• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Machine Shops that can make a custom action?

B4Maz

Private
Minuteman
Mar 24, 2014
Houston, TX
Does anyone know any machine shops (Type 07 FFL) that have EDM capabilities to make a custom action? When I mean custom, it's not based on someone else's action.

Depending on what you want, it isn't "Can they" but "Will they".

Also, it's not unreasonable for action makers to outsource EDM work. You may need to define why you want them to have that capability in house.

Right now, I'm just trying to get an idea of what the costs would be.
The reason I ask is because I own a machine shop. I get "opportunities" pitched to me regularly. The problem is they want me to take on the entire burden of development, but yet somehow think they get to retain ownership of the product?? What's the risk to you? I'm not referring to you, but I hope you get my point. Unless you have some skin in the game it's going to be tough to find someone to make the product you're thinking.

Unless you have an action designed it will be tough for any shop to give a reasonable cost estimate. Sure some wild guesses can be made, but that doesn't help you much.

The reason I ask is because I own a machine shop. I get "opportunities" pitched to me regularly. The problem is they want me to take on the entire burden of development, but yet somehow think they get to retain ownership of the product?? What's the risk to you? I'm not referring to you, but I hope you get my point. Unless you have some skin in the game it's going to be tough to find someone to make the product you're thinking.

Unless you have an action designed it will be tough for any shop to give a reasonable cost estimate. Sure some wild guesses can be made, but that doesn't help you much.
I have done the R&D and need a prototype made to test. I have CAD models and drawings. I know it will need a couple more design tweaks that usually go along with a prototype.

Reactions: Robert Gradous
Agreed. Im gunna watch this thread. Been looking at designing and machining some stuff as well.

If someone walked into my shop with cad files and wanted a "one off" prototype action with edm'd raceways, I would quote somewhere in the $5,000-$7,000 range. That would be for a typical round body action like a defiance rebel type. If you're talking a profiled body type with integral rail and lug like a deviant type action, that number would go up to $7,000-$10,000. That's what I would quote if that helps you at all.

Best Regards,

Todd

If someone walked into my shop with cad files and wanted a "one off" prototype action with edm'd raceways, I would quote somewhere in the $5,000-$7,000 range. That would be for a typical round body action like a defiance rebel type. If you're talking a profiled body type with integral rail and lug like a deviant type action, that number would go up to $7,000-$10,000. That's what I would quote if that helps you at all.

Best Regards,

Todd
You would have the look of a action but the critical parts would not work,,,,, this does in no way say anything about your skill or knowledge and if you take this commitment wrong I apologize ahead of time.

You would have the look of a action but the critical parts would not work,,,,, this does in no way say anything about your skill or knowledge and if you take this commitment wrong I apologize ahead of time.

So you are saying that without even seeing his cad files or design, that none of the critical parts of his design are going to work? Is your comment based on your opinion that the guy could not possibly design an action that will work, or that if I were to machine the parts exactly to his designs that I would make mistakes on the critical components? Just curious.

A lot depends on your cad files and drawings. If you used solidworks or some other system that allows interference detection and part movement it is much simpler to go from drawing to part. If you used Autocad or other similar its a bit tougher.

As for manufacturing we used Solidworks and mastercam to progam and build a semi auto machined receiver rifle. Even with all that it took a bit of time to develop the design. Tolerances don't just get made up and parts react differently when you subject them to high shock loads and pressures.
You are going to need to sit down with someone and go over the drawings, hopefully solids drawings, and figure out whether you've got the info necessary to make the parts right.

You're probably concerned about letting the cat out of the bag especially if its something new and improved but its about the only way you'll get any help. This would involve figuring out what machines are needed and material specs as well as just the basics of whether your drawings are sufficient for the job. This in itself will take some time and cost some money. Most shops won't go into much detail for nothing so maybe a quick look to see if its worth looking into further would cost you nothing but don't expect to go much further for free. Machine time isn't the only cost to consider. Make sure you've got something that is worth what its going to cost before you get in too deep.

Frank

So you are saying that without even seeing his cad files or design, that none of the critical parts of his design are going to work? Is your comment based on your opinion that the guy could not possibly design an action that will work, or that if I were to machine the parts exactly to his designs that I would make mistakes on the critical components? Just curious.
I made a comment based off of several action manufacturing companies I have worked for and with. If you feel that I have misspoken I am sorry. I suggest to all involved that if you feel in your heart that you can build a action to get with it.
Please post back here,,, when you get it built.
Robert Gradous Gradous Rifles

Hi,

@B4Maz
Do you have your Type 7 FFL along with ITAR registration so that a machine shop can make this action with your company information?
If not, that is a cost factor for you to plug in.

I do not know of any shop that will make your design and then put their name onto it, so in your cost matrix is going to need to include your complete business start-up in the "action cost".

You will also need to figure in insurance cost. That is a big one....

I will PM you some potential shops depending on if you have your licenses. Without those the shops are not going to waste their time.

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: B4Maz
I have some friends that are working on making their own custom action and I think they are around $250k in the hole right now, and still don't have the version they want for production.

It will take many revisions and shop hours to get a polished product.

I have some friends that are working on making their own custom action and I think they are around $250k in the hole right now, and still don't have the version they want for production.

This is what I am eluding to. I'm not trying to discourage people ,,,,,but,,,,, if you don't have a passion it won't get done

Wow! Putting it into that perspective I don’t mind coughing up 1390 for a nice piece now

Who are the other ones you know?

Does @Robert Gradous have a machine shop that can make an action?
No sir sorry. Was trying to quote the gentleman that commented about not being able to find a shop to do his barrel work. Was giving a shoutout to Mr. Gradous. You won’t find better.

A lot depends on your cad files and drawings. If you used solidworks or some other system that allows interference detection and part movement it is much simpler to go from drawing to part. If you used Autocad or other similar its a bit tougher.

As for manufacturing we used Solidworks and mastercam to progam and build a semi auto machined receiver rifle. Even with all that it took a bit of time to develop the design. Tolerances don't just get made up and parts react differently when you subject them to high shock loads and pressures.
You are going to need to sit down with someone and go over the drawings, hopefully solids drawings, and figure out whether you've got the info necessary to make the parts right.

You're probably concerned about letting the cat out of the bag especially if its something new and improved but its about the only way you'll get any help. This would involve figuring out what machines are needed and material specs as well as just the basics of whether your drawings are sufficient for the job. This in itself will take some time and cost some money. Most shops won't go into much detail for nothing so maybe a quick look to see if its worth looking into further would cost you nothing but don't expect to go much further for free. Machine time isn't the only cost to consider. Make sure you've got something that is worth what its going to cost before you get in too deep.

Frank
Frank, I couldn't have said it better. This is where I am at now. Drawings are almost complete and models are done. I'll have to message you as you seem to have the most knowledge about what it takes to manufacture what I'm working on.

Reactions: Robert Gradous
I've Contacted a couple different Shops to get a quote. I haven't gotten any numbers back yet. A lot of the shops I contacted are so busy, they have very little time for prototype work. I would just like to get a ballpark figure and see if the design is feasible.