• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Magazine for PRS

bodhisafa

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2013
Will be taking delivery of a Kelblys black bear action and need a 308 based magazine. What size is most commonly used in these competitions ...5 round or 10 round mags?

I've seen mostly 10 rounds, but, as already said, some guys even put extenders for an extra 2 to 4 rounds.. I'm running ARC mags with an Are 419 mag extender, no issues so far! Cheers pal!

Any preference for MDT, AICS, accurate magazines?

Again this will be for PRS comps and looking for a magazine to feed 308 based cartridge with least issues

I primarily use AICS with Seekins +2 extenders. The Area 419 extenders would be super also, I just haven't bought one yet.

Not sure exactly what you mean when you say "308 based cartridge" - if you mean something like .243 Win or .260 Rem, I would recommend the 12 round MDTs. They are well made/finished and you don't have to buy an extender to get 12 (or more rounds). In my area (SE) anyway, there always seems to be at least one 12 round stage at matches so having at least one that can hold that many is important. If, however, you just meant a cartridge that has the same head diameter as a .308, I would find someone that has MDTs and try with your cartridge before buying. I bought a couple of them to use for 6.5x47 and they don't work for that cartridge because of the case dimensions and the location of the front internal cartridge guide rail (case shoulder is behind this rail so front ends of cartridges point left and right and cause binding). Having said that about my experience with 6.5x47 with the MDTs, I think others are having good luck using them with really small cartridges (6 dasher, BRC, etc.) when they are used with spacers - the x47 is just not quite short enough for that.

Reactions: D-SIL
I've used them all. AI, Accurate, ARC, etc. Settled with MDT. Shortest package and they work better than other brands, especially when dirty.

Another consideration of magazine choice is what your COAL will be based on the cartridge used and bullet choice.
The AI AICS 10 rnd mags I have with the binders I use with 6.5x47 since none of the bullets I've loaded so far either jammed or .010" off are crowding the binder.
I use alpha and accurate mags with the 65CM and 147eldm since my COAL at .018 - .020" off the lands exceeds the max in the AI mags with the binders.

FYI, the 419 extenders won't work on MDT 10 round mags without their 12rd spring. Both are excellent, MDT has a new extender, too.

Kelby black bear owner here, AICS 10rd mags with area 419 extension in them. Run very smooth for me and I've had zero issues with them when I run them in my Remington 700, tikka, bighorn, or black bear. Cartridges are 308, .260, and 6 dasher. To be fair I've not ran the MDT mags, but I have tried accurate mags and I had issues with them.

Kelby black bear owner here, AICS 10rd mags with area 419 extension in them. Run very smooth for me and I've had zero issues with them when I run them in my Remington 700, tikka, bighorn, or black bear. Cartridges are 308, .260, and 6 dasher. To be fair I've not ran the MDT mags, but I have tried accurate mags and I had issues with them.
That's odd, I have never had a problem with Accurate Mags. Had lots of problems with ARC mags though.

I have AI mags and an MDT 12 rounder that I have been trying. I run the MDT mag most of the time and have not had any issues. I will likely buy another. I did do some tuning on the MDT mag but I had to tune the AI mags as well to get them to run well in my rifle.

Give it time. They just need a little dirt to showcase their true colors.

I really wanted the ARC mags to work, love the concept, and I'm a fan of that company.

Those mags didn't even make it out to the range. Too many issues just in the living room, couldn't trust them.

First time I saw someone drop kick a magazine out of rage was at a PRS match last year - it was an ARC mag with an LRI follower. Apparently his passed the "living room" test but not the "IRL dust test" hahaha. Makes me chuckle thinking about it.

As much as I love ARC, their mags were definitely a "swing and a miss".

Reactions: PAYDIRT
I don't run a Kelbly, but through all the different actions I have, AICS mags work well and there's a reason they are the standard all other mags are held to. Get a +2 extender of your choice - I usually only fill to 10 rounds, but makes that first round come out nice and smooth when stripping if from the mag.

If you want to run the 6BR variants, the primal rights mag kits work great. I created a little "shelf" for the 6BR mag kit spacer to sit on in the extender, using Sugru.

Had anyone had any issues with MDT 12 rounders with excessive spring pressure once you get 12 rounds in them?

I haven not shot them in the 6Creedmoor they will be getting used for (parts shipped today from ALTUS ?) but loaded to the brim with .308 they seem to have a LOT of spring tension for the first 1-2 rounds out of a work rifle.

Wondering if adding a baseplate will fix this? I really don’t want to trim off a leaf from the spring.

Had anyone had any issues with MDT 12 rounders with excessive spring pressure once you get 12 rounds in them?

I haven not shot them in the 6Creedmoor they will be getting used for (parts shipped today from ALTUS ?) but loaded to the brim with .308 they seem to have a LOT of spring tension for the first 1-2 rounds out of a work rifle.

Wondering if adding a baseplate will fix this? I really don’t want to trim off a leaf from the spring.

The MDT mags seem to have a really stiff spring. Seems really stiff even with 10 rounds in them.

I bought a MDT 6BR 12 round mag for my wife's 6BRA rifle. Right now I have 10 rounds loaded in the mag, will let it sit for a few weeks to break that spring in.

I have both the ARC mag with Area 419 extender and an AICS 10 round with the MPA extender. Both run flawlessly in my 308 and 6BR, even without any spacers.

I just got an mdt 12 round in the mail a few days ago. I left 12 rounds loaded over night and it made the first round a lot smoother to load. At first it was stiff as hell. I also used some 800 grit sandpaper on the feedlips which improved the feel as well.

I have a few of the MDT 12 rd mags. They feed everything perfectly for me. 6 creed, 6.5 creed, 308, etc.
I never had any luck with the ARC mags.

I run 10 round AICS mags and like them a lot, been considering trying the ARC mags tho, I shot a match a while back with a culver stage and I wished my mag was shorter to get a bit lower and get more support from my rear bag.

I know a lot of people don't like them but the Magpul mags have done well for me.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
So far, being the poor that I am, my magpul stuff have never caused issues.

Same here.

I think so long as you have the extra slack to accommodate the plastic feed lips they work great. Probably because they're forgiving being plastic.

I have a few of the MDT 12 rd mags. They feed everything perfectly for me. 6 creed, 6.5 creed, 308, etc.
I never had any luck with the ARC mags.
Are you running the mags with the binder plate or the ones without?

I really wanted the ARC mags to work, love the concept, and I'm a fan of that company.

Those mags didn't even make it out to the range. Too many issues just in the living room, couldn't trust them.

First time I saw someone drop kick a magazine out of rage was at a PRS match last year - it was an ARC mag with an LRI follower. Apparently his passed the "living room" test but not the "IRL dust test" hahaha. Makes me chuckle thinking about it.

As much as I love ARC, their mags were definitely a "swing and a miss".
Same here.

If someone would just make a AW OR AICS 15 round mag they would sell... hint hint Area 419....

If someone would just make a AW OR AICS 15 round mag they would sell... hint hint Area 419....

The higher the capacity, the greater long-term wear on springs and odds of failure - and we all know that the second someone drops a 15rd mag, guys will slap extensions on them and they will become 18-19rd mags.

If you can't get through a stage with 12-13 round mags, there are problems that go further than your mag capacity...

Ruger precision rifle takes AR308 style Pmags. 25 rounder with Taran tactical 5 round extension because, "Fuck a mag change, right?"

Reactions: gebhardt02
I've run the MDT 12 round mags as long as they've been in existence and have never had an issue with 6 & 6.5 Creed and .308. Most of mine don't have the binder plate although my oldest one does (as they all did at that point). One of the huge plusses of the MDT 12 rounders is that you get 2 extra rounds in the same form factor as an AICS or Accurate mag with no need for an extension.

No, AW's do not have a removable bottom plate
Any way, if you already have AW's and use them you will probably abandon them after a while.
someone did reply the next day with the same answer. I’ve used them for 4 years now, and I’m not seeing a benefit to ditching them. Is there something better in your opinion?

someone did reply the next day with the same answer. I’ve used them for 4 years now, and I’m not seeing a benefit to ditching them. Is there something better in your opinion?
I used them for several years myself, mostly casual shooting. I liked the compact size. When I got interested in competition the bugs showed up. How it was explained to me by someone in the firearms industry is that the AW's (stagger stack) were designed for a receiver with three bolt lugs, the lugs picking up rounds from the mag are oriented at 5 and 7 o'clock just like the rounds in the mag, basically. Two lug action, lug is at 6 o'clock catching a small piece of the round in an AW mag, fully catching a round from an AI mag (center feed). SOME rifles will run AW's no problem, BUT tolerance stack-up and rapid bolt operations under stress will cause many to misfeed and or over-ride next round and of course that always happens at the worst possible time. Sorry about writing a book, but that's my experience.

I used them for several years myself, mostly casual shooting. I liked the compact size. When I got interested in competition the bugs showed up. How it was explained to me by someone in the firearms industry is that the AW's (stagger stack) were designed for a receiver with three bolt lugs, the lugs picking up rounds from the mag are oriented at 5 and 7 o'clock just like the rounds in the mag, basically. Two lug action, lug is at 6 o'clock catching a small piece of the round in an AW mag, fully catching a round from an AI mag (center feed). SOME rifles will run AW's no problem, BUT tolerance stack-up and rapid bolt operations under stress will cause many to misfeed and or over-ride next round and of course that always happens at the worst possible time. Sorry about writing a book, but that's my experience.
I appreciate the detailed explanation. If I do run into issues believe me I’ll be switching.