• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

M77 MkII Cut and Thread

godofthunder

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2013
Nebraska
www.rustynutsdesigns.com
I have a Ruger M77 MKII that I bought as my first coyote gun years ago. After I bought my first suppressor in 2012 or so I had the barrel threaded. The gunsmith at the time said they couldn't remove the barrel and that they couldn't cut it down to 20" due to the size of their headstock or some other excuse.

The gun shoots 40gr vmax great, but has been sitting in the safe for years because I hate the 24" barrel. I'd really like to cut it down to 20" and start shooting it again.

It appears I should be able to pull the barrel off, send if off to get threaded, and reinstall. Am I missing something with M77s that isn't obvious? I don't really want to spend the money on a new barrel if I can just get this one cut and threaded.

I’ve never had to pull the action on an M77 to thread it. If I remember right, the trigger hanger is part of the action casting, just find someone with a bigger lathe.

I have a Ruger M77 MKII that I bought as my first coyote gun years ago. After I bought my first suppressor in 2012 or so I had the barrel threaded. The gunsmith at the time said they couldn't remove the barrel and that they couldn't cut it down to 20" due to the size of their headstock or some other excuse.

The gun shoots 40gr vmax great, but has been sitting in the safe for years because I hate the 24" barrel. I'd really like to cut it down to 20" and start shooting it again.

It appears I should be able to pull the barrel off, send if off to get threaded, and reinstall. Am I missing something with M77s that isn't obvious? I don't really want to spend the money on a new barrel if I can just get this one cut and threaded.

If I remember correctly, many gunsmiths won’t pull a barrel on the m77 due to concerns of twisting or tweaking the action. I’ve rebarreled one myself with no issues.

If I remember correctly, many gunsmiths won’t pull a barrel on the m77 due to concerns of twisting or tweaking the action. I’ve rebarreled one myself with no issues.
They say the same thing about Browning A-Bolt/A-Bolt II's, but my smith managed to get mine off, and then true it up, and put a new barrel on it, and now it can be easily rebarreled in the future. It's typically getting that factory barrel off, but if you can do so safely, then you'll end up with a damn fine shooter and platform for a custom. My smith said he could rebarrel both of my old M77 MKII's if I wanted to in the future when I had him cut & thread both of mine last year. He said he's done a pile of them over the years, and they make excellent shooting customs. Just not a big market for the aftermarket stocks and stuff, just like the Browning. That rifle is a hammer, but virtually zero aftermarket support. In the factory Composite Stalker stock, it's already bedded, and shoots amazing, and I like the stock, so I'm not super worried about swapping it out.