• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M40A1, who uses them for precision shooting

txgunnertx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
weatherford tx
I have a gun being built but am kinda stumped on where to go on the stock. I have always loved the M40A1 look, but dont know if I would like using it for long range as much as an A5.

So those who use them, how do you like it.

Re: M40A1, who uses them for precision shooting

I really like the HTG style stock and have one on my .308. Had one on my .243 before I sold it too. I don't like the more vertical grips or pistol grips.

My favorite stock though is the Manners T3. You get the same feel in the grip area as the HTGs but have a higher comb and the forend is more rounded like an A5. My 6.5 Creedmoor, 300WM and future .243 are/will be built off the T3. I will also be replacing the HTG on my .308 when I get another T3.

My favorite fit is also HTG-styled in the Manners MCS-T. I feel more comfy behind it than the McM A-series. My roommate loves his rifle in McM HTG over the A-series also. In regards to body size, I'm short and he's really tall.

I got a HTG mcmillan stock and love it. The stock feels right to me with its ergonomics and i think its great for precision shooting.

Heath

The only vertical grip I have had was a choate, it was ok but I have small hands and it was a little to big for me. So thinking about just going more traditional style for better fit

I've got one on order, I like the feel of them better then the vertical grip. I'll be using it in the field and it's a more familiar feel for me.

i have the htg adjustable on my 308 and love it for long range work. i shoot mostly prone and it does great. that being said, i kinda have my eye on the manners t-5 i believe it is. the one with thumb hole. that dude looks nice.

The Manners T3 is sweet but I was on a budget and picked up the HS M24A1. A nice chassis for the 700SPS. Skim bedded it with that Brownells goop, it fits like a glove.

Im running a A1-3 and love it. After owning a few different vertical grip tactical stocks and then getting the A1-3, they have all gone. I am now waiting on a Baker Special! I like the more traditional style grip, but thats what suits me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got a HTG mcmillan stock and love it. The stock feels right to me with its ergonomics and i think its great for precision shooting.

Heath </div></div>

Agree 110%! I have an HTG in Forest Camo to mimic an M40A1 which is my all time favorite rifle and it's sweet.

If I ever have to sell the gun, I'm keeping the stock for use on another.