• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M40A1, who uses them for precision shooting

txgunnertx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
weatherford tx
I have a gun being built but am kinda stumped on where to go on the stock. I have always loved the M40A1 look, but dont know if I would like using it for long range as much as an A5.

So those who use them, how do you like it.

Re: M40A1, who uses them for precision shooting

I really like the HTG style stock and have one on my .308. Had one on my .243 before I sold it too. I don't like the more vertical grips or pistol grips.

My favorite stock though is the Manners T3. You get the same feel in the grip area as the HTGs but have a higher comb and the forend is more rounded like an A5. My 6.5 Creedmoor, 300WM and future .243 are/will be built off the T3. I will also be replacing the HTG on my .308 when I get another T3.

My favorite fit is also HTG-styled in the Manners MCS-T. I feel more comfy behind it than the McM A-series. My roommate loves his rifle in McM HTG over the A-series also. In regards to body size, I'm short and he's really tall.

I got a HTG mcmillan stock and love it. The stock feels right to me with its ergonomics and i think its great for precision shooting.

Heath

The only vertical grip I have had was a choate, it was ok but I have small hands and it was a little to big for me. So thinking about just going more traditional style for better fit

I've got one on order, I like the feel of them better then the vertical grip. I'll be using it in the field and it's a more familiar feel for me.

i have the htg adjustable on my 308 and love it for long range work. i shoot mostly prone and it does great. that being said, i kinda have my eye on the manners t-5 i believe it is. the one with thumb hole. that dude looks nice.

The Manners T3 is sweet but I was on a budget and picked up the HS M24A1. A nice chassis for the 700SPS. Skim bedded it with that Brownells goop, it fits like a glove.

Im running a A1-3 and love it. After owning a few different vertical grip tactical stocks and then getting the A1-3, they have all gone. I am now waiting on a Baker Special! I like the more traditional style grip, but thats what suits me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a HTG mcmillan stock and love it. The stock feels right to me with its ergonomics and i think its great for precision shooting.

Heath </div></div>

Agree 110%! I have an HTG in Forest Camo to mimic an M40A1 which is my all time favorite rifle and it's sweet.

If I ever have to sell the gun, I'm keeping the stock for use on another.