barreled action off to get it Cerakote'd.

Cool. Tungsten color?

Culpeper, I noted your previous enthusiasm with the 'dead-nuts' tolerances of the Badger mount and rings and your logic, that there is no substantive value in substituting the Badger rings, given their level of precision and fit, can't really be questioned. Looks to me, like the SWFA Badger M40 mount, is in my immediate future.

Seems I have a parts surplus...
Redfield 'Patent Date' 722 Mounts, Deep Blued Finish, Complete w/screws (X2)
Redfield 'Patent Date' 721 Mount, Deep Blued Finish Complete w/screws (X1)
Redfield 700SA, Deep Blued Finish w/ Traditional Logo (X1)- sorry, no screws (X1)
Redfield 700-SA, Matte Finish, Complete w/TORX screws and solo 'R' stamp (X1)
Redfield 4 Screw LOW scope ring set, Deep Blued Finish w/ Slotted Screws and 1"-64 stamps (X1)
Redfield 4 Screw LOW scope ring set Deep Blued Finish w/ TORX screws and no markings (X1) -and-
A fine pair of early Redfield rings (Wide and Thin pairing - I.D. @ .975") LOW, Blued Finish (X1)

What to do, what to do??

I'm sure somebody will take those off your hands. :)

Cool. Tungsten color?

Well....that seems to be the million dollar question. They have a "Sniper Gray" that matches the M40a1 I used to carry, but I've never looked at an M40 to judge the color. Since my build is an original '68 rifle, I figured I would leave the bottom metal the factory matte black (I thought I read somewhere that's the correct color). That leaves the barreled action, butt plate, and bolt.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions??

Thanks

Well....that seems to be the million dollar question. They have a "Sniper Gray" that matches the M40a1 I used to carry, but I've never looked at an M40 to judge the color. Since my build is an original '68 rifle, I figured I would leave the bottom metal the factory matte black (I thought I read somewhere that's the correct color). That leaves the barreled action, butt plate, and bolt.

Thanks

I think you are on the right path. I would love to have kept my action the same color as it was because it matched the Park color of my M700 take off barrel as well. But after having the old six digit clip slotted it obviously had to be re parked.....the guys at PWS worked pretty hard to try and get it close but said that the chemicals they use there now are different than what they used back then. So they weren't able to match it exactly. They did a pretty good job but it is definitely a little darker than the barrel.
Not sure about Cerakoting. Haven't ever seen one done in the grey.

You are correct...the flat black on the original bottom metal is the correct color. I have spoke to several guys and have also read that Remington use to Black Oxide the bolts (according to Senich's book as well). I have seen and handled several original M700's and ive seen the butt plates unpainted or finished around the edges with only signs of finishing oils or laqour build up and have also seen a couple that have been painted black. Not sure if from the factory of after. I know that the stocks use to be finished/fitted with the butt plates attached so that they would fit cleanly....Hence why none of the butt plates you see now are the same size or dimension. Close but not the same.
Hope this helps and I didn't step on your toes Culpeper if i did...lol...Wasnt intentional.

What about Cerakote Sig Dark Grey for the barrelled action?

Let me know if Im in violation by asking here, but I'm in need of an early M700 trigger set with the flat slab side safety (single or double sere)....Anyone here got an extra they are willing to move on?

If Im out of line please dont boot me...lol. Just let me know.
Thanks!

If Im out of line please dont boot me...lol. Just let me know.
Thanks!

Get out of here!! ;)

Thanks

As we all know, the M40 have quite a bit of green in the parkerized finish. I wonder if a Cerakote with a shade of green would be closer. I was thinking:

ACU Green
Item: H-260Q
Description: Dark greenish grey

Mil Spec Green
Item: H-264Q
Description: Dark olive drab green

Dark Green
Item: H-131Q
Description: A dark green.

Sniper Green
Item: H-229Q

Benchmade OD Green
Item: H-233Q
Description: A forest green with a matte finish - 2.0 gloss units at a 60 degree angle

Green Beret Green
Item: H-251Q
Description:A very dark, almost black green.

rim8541, no problem. I only brought up Tungsten color because somewhere back somebody mentioned it.

Right on Cul, never really thought about the Ceracote direction I guess. Just always been tunneled toward the Parkerizing.....Wish I knew someone that was able to Park old school.

Get out of here!! ;)

As we all know, the M40 have quite a bit of green in the parkerized finish. I wonder if a Cerakote with a shade of green would be closer. I was thinking:

ACU Green

Mil Spec Green

Dark Green

Sniper Green

Benchmade OD Green
Description: A forest green with a matte finish - 2.0 gloss units at a 60 degree angle

Green Beret Green

That green park is sought out by people that own/buy M1 garands and 1903's. The general consensus is that its a creation of time, cosmoline, sweat and honest use. Lots of people try to recreate it but it just doesnt comeout the same. USMC 03's are often described as "Pee Yellow Park"

Most gunsmiths wont do 'old school' parkerizing. Ban on specific chemicals... I heard you can get that greenish hue by soaking the parts in diesel fuel or molasse... Old wive's tales I guess, nobody dare soaking a newly built rifle in diesel!!

I mentioned Sig Dark Grey because it looks to me the closest match.
You can add different colours to your base colour to achieve the tint you're after.

Most gunsmiths wont do 'old school' parkerizing. Ban on specific chemicals... I heard you can get that greenish hue by soaking the parts in diesel fuel or molasse... Old wive's tales I guess, nobody dare soaking a newly built rifle in diesel!!

The diesel deal is probably legit. There is a video of Marine armorers on Iwo Jima recovering Garands from the battle field. They are using rectangular tin tubs to dip and soak the entire barreled action. All that oil, sweat, and blood is recorded in the pores of the parkerizing. I dont think it can be artificially reproduced. I have followed the Garand/03 forums as I have an interest in those guns and lots of guys have tried to get that green hue with little success.

There is a gtg M1903 restorer that goes by the screen name Chuckindenver. I believe he old school parks his rifle rebuilds. He has dabbled in trying to achieve the green color. A quick PM to Chuck via the forum at Culvers Shooting Page, you will probably find him in the 03 section, may provide some information/resources for getting an old school parkerizing job and if there is anyway to achieve that been there, done that color.

Get out of here!! ;)

ACU Green

Mil Spec Green

Dark Green

Sniper Green

Benchmade OD Green

Green Beret Green

Mesa, thanks for all the color suggestions. I'll have to give them all a look-see. I've heard from a couple sources that Kedron at Modern Tactical blends his own colors and is a genius with Cerakote accurately matching most vintage military colors. They have a great video on their process as well. Of course I can't say first hand, but once I get my barreled action back, I'll definitely be posting pics regardless of the outcome.

I've also attached a link to Alternative Firearm Coating's color simulator. It gives you a pretty good idea of colors.

Gun Finish Gun Coating refinishing services by Alternative Gun Coatings

If there is actually someone out there, today, that is achieving the 'green' tint and will accept individual orders... send me a PM. Me and bunch of other people, given the frequency of this topic, of late.

The last person I corresponded with, was a small licensed commercial re-finisher that had both a reputation for being able to achieve the 'green' color and verifiable results. He no longer accepts parkerizing jobs for that 'shade' as the chemicals are classified as 'Hazardous,' cannot be shipped and are no longer commercially available. Too bad really. While not entirely cost prohibitive, he did say that the process was 'finicky' and that re-do's were very common; but when everything went right, the results were spectacular.

03A3_Springfield_7_zps3752dcf2.jpg

M1_Garand_2_zpsdff409ad.jpg

remington_45-3_zps161bebbe.jpg

Regrettably, the demand for the 'green' parkerizing never covered the costs/expenses and ultimately, environmental regulations closed the door.

Even if diesel fuel was a component, today's diesel fuel has significantly less sulphur. Is sulphur (yellow in color) a critical component? Possibly, but it certainly would work/react in conjunction with a few others chemicals, like a curing process. Someone else had mentioned Valvoline?

Cerakote is certainly an color option and if it weren't for how aggressive you have to be in removing it, to make a change, I'd consider it. Tough stuff- works on wood also.

Last edited:
Pm sent to ChuckinDenver. He does a lot if park. He's not an M40 builder but does good work on 03 and M1941 rifles. Last rifle I saw of his was a dark park which leads me to believe his experiments were not successful.

Pm sent to ChuckinDenver. He does a lot if park. He's not an M40 builder but does good work on 03 and M1941 rifles. Last rifle I saw of his was a dark park which leads me to believe his experiments were not successful.

Reply from ChuckinDenver to question if he can do green park.......

Re: Piss green park

unless you have a time machine,.no..
grease, and time is the only way...
iv tried many things, and all look like crap.
light grey, and dark grey are the only choices ...

Hes not the only guy that does park maybe someone else has unlocked the secret to getting gree tint in the park.

Ive seen research on the finish of new Garands from WWII and they left Springfield black yet their salty brothers in combat turned green from hard use. I use some WWII bore cleaner when I fire corrosive and its black with a strong creosote odor. I could imagine it played a role in tinging park green.

...but how do you explain the green on rifles probably never exposed to the environmental no nos of back than?

Mesa, thanks for all the color suggestions. I'll have to give them all a look-see. I've heard from a couple sources that Kedron at Modern Tactical blends his own colors and is a genius with Cerakote accurately matching most vintage military colors. They have a great video on their process as well. Of course I can't say first hand, but once I get my barreled action back, I'll definitely be posting pics regardless of the outcome.

I've also attached a link to Alternative Firearm Coating's color simulator. It gives you a pretty good idea of colors.

Gun Finish Gun Coating refinishing services by Alternative Gun Coatings

I just wanted to post an update for my build. I've got the metal 99% inletetted and am ready to send the barrel/receiver for coating. This project is so close now I can feel the trigger break!

Attachments

• Img_0106.jpg
    Img_0106.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Img_0107.jpg
    Img_0107.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I just wanted to post an update for my build. I've got the metal 99% inletetted and am ready to send the barrel/receiver for coating. This project is so close now I can feel the trigger break!

You're almost there! Nice work ;). Is it me or the barrel looks thicker than the standard Rem Varmint profile?

You're almost there! Nice work ;). Is it me or the barrel looks thicker than the standard Rem Varmint profile?

Honestly, it does look heavier. I've measured with calipers and compared to the original '68 barrel that came on the rifle and it's dead on. I can only assume that in the white, the glare and reflection make it appear heavier. Once I get it coated, it should look correct. After all, dark is slimming.

Here is one of the M700 I had built this last fall by Ssgt. Hahn at PWS....Picked it up from him in Feb. Came out beautiful. Yes the parkerizing on the receiver is a little darker than the original take off barrel. The darkness is enhanced a little in the picture by shadows and lighting. Not as dark as it appears in the pic. It was originally built with the Green contract scope (which has a pretty interesting and cool story about it in its self) but I removed it for another build that is just about complete as well. Replaced it with the black satin gen2. Picked up the original black satin Gen2 in a little bartering/horse trading from a good friend and Hide member.
-Original Black Satin Gen2 Redfield Acu Range 3X9 (with tombstone)
-Original M700 take off barrel date stamp Oct. 66
-Six Digit Clip slotted action
-Original Redfield 40X (marked) base with 4 screw 1-64 stamped low rings
-513T sling swivels
-Original Aluminum Butt Plate fitted to the stock
-Silver Hill Stock (30+ hrs of wood removal done. Exterior and inletting. Over 1/2 inch of overall circumference removed from the end off the forend to the receiver and 1/4" removed from the receiver to the buttplate). Receiver bedded with Basonite as they were done in the 60's. Receiver had to be bedded in order for it to be shootable.
Overall t came out beautiful.
Have another just about finished. Same specs as above except will be in an original Vietnam M700 take off/return stock and the Green contract Redfield.
image4_zpsc19f7f7e.jpg
image-2_zps629b833d.jpg
image-1_zps2a2bbf77.jpg

Pics of the build in progress...
IMG_3584_zpsbcfec608.jpg
IMG_3556_zps7f5bf09d.jpg
IMG_3560_zps491f4625.jpg

Here is one of the M700 I had built this last fall by Ssgt. Hahn at PWS....Picked it up from him in Feb. Came out beautiful. Yes the parkerizing on the receiver is a little darker than the original take off barrel. The darkness is enhanced a little in the picture by shadows and lighting. Not as dark as it appears in the pic. It was originally built with the Green contract scope (which has a pretty interesting and cool story about it in its self) but I removed it for another build that is just about complete as well. Replaced it with the black satin gen2. Picked up the original black satin Gen2 in a little bartering/horse trading from a good friend and Hide member.
-513T sling swivels
-Silver Hill Stock (30+ hrs of wood removal done. Exterior and inletting. Over 1/2 inch of overall circumference removed from the end off the forend to the receiver and 1/4" removed from the receiver to the buttplate). Receiver bedded with Basonite as they were done in the 60's. Receiver had to be bedded in order for it to be shootable.
Have another just about finished. Same specs as above except will be in an original Vietnam M700 take off/return stock and the Green contract Redfield.
image4_zpsc19f7f7e.jpg
image-2_zps629b833d.jpg
image-1_zps2a2bbf77.jpg

IMG_3584_zpsbcfec608.jpg
IMG_3556_zps7f5bf09d.jpg
IMG_3560_zps491f4625.jpg

I do have a question. I also have a Silverhill stock and I noticed yours has a brass pin. Did you install this yourself?
thanks

usmchog....I did install it myself. I cant remember the diameter bar stock I bought but I do remember I had to by a 3' section for 2" piece...lol.
Later realizing, that if your just going for aesthetics and want to save money, you can get get creative by just looking through the brass picture hanging hardware section of any hardware store.
Good luck with your Silverhill. Wish there was someone else making them. Their customer service was great but I personally think their M700 rep. stock is far from what is advertised. The amount of wood I removed from it with a hand plain was ridiculous.

Hey Mesca, Thanks! It is from the same batch that was purchased from the same estate auction but this particular one didn't come from Chandler. I havent had a chance to shoot it yet. The weather in Lexington as well as being deployed has hampered my shooting over this past winter and spring. I have 4 builds I need to shoot and zero still. Ill keep you posted.
Ssgt Hahn shot it in the test shed at PWS and said it was shooting just over a min. Ill run some different ammo through it and see what I can get out of it.
Didnt have my expectations real high as the barrel is over 40yrs old. Although according Hahn, after trimming back the barrel, fitting everything, truing the bolt face and lapping it in, he said it shot batter than he expected.

-513T sling swivels
image4_zpsc19f7f7e.jpg
image-2_zps629b833d.jpg
image-1_zps2a2bbf77.jpg

IMG_3584_zpsbcfec608.jpg
IMG_3556_zps7f5bf09d.jpg
IMG_3560_zps491f4625.jpg

Send those turret caps to me I'll anodize them for you.