• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

M700 Scope Base Bedding video.

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Southern Indiana
www.8541tactical.com
There have been questions in the past on this, so I put together a little video.

As always this is "A" way. Not necessarily "The" way. It works for me and has survived just fine for thousands of rounds on a hard use rifle.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aoW5bHQqgis?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Re: M700 Scope Base Bedding video.

Very informational! Thanks for posting this. Going to gome home today and see if mine needs this
wink.gif
Can you use devcon for this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you use devcon for this? </div></div>

Yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you use devcon for this? </div></div>

Yes </div></div>

Thanks

Tag for watching later. Gotta love Gov computers that block most pics and almost all videos here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good video, but need to cut it down a bit. I fell asleep about 3/4 the way through it. (no joke)
SScott</div></div>

Some of us like the detail, the more the merrier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good video, but need to cut it down a bit. I fell asleep about 3/4 the way through it. (no joke)
SScott </div></div>

I tried to cut as much as I could without loosing any steps.

Be glad I didn't leave in taking out each screw, mixing the epoxy, all the spreading, etc. There is a lot that was left on the cutting room floor otherwise you would have needed some Red Bull to get through it.

Great video!! I am going to try it this weekend.

Thanks for sharing. I have that base and will be making sure it has the correct fit and possibly be doing this.

Did you ever check the top of the base with a "straight-edge" before mounting to see if maybe the base was bowed due to machining of the slots.
FWIW: I have seen many 1 piece bowed bases both alum and steel.
Thank you for taking the time to make a great vid.
Respectfully,
LG

I just started this process. When im using devcon, whats the wait time? I know JB weld has a different cure time than devcon. So how long do i need to wait before running a drill bit through the holes? I also accidentally put a little pressure on the rear side (the side with the compound) will it be ok. I didnt put much pressure, just a little.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MANIMAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just started this process. When im using devcon, whats the wait time? I know JB weld has a different cure time than devcon. So how long do i need to wait before running a drill bit through the holes? I also accidentally put a little pressure on the rear side (the side with the compound) will it be ok. I didnt put much pressure, just a little. </div></div>

Look at what the cure time is on the Devcon. I don't recall offhand. Just give it a couple hours until it's hard but not fully cured. When in doubt leave some on your mixing board to estimate off of.

If you didn't squeeze any out when you pressed on the base you should be OK. You won't know for sure until you pull it off. If you do have some gaps, then you can just scuff it and re-bed it. You don't have to grind it all off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you ever check the top of the base with a "straight-edge" before mounting to see if maybe the base was bowed due to machining of the slots.
FWIW: I have seen many 1 piece bowed bases both alum and steel.
Thank you for taking the time to make a great vid.
Respectfully,
LG
</div></div>
I had made the exact same observation. Was the base checked for straightness?
Kudos to the production quality of the video.