• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

m40a1, Unertl question.

Charlie112

Herd Thinner
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2017
USA
I purchased my 10x scope from CMP and my mount from tma. Rifle build by Raven on a return stock. I mounted my scope and with the scope mounted all the way to the rear, I have to crawl up the stock to get the sight picture I need. I am a average built man and in looking at photos of the rifle at the range and in other locations, the marksman is up the the scope where I should be.
I am thinking I may have to install my Redfield rings and Mount so I will be able to adjust the scope to the rear.
Have any of you fellows ran into this problem before?? Am I missing something? The stock has a lop of 13.5 give or take a few on a worn pad...
Thanks, Charlie112

As noted above, both tactical scope design and rifle ergonomics have come a long ways since 1980...(not to mention that zeroing a Unertl for the first time requires multiple Allen wrenches and usually two guys bent over the rifle turning said Allen wrenches...).

ON EDIT: note head position relative to stock comb in some of these pics: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/m40a1-pictures.6956432/

Last edited:
As noted above, both tactical scope design and rifle ergonomics have come a long ways since 1980...(not to mention that zeroing a Unertl for the first time requires multiple Allen wrenches and usually two guys bent over the rifle turning said Allen wrenches...).
Not to steel the thread, but I had a beautiful A1 I sold because of that darn optic. Set parallax at 300 then mess with those darn wrenches...

I purchased my 10x scope from CMP and my mount from tma. Rifle build by Raven on a return stock. I mounted my scope and with the scope mounted all the way to the rear, I have to crawl up the stock to get the sight picture I need. I am a average built man and in looking at photos of the rifle at the range and in other locations, the marksman is up the the scope where I should be.
I am thinking I may have to install my Redfield rings and Mount so I will be able to adjust the scope to the rear.
Have any of you fellows ran into this problem before?? Am I missing something? The stock has a lop of 13.5 give or take a few on a worn pad...
Thanks, Charlie112
Thanks to all of you!!

this thread is worthless w/o pics. ha

and the scope/mount system is notorious for poor eye relief - ie being too far forward. Not a thing you can do about it. not super hard to work around tho.

GL
DT

Please pictures

I think you will find your rig quirky but once you figure it out it will be shooting very well for you.

Picture of my scope mounted in a Two Man ring set...

1618615066464.png

1618615115375.png

I have the scope pulled back so the front ring is just at the edge of the ocular bell transition, as close as I could go without fear the front of the ring was in the transition while the rear was on the tube.

Im not a big dude and I can get pretty good eye relief in my scope.

I did add a stock pack to my taped up comb. If your having trouble its likely you need more comb.

Intended to shoot on steel this weekend with this but the NE is getting hit by a funky spring snow storm ruining my plans.....

You bought a piece of 42 year old technology. It was a high speed shooting computer in its day. Today its not the best but its better than good enough.

If you build a traditional "hockey stick" prone position, you won't have any problems with the scope being too far forward. If you build a prone position with your spine more inline with the bore, i.e. the modern teaching, the scope will seem too far forward. The M40A1 commands its own technique, in my opinion.

And, the scope is very easy to adjust parallax and zero if you think about what you're doing. However, adjusting parallax will have absolutely no effect on eye relief.

Bring the scope as far rearward as you can, just like @pmclaine mentioned, and learn to love it.