• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes M700 5R .308 20" threaded "optics emergency!!!"

MidMO.

Thread Derailer
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2013
MidWEST
Just getting into the bolt action game. Proud owner of a M700 5R in .308 20" threaded. Researching my optics options for out to 600yds without flinching. Willing to spend up to $1400. Lookin at SWFA, Nightforce or Vortex. My rifle will be an all around rifle as a target, hunting and being able to reach out and touch "something". Any suggestions?

Last edited:
if you want to reach out and touch something, get a bag full of candy. if you want to shoot get a counter sniper. period

Yea I vote for the bag of candy too. ;) Thats funny shit...

You need to share a budget, range you believe you will spend most time shooting, max range you plan on shooting (mainly so we can help to curb your expectations) we already have a general idea based on caliber and barrel length. Don't expect to be going much beyond about 1100 to 1200 consistently. That being said

The Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 would be a good choice. Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP would be a good choice that would save you some money. I much prefer the EBR-2B reticle over that of the EBR-1 but the EBR-1 is the only mil based reticle you're going to get in the PST.

Of your list I feel that Vortex makes a very good value proposition but a SWFA super sniper (HD) is also a very good option.

The nightforce F1 would be another decent option but meh I think there are ways to get more for your money.

What's your choice as alternative to the F1 ?

I see the razor HD 5-20x50 as an option to get more magnification with a better reticle option 6 mil more internal elevation and its about 500 bucks cheaper on the quick look that I took around. You also still get unlimited warranty from both and japanese glass is installed in both. That extra 500 bucks translates to a good pile of ammo or reloading gear (even after you dip into it to get a nice set of rings). I could have swore that when I last looked at the F1 (a long time ago) that it didn't have a zero stop. Clearly it does now. But if zero stop isn't crucial to you (it is to me) then the Bushnell HDMR's also propose some very good value comparisons to the F1.

I'd really like to see Nightforce put out some better reticle options like the EBR-2B or the G2DMR and its good to start seeing them finally with a wider offering of first focal plane scopes now that the BEAST is coming online. I've seen second focal plane confuse the hell out of people so many times its not even funny.

~Brett

Last edited:
Mr. TactiCALi you have to get more specific of your needs for anyone to be able to give good advice. However, seeing you're in California, I wouldn't buy any type of weapon since they will soon be banned and probably confiscated. Just plant some flowers and get some nonviolent video games and be done.

Mr. TactiCALi you have to get more specific of your needs for anyone to be able to give good advice. However, seeing you're in California, I wouldn't buy any type of weapon since they will soon be banned and probably confiscated. Just plant some flowers and get some nonviolent video games and be done.

LMAO!! Well said

Sierracharlie out....

You don't need a lot of magnification to shoot to 1k

Great glass trumps magnification.

My 20" 308 runs a Kahles K312 and I have hit clay pigeons at 1k with it. (Ok, not consistently but I have no problem lining up on them!)

I like the Nightforce 5.5-20X , seems to be good all around magnification , but ive mostly dialed down the mag to 15-18x at longer ranges (sometimes even more to 10x). now if you want an ffp or sfp, reticle pattern etc....

but as ccoker said,, the glass is more important,

all in your budget

Im in the same position looking at the same scopes for a 24" 5R 308 right now. I would go NF if they made an FFP in a higher magnification than the 3-15x50 F1. The BEAST looks amazing but over what I had budgeted for this build.
So that leaves me looking at the Vortex Razor 5-20x50 or the SS 5-20x50. Im leaning towards the Razor due it having a zero stop. Though I have to say I am very tempted to save some money and go with the non illuminated SS for $800 less....

Check with LibertyOptics on the old version of the Bushnell HDMR. Price is listed a like $1400, but add it to your cart to see the discounted price. It's right around what you'd expect to pay for a used one. But even the new version with the 10mil turrets and zero-stop has an AWESOME price. I'm still trying to decided which one to go with (or put a deposit on a new rifle).

If you want to go inexpensive, I have no major complaints about my Weaver Tac 3-15x50. It's limitations are fairly easy to predict though. It's great in bright sunlight, and I have no issues when it's overcast either, but as soon as the sun starts to go down, it will start to hurt my eyes. Tracks perfect though, and the EMDR reticle isn't bad. I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep mine when I upgrade for when I upgrade my rifle (put it back on the old rifle).

IOR 3-18x42 FFP illuminated model or 3.5-18x50.
Comes with a very high quality set of rings.

Out of all the ones you have listed I would do the Nightforce. If your looking for price the PST is a great way to go also.

Nigthforce offers reliability, very good glass, and one of the strongest scopes on the market.
Vortex PST offer very nice reticles, well made (but not as strong as the Vortex HD or NF), and turrets are positive.

Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP - YouTube

I use Ngithforce for some of my COMP rifles.
Nightforce Optics NXS 3.5-15x50 - YouTube

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

10x NF. I have HS stocks like yours and the low mounting ht. is nice with them.
Mk IV med. rings, 10x NF. Low mount rail, I like MK IV two piece. Great ergos. That should fit.
Make mine w/ MOAR.

I am running a Vortex viper 5-15 mil/mil from midwayusa on two 20" Remington tacticals and I think it is just about the perfect balance in weight, size, power range and features... now if only it was FFP. I will likely be switching over to SWFA 3.5-15's in the not to distant future for the FFP option...

Before the Vortex
009-1.jpg

After (with a terrible pic)
Firearms2013005.jpg

Last edited:
I have all three, PST 4-16 on my wife's bolt gun, the SS 5-20 on my back up duty rifle and I run the new NF ATACR on my primary rifle. IMHO the NF if the best of the three, and I ran the NXS and F1 prior to going with the ATACR. The next is the SS 5-20, I picked up used here on the site and it is a great scope but does not have some of the features of the PST that the wife got from Mike @ CS, the only person I will by new from. It is a nice unit and less then $900 and is the least expensive option. With optics what you spend makes a difference BUT at some point intended use vs. price becomes a big factor. From what you have shared I would suggest calling Mike and grabbing the PST and save the difference on ammo and get some serious shooting in. After you have some experience your probably going to do what "all" of us have done and become a optics junkie and as funds allow buy more scope then you need. Trust me, over five years I have bought and sold about ten scopes. So start with the PST and shoot, shoot, shoot!

Sully

I have a 700 Rem 308 20" and Waggs put a Nightforce 15 power on it and i can continually chip shot 600 yards like it was a 100.
I have tried others an for my eyes this is a perfect match.
49Bear

I would highly recommend looking and watching the for sale section here. You can get some better glass that will fit your budget.