• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 build - WIP

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    This thread may drag on a few months but everyone loves some m40.

On a mission to clone most of the USMCs bolt guns (wound up doing some ARs too on the way). M40a5 was my first, darpa xm3 is almost done and snagged an E receiver at a gunshow for a deal i couldnt refuse. Found Wyosniper's 6digit here and again for the price and rarity they are starting to become snatched it up... and here we are.

-6 digit receiver - no clipslot yet, raven once again stopped taking work.
    -Flat safety trigger with X screws - tuned it to my prefered 2lb pull. I have a 2 piece sear im fiddling with too make it work.
    -16601 butt plate taken off ebay
    -Badger repro mount
    -milled follower
    -bdl bottom metal -oddly this was a newer metal but came with the milled follower. Was from a buddy who was the original owner so it stayed together for its life.
    -80-90% finished stock. Was a cheap ebay grab and figured id see how my wood working skills are. Just needs to have the edges rounded off, nose reprofile, slimming down around the tang and a good sand.

I do all my own work (minus milling slots) so youll get a good step by step. Still need to source a tombstone redfield and decide on my barrel choice. With the amount of 308s i have ive toyed with the idea of chambering it in 6.5 or 6 creed...but i feel like im committing an unforgivable sin with that so well see.
    20200114_175538.jpg

What barrel are you going to use?

It will become one of your favorite rifles to shoot.

Don't feel wedded to .308. With the benefits of 6mm flavors you may really enjoy that.

I limited myself to what I reload. Love both my .223 and .308 M40s

I agree with pmcline about the .308 situation. If it is a "shooter" build any caliber you want. If it were something that you had as a "spec clone" using all the OG parts... then I would stick to the .308. I have a M40A3 that looks like a spec clone from a foot away, however it is 6.5cm and has a barrel nut to make barrel changes easier. My A5 is Raven built and has a bit of OG parts (minus action) and it is in .308.

Best of luck on your build ?

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
    I agree, I've built two XM-3's. One in 308 and the other in 223. Thinking of building the next one in 22lr using a Voodoo or 40X barreled action.

What barrel are you going to use?

It will become one of your favorite rifles to shoot.

Don't feel wedded to .308. With the benefits of 6mm flavors you may really enjoy that.

I limited myself to what I reload. Love both my .223 and .308 M40s

If I go 308 it will be a douglas as per replacement spec. Otherwise bartlein/mullerworks/kreiger/hart in the varmint profile.

Was thinking a batter bc bullet solely because of the reticle type...less drop would be beneficial to a non dialing scope. But at the same time this isn't a comp gun...maybe occasional hunting but purely for fun and history (close history... not to the lengths some go). Thhis has been my mental struggle haha. All part of the process.

I had a duplex reticle Redfield on mine and felt it was holding the rifle back.

I moved to a Weaver T10 and found it to be a fantastic scope but it was no longer an M40 to my eye.

Ive settled on the Leupold M40 repro scope with a mil reticle. Its obviously not an old Redfield profile but its close enough and Im loving the ability to leave the turrets capped and shoot holds.

Its perfect now, lots of fun.

Im an advocate of get the best caliber and best barrel in your opinion.

Id only go "spec" if you had some original parts or really desire that true clone ability.

My most accurate/favorite rifle is an M40Aish with a Kreiger and a variety of M40 series parts.

My next build is going to be M40ish with a DBM and S&B - it will be an absolute killer.

My next build is going to be M40ish with a DBM and S&B - it will be an absolute killer.

Im sure you agree familiar with it but look at the XM-3. The final issued was badger M4 metal but there was at least one test rifle used that had the badger M5 so its kosher. Utilize a nxs F1 3-15 and badger efr rail and you could have a very close clone and get what you want feature wise.

Im sure you agree familiar with it but look at the XM-3. The final issued was badger M4 metal but there was at least one test rifle used that had the badger M5 so its kosher. Utilize a nxs F1 3-15 and badger efr rail and you could have a very close clone and get what you want feature wise.

You make too much sense for my irrational mind.........

tHIS is on the short list...I have one more M40A1 to build then this...Everything you would want in a truck gun.

Regards
    DT

Reactions: FUNCTIONAL
    tHIS is on the short list...I have one more M40A1 to build then this...Everything you would want in a truck gun.

Regards
    DT

I have one more part to either make or track down until my XM-3 is done. 210 RDFs are going to be one hell of a combo with that rifle.

M40a1 is next on the list...storing all of the couch money for a CMP return MST now haha.

Reactions: D_TROS