• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M70 with Unertl 8x/12x, mounting options?

PotatoeTactical

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2024
Southern Idaho
Hi all,

Years ago, I traded my at the time “home” a bumper pull camper for a Post-64 “match” Model 70, .308 long action heavy barrel with globe sights.
Shot it maybe 20 times and tossed it into the safe to never see the light again. Until now with a rekindled flame for shooting bolt actions.

Wanting to make a “Vietnam’esq” USMC Carlos rifle with it, now before I get corrected with the Awkshullys, I know its probably the wrong action (iirc he had a pre-64, ‘06) but in lue of buying another rifle, Id rather turn this that I do not use into something more aesthetically pleasing so it actually gets shot again - and actually fixed since it is missing some hardware.

Its drilled and tapped from factory with a plethora of holes ToC down the barrel and reciever, it currently has a 1913 pic on it with no scope when I first was making loads, figuring my big arse is going to have to stretch my neck either way I mount a scope - why not try an Unertl 8x or 12x long scope? It’d fit most my other rifles as most are WWII - Pre GWOT era. I have never used these scope, never seen it in person and never seen them mounted other than on grainy pictures or ones that included toes.

Questions: I am assuming they use mounts like Leupold/Redfield to attach, yes? Or are they more akin to Weaver sections?

Is there any special ways to ensure this very delicate looking scope needs to be mounted/handled when shooting?

Any suggestions to other mounts to fit this type of glass to the Mod 70 that other members have used? Wanting to start with bases and work my way up to the glass - seeing as its about ~500mi away from me and I’m only at my home every 4-6 months Id love to make sure I buy the correct bases/rings etc to just take a day to mount it and do load development.

Thank you,
PT

Reactions: roostercogburn98
A Redfield like this is appropriate I believe.
6076CDBD-1C45-4D3F-B01B-41C6C7C8257D.jpeg
897D1797-C960-4C6B-A2A2-AE03831351A3.jpeg

Questions: I am assuming they use mounts like Leupold/Redfield to attach, yes? Or are they more akin to Weaver sections?

Is there any special ways to ensure this very delicate looking scope needs to be mounted/handled when shooting?
It's definitely work only a good gunsmith should attempt. The bases need to be installed at the proper height and placement on the barrel.
I assume your rifle has what is called a "medium-heavy match" barrel, and the front scope base should be at proper height for that profile.
Here's my pre-64 project built in 2016. Tips? You want to use high-quality hardened screws on these mounts, not soft Chinese screws that can come with the Leatherwood 8x repo USMC scope. (I have one of those of my M1903 rifle, but the M70 has an old 10x Unertl w/ good screws).

IMG_6753.JPG

There is a coil spring in the lower left that maintains pressure on the scope tube. It's critical that the spring provides good tension.
IMG_6752.JPG

The two large mounting screws can loosen-up, so I put a little bit of white paint at 12 o'clock so when I'm at the range I can ensure it's tight. (I learned the hard way during its initial outing at a vintage sniper match - that even a little bit of loosening of the front mount screw - will cause a lot of horizontal stringing). As for being delicate scopes. Well, don't drop the rifle with one of these scopes, and don't take it out in the rain either. It's not sealed. My 2cts.
M70_072020_v3.jpg

As for scope bases, I prefer to use these US-made parts by an dedicated artisan, they are high quality.

Good luck with your project.

Last edited:
I have boxes of Unertl mounts and bases.

Nothing fragile or complex about the scopes or mounts. I’m thinking of posting a tutorial regarding them as they are so mis understood.

They are from an era when public education and general mechanical knowledge were held to a higher standard.

It's definitely work only a good gunsmith should attempt. The bases need to be installed at the proper height and placement on the barrel.
I assume your rifle has what is called a "medium-heavy match" barrel, and the front scope base should be at proper height for that profile.
Here's my pre-64 project built in 2016. Tips? You want to use high-quality hardened screws on these mounts, not soft Chinese screws that can come with the Leatherwood 8x repo USMC scope. (I have one of those of my M1903 rifle, but the M70 has an old 10x Unertl w/ good screws).

View attachment 8371179
There is a coil spring in the lower left that maintains pressure on the scope tube. It's critical that the spring provides good tension.
View attachment 8371177

The two large mounting screws can loosen-up, so I put a little bit of white paint at 12 o'clock so when I'm at the range I can ensure it's tight. (I learned the hard way during its initial outing at a vintage sniper match - that even a little bit of loosening of the front mount screw - will cause a lot of horizontal stringing). As for being delicate scopes. Well, don't drop the rifle with one of these scopes, and don't take it out in the rain either. It's not sealed. My 2cts.
View attachment 8371180
As for scope bases, I prefer to use these US-made parts by an dedicated artisan, they are high quality.

Good luck with your project.
I picked a set up from fleabay for the model 70 as well. Steve Earle was my backup if I didn’t find the ones I needed.

As for measurements OP, I have been eyeballing this sheet which will give you some of the measurements @Random Guy is speaking of. If I’m correct that is, he can chime in cause I’m semi retarded in most aspects of life

C46870B0-8221-427F-9909-584BB6DC75E4.jpeg

Reactions: PotatoeTactical
RandomGuy makes a good point about the base screws.
Don't use the Chinese screws in the package. Get American screws.
In your original post, u state the 70 target u have is drilled and tapped. U use the front receiver holes and the barrel holes approximately 6.5" in front of the receiver (center to center 7.2").
This hole spacing is to keep the adjustment clicks on the scope 1/4 minute of angle. Change the spacing, change the click value, do, don't do that.
Base heights can vary w barrel diameters, and if you shoot past 600 yards, you can change the height to keep the scope closer to ring center as you go out. Ring center is critical as you adjust bc if u go far enough in elevation, the windage will change as the tube curve rises or lowers.

Best to you.

There are also some two height front bases. But… when you move to the long range height you change the adjustment interval.

Thank you all for the information, I’m leaning towards the Hi-Lux/Malcom 20x Vintage target. Really have been on a retro kick these last few years and thinking this will pair nicely with the Remington 540X and Win 52

I will be contacting a couple gunsmiths local (Idaho Falls/Pocatello) about doing the drilling and mounting. Looking for American steel screws - if I cant find any hardened I’ll be able to temper them in the workpiece “oven” at work.

With regards to @RandomGuy would those mounts you shared be better than the factory HiLux mounts? If they are, I wont shy away from doing it proper and paying now rather than later.

When I visit the folks up north, I’ll snag a few pics - and probably swap out the M110 out for the M70 as its the new project now.

The M70s Barrel has a series of tap holes near the muzzle for globe sights and 2 more pair near’er the chamber/reciever, if memory served they were 6 series screws. Might be a simple plug n play, but none the less a more competent ‘smith will install it. Again, I thank you all for this information.

Reactions: j-huskey
Update: have found a 1962 Pre-64 matching receiver and bolt for a fair price through some coworkers. Going to go that route and build it up into a proper Carlos rifle (albeit with higher mag optic) vs messing with my post-64 Target that I was just made aware of its value. So this project just got funner, finally have something to tinker with for awhile and make a new stock for.

I picked up a very similar m70 recently. It came with a 12x Unertl. And then I picked up a 513t 22lr that had the mounts as well.

I've really been enjoying the Unertl scope, it turns a lot of heads at the range and gets a ton of questions and comments. It also works very well and optically it is very good.