• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40a1 build. Which receiver?

FUNCTIONAL

Dirty Civilian
Minuteman
  • Feb 19, 2012
    Eastern, NC
    Been collecting parts for a m40 and m40a1 build. I honestly have less interest in the m40 build and lately have struggled on which receiver to use for the A1 build.

I have both a 6 digit with cross and flat safety trigger (1 piece sear), short bolt shroud and a E receiver. I'd be putting this into a new mcmillan in forest camo and not a smear. Scope is a unertle non uso modified with 1435 number.

E 6468XXX
    320XXX

Been thinking of using the 6 digit and scrapping the m40 build but what are your opinions? I know this is kind of a "do what you want" deal but could use some opinions. Been struggling over this way too long.

Go with the 6 digit A1. I had mine built on a c prefix. I think there was a few built on E prefix. E prefix was mostly A3 rifles tho I believe.

A few very late A1 rifles were built on E prefix receivers, I think the PWS shop still has at least one of them that they bring out to the vintage matches. That later receiver would pair nicely with your new McMillan stock, whereas the earlier 6 digit receiver would go great with an early smear stock. I also agree with @Chabrone about keeping your 6 digit for an M40 build. Two rifles are always better than one!

If you decide for sure that you only want to build one rifle and it's going to be an A1, then use the 6 digit receiver. There were a ton of A1's built on 6 digits and everyone loves the older receivers. It's all personal preference and this is just my opinion, which isn't worth much. Either receiver on an A1 will end up being a great build, so there is no wrong choice.

I don't have much to add, as you can go either way, as noted above. If it makes you feel better, I recall 3 or so E-prefix M40A1s at Quantcio vintage rifle matches. They all had woodland camo pattern stocks. For example, here's some pics from 2016 and 2017 that I took of a couple of them. The first pic has an "RTE-P" barrel stamp with no date, and another E-prefix has a "PWS-P" stamp with a July 2001 barrel date. Fwiw, the E637xxx also had a hand inscribed "US" above the serial number, as seen on random C & E prefix M40A1 rifles. It's scope was serial #1405, but those got swapped a bit. The last pic from 2018 is not in good focus, but it's an E prefix, woodland stock w/ black buttpad, a PWS marked barrel (can't recall date stamp), and a USO scope too...

(Many of these M40A1s often had interesting, small variances, and as seen in the 3rd pic, one of these E-prefix rifles I nicknamed "Mr. bipod stud.")

Good luck in your decision, and I'm sure one of use would be happy to buy what ever M700 receiver you end up not using, in case it's a surplus item.

Attachments

• M40A1_E-prefix_637.JPG
      M40A1_E-prefix_637.JPG
      729.6 KB · Views: 183
    • M40A1_E-prefix_670.JPG
      M40A1_E-prefix_670.JPG
      475.6 KB · Views: 154
    • E-prefix_M40A1s.JPG
      E-prefix_M40A1s.JPG
      84.1 KB · Views: 150
    • Quantico_M40A1s_May_2017_2.JPG
      Quantico_M40A1s_May_2017_2.JPG
      610.6 KB · Views: 186
    • M40A1_E-prefix_USO_scope.JPG
      M40A1_E-prefix_USO_scope.JPG
      326.5 KB · Views: 174
    Last edited:
    Thank you for that info Random. I had read most of it in my searches but first time I've seen a confirmed black butt pad. I've only ever read of a few on E receivers. What I might do is order the stock and if mcmillan can't produce it with the brown butt pad I'll probably use the E receiver. Otherwise I'll go 6 digit, the m40 while it would be nice in my collection would get fired far less than the A1 and I almost feel it's a sin to waste a 6 on something that will sit in my safe. For me building an m40 with even a RR and swapping the bolt shroud for a small and milling a safety knob would be OK to get a close look but have the same functions. Not the typical for my other builds but I know it would be used less.

I have built an A5, A6, XM3 and have a mk13 mod5, A1 and m40 in the works all various stages. The 3 built all get used in competitions and are by no means safe queens, the A1 would be no different.

Thank you for that info Random. I had read most of it in my searches but first time I've seen a confirmed black butt pad.
    Sure. Fwiw, I was at a Quantico vintage precision match 4 or 5 years ago and met the middle-aged/former 2112 who told me either him, or another 2112 he worked with at the time, accidentally ordered the black buttpads during the mid-1990s. He laughed about it, and said they used them as needed as rifles came in for servicing. In fact, my M40A1 take-off stock (below) has a black butt pad on it as well, so I guess it was originally on a mid-1990s era rifle.

I stopped at these 3 M40 replicas, but if I were wealthier I'd consider an M40A3 w/ a CMP Unertl 10x just to close that gap. The M40A6s are neat, but I'm more old-school I guess. (M40A1 is a C-prefix, top and bottom are G-prefix). I'd like to build a 6-digit rifle as well one day, just haven't gotten around to it, given that I bought a 'turn-key' Chuck Mawhinney replica back in 2015 that I will use on occasion at the matches. If I ever found a smear M40A1 stock I'd certainly build a six-digit rifle around it....so it's sort of a bucket list item for me.

M40s_group_pic1_v2.jpg

I used my M40A1 in Sept 2021 at a Quantico match for the 800 and 1000 yard event, so mine get used too...
    M40A1_1000_yard_berm_v2.jpg

BTW, I think McMillan can still get the brown buttpads, but don't be afraid of the black ones, they were used too on forest camo stocks...
    For example, here's a random dude holding one of PWS's spare M40A1s back in 2015, that he may have nicknamed "Mr. black buttpad"....
    Quantico_2015_W_M40A1_Mr_Black_v3.png

That's about all I know.

Last edited:
    Pretty sure I've decided to use the 6 digit. While the m40 is going to be nice to have in the collection I'm much more excited about owning a m40a1 and feel the 6 digit belongs that way. I'll likely still build the m40 but it will either be a new RR or the E... just gotta decide if I have any intention of ever building an A3 before I cut the E loose.

Really love the photos... never seen so much evidence of black but pads.

Reactions: Stevo86