• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M44 scout

hellion_locdogg

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2012
Arizona
New guy (Cliff) here with my latest fun/budget build. 1946 M44 Bayo lug cut off (3"), polished bore, floated and bedded, Rock Solid scope mount and bent bolt, Timney trigger set at 2lbs, Pacmayr recoil pad, Warne low 30mm rings, Vortex 8-32x50 scope and handmade thumbhole stock. Just finished Friday and haven't made it to the range yet.

I used this guys technique http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126943&page=2

Sorry for the bad cell pics

DSCF0404-1.jpg

DSCF0403-1.jpg

This is my Marlin 60 from which I copied the stock pattern. (has shot 2" groups at 140 yrds)
P10-08-11_0832.jpg

Re: M44 scout

I'll be at the range on Sunday trying patterns on :

148gr Tula
174gr BB
185gr BB
203gr BB

and whatever else I can find while ammo hunting on Sat.

Got her to the range on Sunday to zero and figure out what she likes to eat. Fired from bench foregrip supported at 100yds using Brown Bear 185gr FMJBT .310"dia. Thinking I can do better with Privi 182gr FMJBT .311"dia. But here is the best group of 8, I'd say it's a sub MOA gun now. Not bad considering the wind conditions.

P01-31-12_0036.jpg

i have one of these too. i will get a good pic to put on here. fun toy that kick like a mule and throw a flame like a champ lol

Looks good on the work. I like my M44 stock, but thats just me. You never know when you will need to bayo something
smile.gif

Thank you. It's not for everyone, I loved it in its original condition for many years before molesting it.

Had a friend tig my muzzle brake for me, tamed the recoil quite a bit but the percusive force beats you up if you're not the shooter. Seems to shoot better groups now too, possible harmonics/resonance issue? Went with side ports to keep dust down. Trying to convince myself to do a camo job on it, we'll see.

P02-23-12_0223.jpg

added a light bipod too

P02-23-12_0222.jpg

Certainly this is good creative job. Not critisizing, but I personally would choose a more compact/lighter scope. The whole package will look, in my opinion, more balanced.

Thanks, it's actually pretty light with the wood stock, the sun shade makes the scope HUGE. I'm sure it will still evolve.

2012-02-05_11-07-39_744.jpg

2012-02-05_11-06-57_869.jpg

I actually like nice big sunshades on a scope. I dunno just think they look cool. JMO. I personally wouldn't change the stocks on my Nagants, but I really like to see what others do to them and how they turn out. Nice!