• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MagnetoSpeed Chronograph Review

Re: MagnetoSpeed Chronograph Review

Had mine out at the range this morning. After unpacking(and the Browns game, of course) I'll post a range report with results. I was surprised to see it registering a healthy 70-75fps higher than I had anticipated with my match load.

Was wondering about a couple things. Like

What about a picatinny rail adapter or something that may hang with the bipod? that may eliminate the POI shift if it is a harmonics issue.
As to monolithics. Maybe a little magnetic paint on the tip or base or some of the boron nitride treatment on the bullet. Maybe that would trip the sensors.

The cable would be very easy to lengthen since it is a typical stereo headphone plug.

Alright, shot 4 strings yesterday before the rain came. This drew a lot of attention from other shooters, so much so that I had to stop shooting to light a cig and explain it. Setup was very quick and painless. The trigger settings I used were Zero Crossing, Threshold 005

Barrel
Brux 260Rem
26", 8.5tw
M24
Ran it without a brake for simplicity

Load
140 amax
42gr 4350
BR2
2.85"
Hornady 243 brass

String 1

Avg 2873
ES 28
SD 8

String 2

Avg 2874
ES 44
SD 12

String 3

Avg 2873
ES 28
SD 11

String 4

Avg 2876
ES 31
SD 10

Overall I'm getting higher readings than I expected but the averages were very consistent and they match up with my dope so I trust em. I used a Lee powder throw and didn't double check charges on this batch so the ES was high.

All I can ask for now is that it's durable enough to serve me for a long time to come. If it does and it maintains accuracy, it's hands down the best chronograph available for all but the most demanding(and wealthy) shooters.

Im waiting eagerly for them to be able to export to Ireland .They might even have a newer improved model by then !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hiddenmongoose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im waiting eagerly for them to be able to export to Ireland .They might even have a newer improved model by then ! </div></div>

I wish I could feel bad for you, but you live in one of the most beautiful countries on the planet soooo.....I dont. I envy you.

Ordered mine and am anxiously awaiting the UPS man. this will be my first chronograph so i don't have much to compare it to but the concept totally fits my needs.

Mine will be arriving tomorrow.
grin.gif

My only suggestion is to forego the retractable cord and use the other one that comes with it. It's kinda thin and cheap whereas the other is much thicker and more substantial.

It's extremely easy to read and archive data, it also transfers seamlessly into Excel. My only wish is that the display could show ES and SD at the same time. I like to log with pen and paper as I go in case the memory card somehow fails during transport, so I find myself stopping after each string just to change the setting, write it down and change it back.

I also had reservations about the mount being loose and the strength of the clip but if you follow the instructions it locks up like a vault and doesn't stress the clip. If you study the design of the clip, you'll take note of the hinge assembly and understand why it can fail if over-stressed; it also explains why users haven't seen much of a POI shift. I know Magnetospeed mentioned an updated clip is in the pipeline but I'm not concerned about the longevity of this one. Part of the reason I think it locks up so well is because the unit is much more lightweight than it looks; you notice it immediately upon taking it out of the box. For reference, according to my left and right scale, the display feels heavier than the sensor.

Other than the minor ES/SD nitpick, I'm very pleased so far. I look forward to getting it on the other sticks.

I tried mounting it on an M1A and it doesn't work well. I tried several different ways but I couldn't get it in proper aligned.

Has anyone else tried it on an M1A and got it to work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hookman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I tried mounting it on an M1A and it doesn't work well. I tried several different ways but I couldn't get it in proper aligned.

Has anyone else tried it on an M1A and got it to work?
</div></div>

I haven't tried it but it looks like if you pull the flash hider off, you may be able to mount it behind the front sight and still place the muzzle in the proper position. If it's one of the shorter barreled scout models then I got nothin.

Let us know if you figure it out.

I've had my unit for quite a while now, and have put a few hundred rounds over it. It has not failed to read a single one until...my buckle broke. Kind of bummed, as I was in the middle of a session. A roll of tactical electrical tape came to the rescue, and I was able to finish out the day. Like many others, I contacted the manufactuer and inquired about a replacement.
I was told I could order one. Order another strap with a crappy buckle? Not to mention that they want $33.00 to ship it here via USPS, for a total of $43.00!!! I was under the impression that they would send me another at no charge, as they have done for others here?
Thinking now that I'll replace the plastic with a metal buckle of some sort.
Has anyone come across, or thought of a fix?

Thanks.

R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rman1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Has anyone come across, or thought of a fix?

Thanks.

R.
</div></div>

Velcro.....

I received my Magneto Speed but I am in the early stages of doing ladder tests and I read a few posts on here that people have seen changes in POI while using it and I was wondering if those shifts in POI were consistent enough to be able to do your ladder tests with it on or would you guys just wait until you have found your nodes then only use it to test those loads you come up with after the ladder test? Sorry if this is a rookie question but this is my first go at ladder tests and my first Chrono

Try putting the Magneto Speed on top and see if it causes a POI shift down?

Or to the side.

I guess this wouldnt work with a semi auto handgun.

Tomcat

I was just informed by Magnetospeed that there is an "update" to the device that is due in about a month (as of Sept 22nd, 2012).

No specifics were given as to what the update consists of... however, I am interested in just what that may be before I pull the trigger on a new purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chicane</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just informed by Magnetospeed that there is an "update" to the device that is due in about a month (as of Sept 22nd, 2012).

No specifics were given as to what the update consists of... however, I am interested in <span style="font-weight: bold">just what that may be</span> before I pull the trigger on a new purchase. </div></div>

Compatible, I hope!
smile.gif

Seeing this has only been available 6 months or so I'm curious about this update as well. I got in on the first run and had the strap problem and still do so i just started using velcro. They did replace the strap for me but that wasn't a long term fix. I would hope they would offer this "update" to those of us who took a chance on a new unproven product and helped put their name out there. Especially if the update is to address issues they've uncovered.

This is the answer to my fitting question I asked them awhile back.

"It might. If you go to this link and download the Bayo profile you can print it, cut it, and fit it to your gun. http://www.magnetospeed.com/pages/tech-info
The muzzle end of the brake really needs to be an inch away from the first sensor or you may have some trouble with noise (search snipershide.com). That being said we do have users with brakes mounted pretty close with good results. Also, we are working on a slightly larger version that is adaptable to larger diameter barrels/suppressors. Your brake would fit fine with it. The ETA for the new Bayo unit is about 1-1.5 months. The cost will be greater too. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other question."

Best Regards,
Garet Itz

I tinkered with mine today. I only ran it for 2 5 shot strings. The data was jaw dropping. I need to be more consistent with my reloads (Getting rid of my old, old balance scale. Gempro 250 has been ordered). If my .220 Swift easily shoots under .25MOA at 100 yards, I can only imagine what it will do as soon as I refine my reloading skills.
crazy.gif

Series 1 Shots: 5
Min 3676 Max 3776
Avg 3734 S-D 41
ES 100

Series Shot Speed
1 1 3706 ft/sec
1 2 3756 ft/sec
1 3 3676 ft/sec
1 4 3776 ft/sec
1 5 3759 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----
Series 2 Shots: 5
Min 3717 Max 3852
Avg 3767 S-D 61
ES 135

Series Shot Speed
2 1 3852 ft/sec
2 2 3720 ft/sec
2 3 3736 ft/sec
2 4 3717 ft/sec
2 5 3813 ft/sec
---- ---- ---- ----

Can someone please explain to me how I can retrieve the data that the unit was displaying during the Diagnostic Mode? I noticed that I had a difference of 100 between Pulse Width 1 and Pulse Width 2. According to the MagnetoSpeed manual, "The two pulse widths are the duration of the positive part of the bullet's passage. They need not be exactly the same, but a large mismatch may indicate a problem." May indicate a problem? WTF does that mean? Like what? And how do I fix it? The manual is soooo freakin' vague.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seeing this has only been available 6 months or so I'm curious about this update as well. I got in on the first run and had the strap problem and still do so i just started using velcro. They did replace the strap for me but that wasn't a long term fix. I would hope they would offer this "update" to those of us who took a chance on a new unproven product and helped put their name out there. Especially if the update is to address issues they've uncovered. </div></div>

Agreed. My strap was broken letting a guy at my range demo it. He was sold, then took it off his gun, breaking the strap, and handing me the broken mess as he left.

Magnetospeed charged me for the repair parts, so I won't be demoing their stuff any more, despite liking the product.

Had a Chrony Beta Master for about ten years. Sent it in for calibration at/around 8 years as I was getting very inconsistent readings, very high SDs even on factory loads I'd used as standards before. Unit came back, started acting up again a few months later, sold it, got a CED Millennium 2 which has worked well except for lighting conditions at my range. I bought an IR emitter unit for it, carry a 4 amp sealed 12V gel cell with an adapter made up from an old wall-wart charging unit and for the most part it works well, giving me very consistent readings, but it takes time to set up. Sometimes more time than I'd like and I have already hit one of the sky screens while testing pistol loads.

I'm about a coin toss away from buying one of the magnetospeed units, except for that strap problem. THAT would piss me off, and does still knowing this is an ongoing problem, an engineering design flaw the mfr should have fixed before these ever left the factory by doing failure analysis.

Looks like I'll wait a while longer.

I have one of these. What I don't get is why a company would sell a product that they know has a fragile part, and when it breaks charge you for a replacement part. Don't get me wrong, it works like a champ, for now.

I don't agree with Magnetospeed charging for replacement parts but if you follow the instructions you shouldn't break the buckle. If it does, you're probably better off retro-fitting the velcro mod than buying replcement parts.

So far that seems to be the only complaint and to me it's not enough to justify going back to an optical type chronograph. Worst case scenario, I keep a roll of electrical tape in the range bag.

I'm gonna try to mill out a stainless buckle sometime in the next few weeks, though it would be nice to see someone jump in with a polymer buckle and hardened steel retaining pin.

Do these things work ok with all types of muzzle brakes?

What about radial type brake with holes all the way around it, do these type of brakes cause any problems?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: samson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do these things work ok with all types of muzzle brakes?

What about radial type brake with holes all the way around it, do these type of brakes cause any problems? </div></div>

Have you checked out the manufacturer's site? You can usually find info on them, such as this page here .

I bought one of these this past Tuesday. They are local so I picked it up at their office. I went to the range that night to test it out but my unit ended up having electronics issues preventing it from reading most of the data coming in from the bayo reliably. It captured 5/35 rounds fired. I had no concerns about the strap system - I realized that if you tighten the strap too much before flipping the clickcam down that it will apply too much force and potentially break those parts. There's really no need to tighten it that far in my opinion.

I contacted them via email and they responded within 30 minutes and asked that I stop by to have it checked out. I went by their offices today and met them as well as swapped out my lcd unit for another one. They tested mine while I was there and confirmed the issues.

I also picked up one of the new developments they have in store for the next version - an updated system for tightening the strap. I had no concerns about the existing version but this new version is certainly a bit more dummy proof. I plan to use it this weekend and will report back on the system.

A fella at the range I was at had one of these and let me try it on my rifle.

I thought the numbers matched up just fine, it was easy to put on and take off.

From the time he handed it to me it took less than two minutes to get it on the gun, and bang out a 5 shot string.

And I didn't have to request to cease fire the line to go out front and set a big rig-a-ma-role up. Or worry about shooting its parts, the angle of the sensors... the lighting conditions..... or take it all down...

I was impressed, and will be picking one up.

--Fargo007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the new mount/straps available for purchase with a new chrono? </div></div>

I don't think they're available for purchase. They asked if I wanted to test it for them, and of course I agreed.

I saw their suppressor accommodating version of the bayonet as well. I'll definitely be upgrading once those are ready.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the new mount/straps available for purchase with a new chrono? </div></div>

I don't think they're available for purchase. They asked if I wanted to test it for them, and of course I agreed.

I saw their suppressor accommodating version of the bayonet as well. I'll definitely be upgrading once those are ready.</div></div> how about some quick pics of the new mount system

Here you go:

Comparing the original system with the new. The old system on the right put most of the pressure on that metal pin that was only held in place by somewhat thin plastic, especially on the outside edge where the force was directed. The new system uses a sling swivel attachment made of metal.

IMG_0025.JPG

Here you can see the buckle on the left side as well as the way the main structure holds on to the bayonet. Those two prongs stay in that position and no longer does that piece get rotated.

IMG_0022.JPG

Here it is on the rifle but not tightened. The knurled knob on the bottom is threaded all the way through and you turn it clockwise to tighten.

IMG_0023.JPG

And here it is tightened down. You first pull the strap through the buckle on the other side and cinch it down fairly snugly, then you rotate the knob to pull the swivel downwards adding pressure the the strap over the top of the barrel.

IMG_0024.JPG

is that your design or their new improved version? i was just on their site and didnt see anything about the new version?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FamilyMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is that your design or their new improved version? i was just on their site and didnt see anything about the new version?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerfan9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the new mount/straps available for purchase with a new chrono? </div></div>

I saw their suppressor accommodating version of the bayonet as well. I'll definitely be upgrading once those are ready.</div></div>

The updated/larger bayo is awesome. The inserts that come with it allow you to use it on barrels and suppressors up to 2" thick.

Straight 1.25" Barrel
IMG_2607.jpg

IMG_2608.jpg

IMG_2610.jpg

I think everyone will really like the new clamp design. It is a huge improvement over the older design. I don't think anyone will be breaking it at all.

Cheers!!!!!

A few weeks time.
smile.gif

The new larger kit will cost about $100 or more than their original design. The new bayo can be used with barrels as small as .5" at the muzzle (Roughly).

Got an email from company this morning, next batch is due out in 2-3 weeks. I specifically asked about the improved strap system that was demo'd here by one of the Hide members.
And today, my chrono would not pick up any rounds at the range: " Screens triggering together ". Oh well, it still beat working.

I would definitely send mine in for a retrofit if they'll do it. It's been fine for me but I like the peace of mind.

I bought the first version and returned since it did not work with my 1.25" barrels. MS gave me full credit which I applied to a revision which they decided to make after getting so many requests.

The revised version arrived Monday. The strap now tightens with a thumbscrew.

The "V" block has 2 rubber inserts of different thickness, plus 3 additional plastic inserts which can be screwed on and will accept either of the rubber inserts and are, themselves, stackable. So, the thickness combinations are many, and should easily fit your supressors.

A square rubber pad is included to wrap around your "can" to prevent heat from damaging the bayo.

With so many height options you must DEFINITELY look through your barrel, or insert a rod in the end of the barrel to assure clearance for your bullet when/if you change barrels or rifles.

Mine worked perfectly from the first shot after inserting the correct inserts.

Frank B.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longranger1a</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought the first version and returned since it did not work with my 1.25" barrels. MS gave me full credit which I applied to a revision which they decided to make after getting so many requests.

The revised version arrived Monday. The strap now tightens with a thumbscrew.

The "V" block has 2 rubber inserts of different thickness, plus 3 additional plastic inserts which can be screwed on and will accept either of the rubber inserts and are, themselves, stackable. So, the thickness combinations are many, and should easily fit your supressors.

A square rubber pad is included to wrap around your "can" to prevent heat from damaging the bayo.

With so many height options you must DEFINITELY look through your barrel, or insert a rod in the end of the barrel to assure clearance for your bullet when/if you change barrels or rifles.

Mine worked perfectly from the first shot after inserting the correct inserts.

Frank B.

</div></div>

What was the price for the complete setup with the new mounting hardware?

Whilst i love the product like mentioned above why use a thin plastic clip that will be used repeatedly ? Pretty silly Imo . I just emailed to see if the new mount is for sale

Tag this thread. And a summary so people don't have to read 8 pages like I just did.

Been up and down emotionally the whole time. I'm dependent on a co-worker for his Chrono and it's a huge pain the arse. Plug very old and uses paper and wires. So pulling for this thing.

Works great. Very consistent. Sonic wave POI shift up. Possible clip breakage. Me telling myself I'll just break it and make my own strap. Not configurable with some cans. Works with most muzzle-breaks. Lowlight found a muzzle-break that killed it. Multiple people reporting clip-breakage. Won't read solids. Now company has a new bayou-attcahment that is stronger and bigger.

Honestly, what kills me is the solids. That might keep me away. But makes sense and I wonder why I didn't envision that problem on page 1?

TTR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gstaylorg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had no problem reading solids using the factory setting.</div></div>

Did I misunderstand Lowlight's post? Or was just a particular solid?

TTR

Just spoke to Magneto speed will be getting the upgraded mount system
smile.gif

Oh and have tried this using 165gr Hornady Gmx for my Ruger scout with no issues very consistent readings .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticaltshirtsREP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag this thread. And a summary so people don't have to read 8 pages like I just did.

TTR </div></div>
Dude you rock! I love the Cliff Notes condensed version of threads that if am interested in.

The time you could have saved me before I read all 9,000 pages of the Stainless Tumbling Media thread... before I bought one.

I'm in the market for a chronograph and I am waiting to see how they do with new mount. Glad to see the company is addressing quality control concerns with the strap from the get go. Seems like a great product.