• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

M40 Stock

The really cool thing, is from allllllll my emails to companies in both the coatings and firearms industries, NO ONE was ever able to tell me how cerakote competes with black oxide in terms of FINISH wear resistance. They kept on trying their hardest to sway over to the corrosion protection, and all the other benefits or lack thereof concerning oxiding, when all I was ever interested in was how long does the black stay on before it wears off lol. The guy at LRI (i think Eric?) actually used to black oxide stuff all the time at his old job, and he the only guy that was capable of making a comparison between black oxides finish durability and cerakotes. This is why it pays to go to high end companies like LRI.

I will try oxiding first, and if I start to see wear around the sharp 90 degree edges like the muzzle, bolt handle, etc etc then maybe I'll try a spray on type coating next. In my experience with military issue weapons, the surface conversions like phosphating, park/ oxiding & ano, wears considerably better than any of the coatings I've handled in the past. (which has been every single one of them except dlc to date)

I'm actually going to finish this rifle and dial it in first before oxiding it, as there's always something my little brain sees that needs customizing, and I don't want to oxide her and then start changing crap around, so the first pictures will be in the white, or stainless if you will.

I would guess black oxide to be less durable in the sense you will get wear on the "high points" that get handled but it will be more durable in the sense that it is wear from use where cerakote could delaminate and show a chip or some other form of exposure to the elements.

I dont think oxide is as durable as parkerizing and parkerizing is the closest thing I would relate oxide to if not bluing.

I see. Well we shall see soon :) LRI said that they're similar in wear resistance so, I will take one for the team and probably do both at some point. I certainly have done more expensive shit just for the sake of "lets see..." on cars and guns lol. I have soo much money spent on just scientific curiosity than I care to remember lol.

Anyone have the sling swivel placement measurements handy? Looking for the distance from the buttplate and distance from the tip of the forend for the swivels.

front is 2 1/2" the butt swivel is also 2 1/2 " measured from the lower wood not the butt plate.
sling swivel.jpg

Would anyone have a spare buttplate they would be willing to sell and ship (UK) ? I've sourced everything else, just need that last bit.

I am not associated with the seller in any way but Beever156 has another M40 stock available.

I have a comparison of the Taylor Precision Stock versus a SSA M40 stock. Pretty close in most aspects but the TP stock is about 2 inches longer in the fore end. The total length from the front of the recoil lug is 10 3/4". Any thoughts as to why that might be? I'm pretty sure that both are modeled after the Type 1 styled m40 stocks but wanted to get your opinion. Thanks.

Attachments

• Untitledx.png
    Untitledx.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Reactions: deltawiskey
I have a comparison of the Taylor Precision Stock versus a SSA M40 stock. Pretty close in most aspects but the TP stock is about 2 inches longer in the fore end. The total length from the front of the recoil lug is 10 3/4". Any thoughts as to why that might be? I'm pretty sure that both are modeled after the Type 1 styled m40 stocks but wanted to get your opinion. Thanks.
Those are both great looking pieces of wood.

I wonder if OAL was a factor when stocking rifles.

You would think our Eli Whitney based manufacturing would churn out exact duplicates but from looking at the variation in length of some pre64 Winchester stocks there was a lot of variation in length and girth in my small sample of 4 stocks.

I bet even at Remington if they had a good piece of walnut and there was going to be a defect at the very nose of an otherwise suitable piece of walnut they found a way.

Now the differences between Dep Taylor and SSA…..who knows.

I’d like to look at more examples from each and see if there are differences among the same production.

I’m guessing SSA and DepTaylor were a bit more discerning in choosing their raw stock for the limited runs so the variation would be minimal.

But!

SSA may have built off a short original Remington M40 and Dep Taylor may have CNCd off of measurements from a long M40.

Thanks Pmclaine, That would make sense. I have a gunville coming in this week. Will take pictures of the 3 together once received. I will say this Taylor Precision stock is absolutely beautiful...Pics don't do it justice...

I wish Dep Taylor would build more.

For a short bit he was making or going to make wood sticks for Vudoo .22’s. It was a beautiful looking rifle.

Good luck with your Gunville. My hearsay is that it will test your woodworking skills.

Reactions: deltawiskey
Yikes, that's bad ass. Most artists aren't good at the business side...

My wood working skills suck, so my gunville will probably be up for sale shortly...

Yikes, that's bad ass. Most artists aren't good at the business side...

My wood working skills suck, so my gunville will probably be up for sale shortly...
I had never done a stock before and made a gunville m40 stock turn out.
Be patient and take your time.
I thoroughly enjoyed it but it took a lot of sanding. A lot.

How’s this one ? OEM Remington Stock

Attachments

• 2BE74904-126F-44D7-9E9E-64159E39D7B6.jpeg
    2BE74904-126F-44D7-9E9E-64159E39D7B6.jpeg
    382 KB · Views: 45

Those are both great looking pieces of wood.

I wonder if OAL was a factor when stocking rifles.

You would think our Eli Whitney based manufacturing would churn out exact duplicates but from looking at the variation in length of some pre64 Winchester stocks there was a lot of variation in length and girth in my small sample of 4 stocks.

I bet even at Remington if they had a good piece of walnut and there was going to be a defect at the very nose of an otherwise suitable piece of walnut they found a way.

Now the differences between Dep Taylor and SSA…..who knows.

I’d like to look at more examples from each and see if there are differences among the same production.

I’m guessing SSA and DepTaylor were a bit more discerning in choosing their raw stock for the limited runs so the variation would be minimal.

But!

SSA may have built off a short original Remington M40 and Dep Taylor may have CNCd off of measurements from a long M40.

This was covered on the M40 Forum long ago when Dep started making his prototype stocks. He modeled his stock directly from a Chuck Mawhinney edition M40 replica that Chuck was selling years ago (Marty had a bunch too). As I recall, the Chuck Mawhinney stocks were a copy of the SSA M40 stocks, which were a copy of an original USMC M40 stock. So, Dep had essentially copied a copy of a copy for his prototypes. He even copied the lightening cut that was in the barrel channel of the Chuck Mawhinney stocks. When he posted photos of that, he was told by forum members that wasn't a correct feature of the original USMC M40 stocks, so he filled it in and made a regular barrel channel.

Dep wasn't using a CNC or anything, at least not at first. In the beginning he was using a type of pantograph machine that he assembled wherever he was making the stocks. I'm pretty sure that Remington used pantograph machines to make the original USMC M40 stocks. A properly set-up pantograph can replicate one or more stocks at a time (depending on if it's set up for multiples), and produce a high quality product. Some light sanding afterwards and the stocks come out pretty damn uniform.

"I bet even at Remington if they had a good piece of walnut and there was going to be a defect at the very nose of an otherwise suitable piece of walnut they found a way." - pmclaine

Remington selected some nice wood for the original USMC M40 stocks, but they didn't just "find a way" or whatever if there was a defect. Even on the military stocks, if there was a defect, they didn't use it! I've owned more original USMC M40 wood stocks than probably anyone else in the world. Back when I was active on the M40 forum in 2016, I took measurements from 7 original USMC M40 stocks in my collection, and posted the results on the forum (I've owned many more since then, but never updated the chart with new measurements). Using a caliper, I took measurements (the best I possibly could) from 27 different places on each of the original stocks, and then recorded the results in an easy to use table. The results were impressive, Remington was holding very tight tolerances for the original M40 wood stocks! The differences between them was almost negligible. So, Remington didn't just "find a way" to make a piece of wood work, they obviously took their job very seriously and produced some very high quality stocks for that time period!

"SSA may have built off a short original Remington M40 and Dep Taylor may have CNCd off of measurements from a long M40." - pmclaine

There are no long or short USMC M40 stocks, there are just USMC M40 stocks and that's it. Everything else is just a copy or some other reproduction. I only have original USMC M40 stocks in my collection, I don't have any SSA, Chuck Mawhinney, Dep stocks or eBay stocks to compare to the originals. I have absolutely no idea why Dep's stock is longer than an SSA stock. Maybe the SSA stock is off and his stock is closer to the original M40 measurements. Maybe the Dep stock is off because he wanted to change the way it looked and functioned. He did make versions with DBM, so why not change something else if it makes the stock better for modern applications or something? Those are just some random thoughts of mine that mean absolutely nothing, because I don't have any idea why the 2 stocks in the previous photos are different lengths. All I can say definitively is that there is only 1 USMC M40 stock (what collectors refer to as a Type 1), and that's that.

And before any asks me for this information........

Here it is:​

Please keep in mind that this is as accurate and repeatable with each original USMC M40 stock as I could possibly make it. I've done an enormous amount of first-hand research with the entire M40 series of sniper rifles, all of which is has resulted in completely new information for the collector/historian community. M40 stock research like this has never been done before, this is all new information that isn't in any reference book.

If you're finishing a wood stock for your M40 clone build, please use the information I've provided below. Compare my measurements with the measurements from your stock and see how well they match up. The closer that your stock's measurements are to what I have listed in my chart below, the closer your stock will be to the original USMC M40 stocks.

The first two stocks on the chart (#3 and #14) are named after the rack numbers that were painted or stamped onto each of these stocks. The next four stocks on the chart are named after the last 4 digits of the original M40 serial number that was stamped on the bottom of the grip. If anyone needs information about the number stamps used on the bottom of the stock's grip, I can take measurements from the stamped numbers and post that information (clone builders might want to replicate these numbers on their stocks using the last 4 digits of their rifle's receiver serial number). The last stock on the list didn't have any identifying marks, so it's named after it's lack of numbers.

The 7 stocks are all in a row across the top of the chart. The 28 areas of measurement (of which only 27 are used) are all in a column down the chart. The A to Z letters in the chart correspond to the A to Z letters in the list below this paragraph. The list below tells you what measurement each letter represents. Since the list below isn't descriptive and concise enough on it's own, I also included photographs of an original USMC M40 stock with the A to Z measurements drawn onto the stock in the photos. Each line on the stock in the photos has a letter next to it, that letter can be matched up to it's counterpart on the descriptive list. All of this information is probably extremely obvious to you guys, but I still wanted to document everything in case some people had any questions.

One last note, in the photos below, you'll see 2 photos of the M40 stock's forend. This is not the same photo/information erroneously posted a second time, each of the 2 stock forend photos contains a different set of measurements. So, please look closely at them! Let me know if you guys have any questions about these M40 stock measurements, I'll do my best to answer them.

All measurements below and in the chart are in inches.

A. Length from the front of the recoil lug to the tip of the forend

B. Length from the tip of the forend to the center of the front sling swivel

C. Height of the stock at the tip of the forend (bottom of the stock to bottom of the barrel channel)

D. Height of the stock at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

E. Height of the stock at the front sling swivel

F. Height of the stock midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

G. Height of the stock at the front of the recoil lug

H. Width of the stock at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

I. Width of the stock at the front sling swivel

J. Width of the stock midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

K. Width of the stock at the front of the recoil lug

L. Width of the barrel channel at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

M. Width of the barrel channel at the front sling swivel

N. Width of the barrel channel midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

O. Width of the barrel channel at the front of the recoil lug

P. Height of grip

Q. Width of grip

R. Circumference of the grip

S. Grip protrusion below the stock

T. Length of thumb cut on the cheek piece

U. Length of cheek piece

V. Height of cheek piece

W. Width of cheek piece

X. Height of butt

Y. Width of butt

Z. Length from end of the butt of the center of the rear sling swivel

OAL – Stock overall length (without buttplate)

Arc – The arc of the grip (I never got around to measuring this area of the stock, so there isn't any arc information recorded on the chart)

1000008847.jpg

1000008848.jpg

All the information in the chart below is measurement in inches:
1000008850.jpg

Yellow highlight = bedding material throws off the measurements

Yes, I still have all the information I ever posted on the M40 Forum, nothing of mine is lost.......

Last edited:
How’s this one ? OEM Remington Stock
Detailed measurements on a reproduction M40 stock can be exactly the same as an original USMC M40 stock, but the brass pin that's visible on the right side of the stock in your photo will always be a dead giveaway that it's not a USMC M40 stock. This is not any type of criticism towards you or your rifle, I'm just using your photo as an example of a clone with a brass pin visible on the right side of the stock.

It's a small detail that everyone needs to remember when making a reproduction USMC M40 stock. On original USMC M40 stocks, the brass pin is only visible on the left side of the stock. On Remington built wood stock rifles (other than the M40), the brass pin will usually be seen on both sides of the OEM Remington stock. Technically, it's a long, thin screw, but I've always called it a pin.

Last edited:
Reactions: msgriff and Haney
Thanks much for posting USMCSGT0331, I have been looking for a proper M40 stock for 3 years, missed out on the ones sold on gb last year. I was saddened when you removed your content from the M40 forum site, I understood why at the time, but your information on the M40 is always the defining authority. Still looking forward to the book you have alluded to.....

This was covered on the M40 Forum long ago when Dep started making his prototype stocks. He modeled his stock directly from a Chuck Mawhinney edition M40 replica that Chuck was selling years ago (Marty had a bunch too). As I recall, the Chuck Mawhinney stocks were a copy of the SSA M40 stocks, which were a copy of an original USMC M40 stock. So, Dep had essentially copied a copy of a copy for his prototypes. He even copied the lightening cut that was in the barrel channel of the Chuck Mawhinney stocks. When he posted photos of that, he was told by forum members that wasn't a correct feature of the original USMC M40 stocks, so he filled it in and made a regular barrel channel.

Dep wasn't using a CNC or anything, at least not at first. In the beginning he was using a type of pantograph machine that he assembled wherever he was making the stocks. I'm pretty sure that Remington used pantograph machines to make the original USMC M40 stocks. A properly set-up pantograph can replicate one or more stocks at a time (depending on if it's set up for multiples), and produce a high quality product. Some light sanding afterwards and the stocks come out pretty damn uniform.

"I bet even at Remington if they had a good piece of walnut and there was going to be a defect at the very nose of an otherwise suitable piece of walnut they found a way." - pmclaine

Remington selected some nice wood for the original USMC M40 stocks, but they didn't just "find a way" or whatever if there was a defect. Even on the military stocks, if there was a defect, they didn't use it! I've owned more original USMC M40 wood stocks than probably anyone else in the world. Back when I was active on the M40 forum in 2016, I took measurements from about 7 original USMC M40 stocks in my collection, and posted the results on the forum (I've owned many more since then, but never updated the chart with new measurements). Using a caliper, I took measurements (the best I possibly could) from 27 different places on each of the original stocks, and then recorded the results in an easy to use table. The results were impressive, Remington was holding very tight tolerances for the original M40 wood stocks! The differences between them was almost negligible. So, Remington didn't just "find a way" to make a piece of wood work, they obviously took their job very seriously and produced some very high quality stocks for that time period!

"SSA may have built off a short original Remington M40 and Dep Taylor may have CNCd off of measurements from a long M40." - pmclaine

There is no long or short M40 stock, there are USMC M40 stocks and that's it. Everything else is just a copy or some other reproduction. I only have original USMC M40 stocks in my collection, I don't have any SSA, Chuck Mawhinney, Dep stocks or eBay stocks to compare to the originals. I have absolutely no idea why Dep's stock is longer than an SSA stock. Maybe the SSA stock is off and his stock is closer to the original M40 measurements. Maybe the Dep stock is off because he wanted to change the way it looked and functioned. He did make versions with DBM, so why not change something else if it makes the stock better for modern applications or something? Those are just some random thoughts of mine that mean absolutely nothing, because I don't have bo idea why the 2 stocks in the previous photos are different lengths. All I can say definitely is that there is only 1 USMC M40 stock (what collectors refer to as a Type 1), and that's that.

And before any asks me for this information........

Here it is:​

Please keep in mind that this is as accurate and repeatable with each original USMC M40 stock as I could possibly make it. I've done an enormous amount of first-hand research with the entire M40 series of sniper rifles, all of which is has resulted in completely new information for the collector/historian community. M40 stock research like this has never been done before, this is all new information that isn't in any reference book.

If you're finishing a wood stock for your M40 clone build, please use the information I've provided below. Compare my measurements with the measurements from your stock and see how well they match up. The closer that your stock's measurements are to what I have listed in my chart below, the closer your stock will be to the original USMC M40 stocks.

The first two stocks on the chart (#3 and #14) are named after the rack numbers that were painted or stamped onto each of these stocks. The next four stocks on the chart are named after the last 4 digits of the original M40 serial number that was stamped on the bottom of the grip. If anyone needs information about the number stamps used on the bottom of the stock's grip, I can take measurements from the stamped numbers and post that information (clone builders might want to replicate these numbers on their stocks using the last 4 digits of their rifle's receiver serial number). The last stock on the list didn't have any identifying marks, so it's named after it's lack of numbers.

The 7 stocks are all in 5a row across the top of the chart. The 28 areas of measurement (of which only 27 are used) are all in a column down the chart. The A to Z letters in the chart correspond to the A to Z letters in the list below this paragraph. The list below tells you what measurement each letter represents. Since the list below isn't descriptive and concise enough on it's own, I also included photographs of an original USMC M40 stock with the A to Z measurements drawn onto the stock in the photos. Each line on the stock in the photos has a letter next to it, that letter can be matched up to it's counterpart on the descriptive list. All of this information is probably extremely obvious to you guys, but I still wanted to document everything in case some people had any questions.

One last note, in the photos below, you'll see 2 photos of the M40 stock's forend. This is not the same photo/information erroneously posted a second time, each of the 2 stock forend photos contains a different set of measurements. So, please look closely at them! Let me know if you guys have any questions about these M40 stock measurements, I'll do my best to answer them.

A. Length from the front of the recoil lug to the tip of the forend

B. Length from the tip of the forend to the center of the front sling swivel

C. Height of the stock at the tip of the forend (bottom of the stock to bottom of the barrel channel)

D. Height of the stock at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

E. Height of the stock at the front sling swivel

F. Height of the stock midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

G. Height of the stock at the front of the recoil lug

H. Width of the stock at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

I. Width of the stock at the front sling swivel

J. Width of the stock midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

K. Width of the stock at the front of the recoil lug

L. Width of the barrel channel at the tip of the forend (right before it starts to taper off)

M. Width of the barrel channel at the front sling swivel

N. Width of the barrel channel midway on the forend (4 inches from the front of the recoil lug)

O. Width of the barrel channel at the front of the recoil lug

P. Height of grip

Q. Width of grip

R. Circumference of the grip

S. Grip protrusion below the stock

T. Length of thumb cut on the cheek piece

U. Length of cheek piece

V. Height of cheek piece

W. Width of cheek piece

X. Height of butt

Y. Width of butt

Z. Length from end of the butt of the center of the rear sling swivel

OAL – Stock overall length (without buttplate)

Arc – The arc of the grip (I never got around to measuring this area of the stock, so there isn't any arc information recorded on the chart)

View attachment 8337279
View attachment 8337280
View attachment 8337281
Yellow highlight = bedding material throws off the measurements

Yes, I still have all the information I ever posted on the M40 Forum, nothing of mine is lost.......
You need to hurry up and get that book published.

M40 Forum was a great place and it’s amazing that maybe 100 years from now some museum is going to be displaying something calling it a representation of a VN M40 in a reproduction Dep Taylor stock.

I wish I had bought more of those when he first offered them. They were scary cheap as in I thought we might get balsa wood.

I know the military had a spec for its wood and it doesn’t typically make for beautiful rifles, boring straight grain for strength and no defects.

I think about what was happening at Springfield Armory and how the mil made due with wood. Things like 03 “scant” stocks - not enough wood to make a proper pistol grip but still nice wood do put the idea of a pistol grip in there.

Or IHC Garands with all sorts of oddity at the butt of their stocks.

Winchester also, but Winchester was also weird in their Garand production. It’s odd some people think the Winchester Garand the best production of the war for some reason associating them with their commercial rifles but Winchester never built beyond its 1941 contract drawings while Springfield updated through the war.

Winchester, concerned with profit, unlike tax funded Springfield also sometimes evidenced they were trying to get extra time out of a cutting tool.

But 03s, Garands and Winchester commercial stocks are not Remington mid 60’s.

Ryan has the hard evidence in hand. I wish Smiley would chime in with some talk in the shop or production process at the time. As they referred to the stocks as “hand bedded” or something like that, meaning there was no bedding but they fit each stock to each action. It makes sense they didn’t “make due” on the wood and production numbers not being in the millions for the 40 they could cull marginal wood.

I had never done a stock before and made a gunville m40 stock turn out.
Be patient and take your time.
I thoroughly enjoyed it but it took a lot of sanding. A lot.
Thanks for the words of encouragement Ranchhand. Appreciate it.

Thanks USMCSGT0331, Awesome info as always. I'm really interested in what your measurement "A" was, on average, for the real M40 stocks. Just based on your picture it appears that the SSA stocks are closer to your original than the TP stock. In all other ways the TP stock is fairly close to the SSA. Having said that, I don't plan on taking any wood off of the TP stock to match. If you are able to post the info you have I can take the action out of the SSA rifle to compare measurements if anybody wants them. Be good info to have for the SSA guys out there.
I really appreciate all of the input from you guys. I was fairly active on M40rifle.com years ago "Capthook73". Been out of the game for a minute but the bug has bitten me again. I absolutely love these rifles and this is the only reason I'm on the hide...
Thanks again.

Thanks USMCSGT0331, Awesome info as always. I'm really interested in what your measurement "A" was, on average, for the real M40 stocks. If you are able to post the info you have I can take the action out of the SSA rifle to compare measurements if anybody wants them.
It sounds like you're not able to see the chart I posted at the end of my post. That chart has all the information you're looking for, and even has the average of "A" for all 7 original USMC M40 stocks (it's 10.0804"). The very last column has the mean/average for each row, it's the average for all 7 original M40 stocks for each letter measurement. I also did the same thing with the standard deviation so that everyone can see how incredibly uniform Remington kept their production for these stocks. Please let me know if the images aren't showing up in my post and I'll fix it.

It sounds like you're not able to see the chart I posted at the end of my post. That chart has all the information you're looking for, and even has the average of "A" for all 7 original USMC M40 stocks (it's 10.0804"). The very last column has the mean/average for each row, it's the average for all 7 original M40 stocks for each letter measurement. I also did the same thing with the standard deviation so that everyone can see how incredibly uniform Remington kept their production for these stocks. Please let me know if the images aren't showing up in my post and I'll fix it.
Lol...I see it now. Not sure why it wasn't showing up before. Thanks. Your attention to detail boggles the mind...Are you taking deposits for your book???

Last edited:
This are all OEM Remington stocks . I have been involved with the clone thing for many many years with the Harley’s and 32 Fords . Unless it is the real produced as from the produced it is always a clone . There many me no way to reproduce anything that is 100 % real . A clone is a clone . There are 3 OEM Remington stocks in my collection , none of the three are exactly the same , but none are clone reproduction stocks .

Attachments

• F1D4F40E-E50F-409F-A950-6950F94D0375.jpeg
    F1D4F40E-E50F-409F-A950-6950F94D0375.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: Frank Green
So I was able to take some measurements on the TP Stock. Measurement "A" was 10 3/4", as previously stated. "OAL" was 31". It would appear that those 2 dimensions alone account for most of the difference in the 2 stocks. (There's another inch in there somewhere) I'm not really concerned, as Deathrow says, they are both clones and not the real deal...I was just curious about why there would be a difference in the 2 stocks. Really happy with both. If anyone wants any additional dimensions for either stock, let me know.