• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing M700 Shilen Competition Rifle Trigger

Trental

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2011
Boise, ID
I just recently picked up a Remington 700 SPS Varminter in .204 Ruger. I am not a fan of the new X-mark Pro trigger for many reasons. If they hadn't changed the trigger blade, and if they hadn't started making the trigger and sear out of injected metal I would probably still like it (I am very much a fan of pre 2006 M700 triggers). Due to the fact that I don't like the feel of the X-mark Pro I thought I would swap it out and sell it before anything goes wrong with it (I've seen too many of the trigger blades broken off at the adjustment screw for me to be comfortable keeping it).

I've ordered two triggers (I was in the mood, and I have many M700s). I ordered a new Rifle Basix 4oz to 20oz trigger, and also a Shilen Competition Rifle Trigger which is 2oz to 6oz. I picked up the Shilen for $60 on Gun Broker because the auction stated "unknown make", and I knew exactly what it was. I haven't received the Rifle Basix trigger yet, but I just installed the Shilen... which finally leads me to my question.

Operationally it is working fantastic and I do LOVE the feel of it. When the bolt is closed the cocking piece is flush with the bolt shroud. Typically, in the cocked position, the cocking piece sticks out about .088" from the bolt shroud. Here are two photos with both bolts cocked to express what I mean (a photo is worth a thousand words :lol: )

What do you fellas think will result from this, if anything? It feels and sounds normal when I dry fire it. Solid snap. Maybe light primer strikes?

<span style="font-weight: bold">This one is my .22-250 and shows the normal protrusion (cocked).</span>
DSC_0023.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">This is my .204 with the Shilen installed (cocked).</span>
DSC_0024.jpg

What says ya'll?

Re: M700 Shilen Competition Rifle Trigger

does it fire? If so, id say you are fine. my wife's 223 looks like the bottom picture you have. Goes bang every time.

I haven't shot it yet with the Shilen. Just got the trigger in the mail today. Gonna be -17 degrees here tomorrow so it won't be getting tested tomorrow either.

I'm going to slip the X-mark Pro back in and make sure I'm not making this up. Maybe mine is like your wife's .223 and I am just losing my marbles.

Looks like with the X-mark Pro I have about .045" protrusion of the cocking piece from the bolt shroud. So I am losing about 45 thousandths of an inch of travel in the striker.

It seems as though this may not be a huge concern? I'll find out on the range. This trigger may only get used for target and working up loads. A 2oz to 6oz trigger is pretty light even for a pDog rifle.

Anyone else with experience using the Shilen trigger in a M700?

it may be an optical illusion but the bottom shroud appears to be longer than the other...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SD669</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it may be an optical illusion but the bottom shroud appears to be longer than the other... </div></div>

It does look that way doesn't it. I just mic'd them both and they are the same. Total optical illusion. Sure had me check'n though!
grin.gif

It has been brought to my attention that I may not have an issue after all. Actually, what I have is firing pin that is timed properly, or at least as good as one can expect with an inexpensive drop in part. Good stuff!

If you reload your own. You could primer a brass without powder and slug and give it a garage fire to see if it fits the bill.

I had/have no doubts that it is going to ignite primers. My initial concern was with consistency. After a forum member educated me through a PM I am now no longer concerned at all.

I did receive my Rifle Basis ERV-3 trigger yesterday and installed it as a comparison. The Shilen trigger is WAY better.

The Rifle Basix trigger uses a metal injected sear instead of machined, and the contact surfaces are not square and not sharp. The surface of the sear (they call it the Second Lever) is a little bit round at the tip and the sear surfaces are not meeting each other squarely (one side is not touching). This is where it contacts the trigger. I cannot safely set the trigger weight without having way more sear engagement than I care to have. If I don't over compensate with sear engagement I end up getting slam fires. I had to turn the trigger pull weight all the way up and still had to over compensate with the sear engagement to prevent slam fires. The trigger feels OK now except for the creep. The only way this could be remedied is by stoning the contact surfaces so that they are flat and square.

With the Shilen set way down in the 2oz to 6oz range I could not induce a slam fire. It has machined and stoned engagement surfaces that meet up squarely and has no creep that I can detect. I may end up buying a Shilen "Standard" trigger for the field instead of this Rifle Basix.