• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40 Stock

I don’t see any available for$575

My bad.

I looked through the ones showing on the page and they are all sold.

Have you messaged them to see if more stocks are coming.

No Sir I haven’t asked that specific question but I have asked if they had any in the $500 range a couple times and they never replied .

I think Taylor made the first batch of stocks in late 2016 (I recall all the m40 forum orders) and a 2nd batch of 50 stocks in 2017. Apparently the last one or two of the high-end/fancy grain stocks were recently sold. The window closed for inexpensive stocks a couple of years ago, and the last 'cheap' one he had for $575 sold in late 2019. I suspect all the green scopes drove up demand too.

So, the only two options at this point is a WTB ad here and the M40 forum, and watch eBay and gunbroker auctions.. Either an early Remington PSS wood stock or the Taylor stocks are really the only two drop-in options that I am aware of. Good luck in the hunt.

Reactions: pmclaine and fe1
I took a Remington M&P stock, reshaped the forend, and was good to go.
M40-repro#2.jpg

I’ve read posts that Gunville m40ish stocks are maybe “65 percent” drop in and require some wood working skills...

I'd look at a McMillan HTG in Mcwoody or Mcwalnut stock. Best of both worlds.

Remington 700 police.

There was a wood one recently (within last two months) in the Hide PX was a real nice rifle.

I don't recall seeing it bought.
I looked today and saw 700 PSS but not the wood stock version.

I looked today and saw 700 PSS but not the wood stock version.

It sold

It was back about Dec 20.

I posted a link over at M40 rifle in the M40 section.

Think he wanted a tad over $1000, some of the more astute collectors didnt think it a deal. I saw a means to get an M40

Reactions: fe1

Yea, another guy that hopes he can cash in on other desperate people with more money than brains. I bet his reserve is 600 because of the old crap excuse "supply and demand"... Which in my opinion supply and demand has zero to do with genuine logic lol.

I bought one of this sellers...

s-l1600.jpg

short action wood stocks.

Its off at LRI now. We will see what it becomes.

Its not correct for M40, close but missing the cheek rise pad and safety bump.

Mine is pretty nicely figured, it should make a nice rifle.

It likely will be the weakest piece of my design @LongRifles Inc. will have some magic to do with it.

Wood stocks can be had cheap. Hope fully they are aged correctly. It will be a shame if a beautiful rifle is built and than the wood twists or splits.

Wood stocks can be expensive too.

Im listing a Springfield Armory (the real one) M1903 pre WWII "C" stock over at the CMP forum. Its NOS in rosin wrapping paper.

If you are an '03 person, crap any kind of a rifle person there is nothing more beautiful than a pre war 1903 stock, the dimensions are slim, yet aggressive, just a beautiful design - to me.

I paid $500 for it close to ten years ago. It was going to be on a pet rifle at some point but Im getting into other things so I listed it to sell. Its expensive but it reflects SA is no longer building stocks and a pre WWII stock will never be made again.

I bought one of this sellers...

s-l1600.jpg

short action wood stocks.

Its off at LRI now. We will see what it becomes.

Its not correct for M40, close but missing the cheek rise pad and safety bump.

Mine is pretty nicely figured, it should make a nice rifle.

It likely will be the weakest piece of my design @LongRifles Inc. will have some magic to do with it.

Wood stocks can be had cheap. Hope fully they are aged correctly. It will be a shame if a beautiful rifle is built and than the wood twists or splits.

Wood stocks can be expensive too.

Im listing a Springfield Armory (the real one) M1903 pre WWII "C" stock over at the CMP forum. Its NOS in rosin wrapping paper.

If you are an '03 person, crap any kind of a rifle person there is nothing more beautiful than a pre war 1903 stock, the dimensions are slim, yet aggressive, just a beautiful design - to me.

I paid $500 for it close to ten years ago. It was going to be on a pet rifle at some point but Im getting into other things so I listed it to sell. Its expensive but it reflects SA is no longer building stocks and a pre WWII stock will never be made again.
That’s some nice looking wood. Has it been stained?
I don’t know why they won’t do a M40 style.
I messaged them and never got a response to the M40 inquiry.
It seems that patience and $$$ is the key to finding an M40 style stock.

Yea, another guy that hopes he can cash in on other desperate people with more money than brains. I bet his reserve is 600 because of the old crap excuse "supply and demand"... Which in my opinion supply and demand has zero to do with genuine logic lol.
I had the option to purchase this stock but found a correct one for a buck fifty more.
I needed a unmolested correct style due to restoration of a factory SSA M40. Otherwise I would have opted in.

That’s some nice looking wood. Has it been stained?
I don’t know why they won’t do a M40 style.
I messaged them and never got a response to the M40 inquiry.
It seems that patience and $$$ is the key to finding an M40 style stock.

That's not my stock but mine is figured.

He hits them with mineral spirits to expose the grain for the picture. When finished with oil it should pop the grain nicely.

He said he would do M40 if someone sends him one to replicate.

Yes......patience grasshopper.

I got mine from Boyds years ago. I believe it was one of the left over stocks from the M40 SSA build Remington did years ago.
M40 (5).jpg

Reactions: xringr and fe1
I don’t see any available for$575
Does TP ever have any of their $500-600 stocks available/in-stock????? Doesn’t seem like it. I bought a walnut PSS from Numrich years ago and more recently, a CRS M40 copy. The CRS needs a bit of fitting, but I think that’s the one I’m goin with. The PSS is a beautiful stock and looks to be pretty much a “drop-in”, but I just like the feel of the CRS

Last edited:
CRS?
I have an extra Numerich stock If you are looking. I have to make sure someone else isn’t going to take first that is interested in it.
PM me if so

@fe1 I bought one of his stocks, probably one of the last $600 ones over a year ago. Excellent craftsmanship and service. Kyle is a great guy!!

Well look what I found!!

M40 Stock Ready to Finish Grade 2

Thats a great stock to be sure. I have one of his $700 stocks that was 100% inletted. I did open up the barrel channel just a bit more and critiqued the door area of the bottom metal to exact the fit for my parts group. Although the stock is a work of art, I wish Taylors offered a lesser grade of walnut to make the cost more afforable to the less wealthy of us M40 shooters. Other than that, I have no issues but praise for his walnut stock products.

If you have that skill level of inletting, some info on it and the correct tools, go for it. If not find someone who does that type of work and pay them to do it .
It's a little more involved than it looks. I use to build flintlock long rifles and they take some intensive inletting also. I learned the hard way that it's easy to take off material, once thats done to a nice stick like these stocks, it's virtually impossible to repair and even though the parts will fit and it will function it will look like fecal matter. I'm not trying to scare you off from doing it just giving you a bit of hard learned and EXPENSIVE experience I went thru from rushing one of my first rifles too much.
The biggest thing is take your time ! Measure , remeasure, pencil the line, remeasure again and then another time then AND ONLY THEN, start the line scribing, filing, cutting etc.

Good luck and post the pics when the stock is complete.

Those $325 stocks look very nice. I would have no problem putting the finish on one, but I would never be able to inlet the bottom metal. Would buy one if I could, or knew someone who would do the inletting.

I went with a Gunville stock last year. It turned out great. I left the inletting up to a gunsmith friend of mine. He spent about seven hours on it and did an amazing job. Fortunately, he only charged me $350 for his work.

IMG-4448.jpg IMG-4447.jpg

These pics are after the first coat of oil. It's much darker now that the linseed oil has had some time to age. I wasn't too concerned with 100% accuracy, because at the end of the day no matter what I do, it'll always be just a custom 700. I just really like that style of stock.

Last edited:
I went with a Gunville stock last year. It turned out great. I left the inletting up to a gunsmith friend of mine. He spent about seven hours on it and did an amazing job. Fortunately, he only charged me $350 for his work.

View attachment 7292533 View attachment 7292534

These pics are after the first coat of oil. It's much darker now that the linseed oil has had some time to age. I wasn't too concerned with 100% accuracy, because at the end of the day no matter what I do, it'll always be just a custom 700. I just really like that style of stock.
So, what was your total investment in the stock and buttplate ?

Stock - $185
Butt plate - ~$50 (found one on ebay)
Inletting - $350 (expect to pay more from a gunsmith unless you have a personal relationship)

I did the finish sanding and oiled the stock myself. I tried to inlet another stock I picked up from Numerich a few years ago so I knew the money spent on this one would be well worth it.

Reactions: Pvt. Joker
I think I have an extra buttplate I could dig up if anyone is having a hard time trying to find one

I used a Taylor Engineering Stock on my M40 Replica - it came unfinished and the inletting was excellent. The Walnut was great and I used my methods to finish the stock.

Good luck with your project!

View attachment 7301692

View attachment 7301693View attachment 7301694
Mine just came yesterday. Looked just like yours in the first pic. Inletting is very tight to a Standard 700 action, but still pretty close.

My BAT won't drop in there, That's for sure ?

That is a very nice looking rifle. I wasn't sure I wanted one of these, but after seeing this and a couple other threads, I went ahead and started it by buying the stock. I don't think I'll ever pry the five digit R700 away from my nephew who inherited it from my dad. I guess all the guns I wanted, I didn't need. The one I did get belongs in a museum.

I used a Taylor Engineering Stock on my M40 Replica - it came unfinished and the inletting was excellent. The Walnut was great and I used my methods to finish the stock.

Good luck with your project!View attachment 7301694

I don't know what you used but it came out beautiful. Thats like a fine piece of colonial furniture. Bolt told me the details on that rifle, man you have a real top dog shooter and looker. Almost too pretty to take out of the house. He also said it was a tack driver.
My last last Andrew Verner flintlock long rifle I built from scratch, except the Green Mountain barrel, Siler lock and a few other small items, the maple stock was so pretty it took me awhile to go shoot her. She has a beauty of a fiddleback maple stock thats worthy of a museum IMO.

It amazes me how beautiful these M40s turn out with a great stock, it just adds the icing on the cake so to speak.
Yours sure looks jam up IMO !
Was your formula finish a "secret" one?
On my flint rifle I used a formula of the old stuff back from the early 1700s called AquaFortis. It's nitric acid with powdered iron dissolved into it. After it soaks in the wood you hit the stock with a flame continuing to move it to bring out the colors. On my M40s it's just BLO.
Your display is great too.

There is a super close Remington SA stock for sale on eBay now . I think the last bid was $169.00 better act fast .