• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Machete of choice?

B3dlam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Kodiak, AK
So I am curious what you guys prefer for a decent machete I currently want to upgrade from the walmart special. I don't expect to be out and about in the jungle but just general camping use but I would like a solid tool to carry while hunting in the event I did get into a survival situation. I tried the search but turned up nothing in either the field craft or knife and kabar sections.

Re: Machete of choice?

I've got a couple Ontarios (18" and 12") and an 18" Condor, they are all good. The Condor was the best out of the box. The Ontarios needed some work on the edge before they cut well.

I have a US Military machete but I don't use it. If I can't do it with a pocket knife I use a boys ax.

So my just goes in with my US bayonet and kife collection.

If I was to go back to the jungles, I'd want the military machete. They work great in jungles.

I had a couple Ontarios when I was younger. I was in my teens and didn't take of them for anything, and they worked great. Held a decent edge. Outside of my house burning down I'd still have them and I'd wager they'd still be good to go today.

Cold Steel makes a wide variety of quality machetes for a great price. Bolo or parang style machetes are nice for most uses here in the Norhern US. In a lot of instances, a machete goes with me to the field instead of a camp axe.

I find a stout, shorter design nice for cutting/clearing wood, creating notches for shelter construction, slashing through brush and general utility use. A short blade is easier to carry/manuever with, and typically will have a more rigid feel when chopping. This also helps keep the blade from hanging up in the wood.

If you can, avoid the traditional styles offered in most sporting good stores; they are typically too long, flimsy, poor steel and will not hold up to prolonged abuse. Even the SOG and Gerber series that you can find locally feel cheap to me. I was especially dissappointed in the Gerber Gator machete (short version). My buddy brought one hunting and it barely held up to basic camp tasks. The blade was beat to hell by the time we finished collecting firewood. It looked way better than it performed, by far.

I can't comment on the Bear Grylls/Gerber models yet, but the parang might be descent for the price.

Might not be what your looking for but it really stands up to abuse. I've had this same one about 8 years and used it to chop branches, butcher deer, elk, and turkey. Makes easy work on pelvic bones. Works great for skinning too with the rounded blade. The D2 steel really holds an edge. I don't think you could ever break it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/184235/...-leather-sheath

I have a woodsman's pal. Needed a bit of sharpening when it was new but its nice. Heavy and durable

I have the Woodman's pal too. It works great, but is expensive. You have to be careful with it too, easy to get close to the body.

For what it's worth, I had Cold Steel's Recon Scout knife with me in the Amazon and the indians I was with chuckled at it and called me Rambo, until we cut firewood the first night. They would cut approx 2 1/2" stalks of whatever it was with about three chops of their machetes, which looked like smaller versions of the Collins I was familiar with. My knife did it in one chop. They stopped laughing. The thing is a beast and if it didn't have an edge you could use it as a club.

I was just about to start a new thread and ask about good all around knives and here is is. Thanks for a good video. Jesse

I'm partial to the cold steel kukri. I have the standard and san mai version. I usually pack the standard one that way I can abuse it without crying. (The san mai version is awesome but pretty expensive)

For a good all around fixed blade I really like my cs black bear

Ebay has some good buys, just make sure you get the Japanese steel for the black bear

i don't think the ontario's can be beat for the money...
i have had a few of the 22" ...
tried the cold steel didn't like it myself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DrEvil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm partial to the cold steel kukri. I have the standard and san mai version. I usually pack the standard one that way I can abuse it without crying. (The san mai version is awesome but pretty expensive)

For a good all around fixed blade I really like my cs black bear

Ebay has some good buys, just make sure you get the Japanese steel for the black bear </div></div>

I was also going to mention the Kukri. I've been very happy with mine. Here's a link for the OP to check it out:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/97MKM/MAGNUM_KUKRI_MACHETE.aspx

the cold steel cant be beat I can chop a 4" palm tree trunk in one slice...real eye opener..be very carefull cutting fast and hard around your legs

I am a kukri man myself, if you get a good strong full tang one you can beat the piss out of them.

I have a Tramontina I traded some kid in Honduras for many years ago. I've been using it around the farm for the past 13 years and never chipped or bent the blade, the handle is also much better than the commercial Walmart crap.

If you like a high carbon blade take a look at condor tool and knife. They are affordable durable and easily sharpened to shaving sharp.

When I was a teen, I had a part time job in an Army Surplus store. That was when you had real surplus, not made in China crap.

Anyhow, we carried several types and brands. I had a chance to try them on for size, and found a model made in El Salvador with short blade was the ticket. For me the most important thing was having one with a comfortable handle that didn't cause blisters after a few minutes of heavy duty use, and when your hands get sweaty.

I use a Gerber Brush Thinner for camping and hiking. It is light weight, has stayed sharp for 2+ yrs, and is great for clearing brush as well as small diameter branches (<2"). It is my tool of choice when working on a log and turning it into kindling.

Gerber-Brush-Thinner-31-000083-600x500.jpg

There was a guy making some nice machetes on Blade Forums for a good price. I have one but haven't used it yet.

I'll pick up an ESEE soon but I think its a want not a need for the PNW woods. Have been to Kodiak many times and the terrain is very similar to WA. I have found a saw and tomahawk to be a better pair than a machete.

To be honest if I had to loose one of the two it would be the hawk as its mostly used as a hammer, the saw cuts cleaner and takes less effort. BTW I use a 15" Svend(sp?) saw from REI.

I have been using a cheap piece of crap machete from Harbor Freight. At only $5 on sale, they are a deal and I don't care if I lose it or beat the piss out of it. The handle is much better for my hand than most other machetes I have held.

I keep an Ontario SPAX in my backpack that goes everywhere with me and if I need an actual machete, I have a german steel machete that I got from a buddy. Forget the brand but it's common for kitchen knives and was suprised to see that they made machetes. In any case, both keep an edge like crazy and are easy to maintain.

I always carry a Cold Steel Kukri when I do my scouting, and setting up stands. I can wipe out a shooting lane minutes.

Second the Esee Junglas. I have beat the hell out of one and I like it more every time I have to pull it out. It stays on my Mule for clearing trails.

Tramontina or Onterio or Condor.

The light 14" Tram bolo will cut well beyond its appearence.

Dont forget the folks south of the border know how to make a chete

I have a Ontario usgi machete and a ESEE Junglas. Still waiti g to get them out and throw a good work out on them. I had a USGI machete as a kid and it kept going strong for years.

Look no further than the ESEE Junglass. It IS the Bull of the Woods. Fantastic edge, extremely durable, and no questions ask lifetime warranty. What more would you want.

I would, as have others, recommend the Ontario Machete's. They are made from 1095 steel. 1095 has been used for decades. It's a quality steel that will provide good service. I would also recommend that you convex the edge of the machete. Convex edges are easier to maintain, and are one of the strongest edges for heavy duty use. Remember for slashing and cutting a thinner blade is better. For chopping and splitting thicker is better (i.e. and Axe).

Chip

I always carry a Cold Steel Kukri when I do my scouting, and setting up stands. I can wipe out a shooting lane minutes.

I use the same to cut alot of survey lines all spring, summer, and fall. Cheap and works great. Lighter than a full size and doesn't get tangled up in your legs crossing downed trees and whatnot

ESEE Junglas... I love mine... built like a tank, no questions warranty, great edge... kinda pricey but worth it

I love my esee junglas. It came shaving sharp and holds an edge it seems like forever. I have not abused mine but it does get used and I could not be happier. Knife has a really good weight and feel to it.

I like a 24" machete. The extra length helps avoid blood loss when cutting through briars and dense brush. The Tramontina Brazil guys used to make them, but my most recent one is from Cold Steel. They don't make 'em like they used to, but it works. Just gotta get the edge right.

Another trade I made with a Brit in Afghanistan, my Martindale No 2 "Crocodile" does exactly what it says on the tin.

Any of you guys with Ontarios purchased them lately? Just curious as I got my 18" this week, it cuts fine after I put an edge on it, but the handle rivets are loose, not the end of the world but disappointing. My dad has one from the 80's it's held up quite well and does the job.