• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MagnetoSpeed Chronograph Review

Re: MagnetoSpeed Chronograph Review

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So just sell it here and buy the V2. </div></div>

Yeah, that's what I'm going to end up doing. Purchased the V2 on 1/23 for $375 + $12.12 shipping = $387.12.

In fact, UPS says it's "out for delivery" right now.

I get one of these. I don't even take my ced chrono to the range b/c of the pain in the ass factor of setting it up. This looks like an easy, quick setup.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shootinsurveyor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So any new findings or news about these recently? Im pretty interested in these. </div></div>

I bought the V2 and took it the range for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I have never used a chrono before but was impressed with how easy it was to set up and use.
P1040125.JPG

Nice clear and easy to read display.
P1040129.JPG

P1040130.JPG

And I like the way it saves the data to a mini SD card so that you can print it out or save to your computer.
Chrono%2520report.jpg

Overall I am very happy with it so far and glad that I didn't go with the conventional chrono set up.

Good pictures. Looking at it I wonder if someone could take a short length of PVC pipe in 1/2", 3/4" or 1" size, and route a slot down the length so it would slip over the "sensor stage" of the "bayonet"? This may reduce the amount of the POI shift that everyone seems to experience (and complains about)... I don't have one of these yet but it seems like it would work (with a smaller diameter being better). Maybe get creative with a CNC mill and machine a form fitted "slot" in the PVC that would "plug" onto the "sensor stage" and glue/strap it in place... Might be something for them to do to create a "version 3".... (won't that piss people off
laugh.gif
) Just line it up with a cleaning rod when installing it on the barrel so there is no "baffle strike".

I don't think that POI shift is a problem because it is repeatable(if I was a better shot). Take your shots, get your data, remove chrono and shoot.

5 shot group at 100 yards with Magnetospeed attached.
2013-01-06_10-21-01_179.jpg

I agree about the POI shift and repeatability with one caveat. It's <span style="font-style: italic">usually</span> very repeatable.

However, if the strap is a teensy bit loose (which some folks might be doing on purpose to prevent the plastic locking clamp from breaking), the bayonet can rotate around the barrel slightly from shot to shot, such that it is no longer directly at 6:00. In that event, the POI will move proportionally in relation to the muzzle blast from the sensor deck.

It's not a big deal as long as you're aware of it and make sure the sensor deck remains at 6:00 with regard to the barrel when load testing or just shooting groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After reading of all the buckle problems others have had I have been real careful with mine... But apparently 40 degrees was to cold and one side could not handle it. So now the buckle/clasp is half broke...

I guess I will find out how good the customer service is.

Update:

I sent an email and got a response back within minutes, on a Sunday no less... I'd say there Customer Service Great!!!</div></div>

Update #2

Parts arrived Wednesday in the mail, I am now back up and running with the HD clasp... I could not be more pleased with the service I got! Thanks Mr. Petersen & Magnetospeed!

I finally decided to pick one up. I bought the V-1 new style Magneto speed and received it a few days ago. I just got back from the range this morning. I used it on a L/R bolt gun. I ran about 6 series.

So easy to set up and use. It didn't miss a shot. It did make the point of impact shift .4 -.5 MIL high, but the shots were still pretty accurate. I only need it for non suppressed rifles, so it will be perfect for me.

No setting up a tripod or worrying about shooting your sky screens or your base unit. So far, very happy with it. Not cheap, but so much more convenient than a traditional chronograph. Not being very gadget literate, I was worried about using the menu, but I found it to be very easy to use. I run my string, write down the velocities, avg speed and sd numbers, then clear the memory back to series 1 and start another series. Happy with it so far.

My only concern is the bayo unit is plastic and not real sturdy. I'll be looking for a protective sleeve of some type to prevent snapping it when transporting it in a pack. I'm thinking of a piece of thin 3" PVC drain pipe capped and putting the bayo unit in a sock. The display unit with the cables fit nicely into a small nylon case for protection. What have you guys come up with protecting the bayo unit?

I got my unit in yesterday and was fiddling around with it fitting it on my rifles. When i mount it on my AR, the side blast chamber on the muzzle brake overlaps the end of the vblock mount maybe by a quarter of a inch. The brake is a rainier Arms XTC if you want to look it up. Is that overlap going to cause damage to the mount? I can't slide the unit any further back because of my Samson free float rail. I guess I could take the rail off for a few minutes to shoot. Anyone got any ideas on whether the blast will damage anything?

Yeah I know a picture would help, but it turned out to be easier to take the rail off than post a picture.
laugh.gif
. Ill post some results after the weekend.

Took my new unit out to test for the first time today. Super easy to use. Mount the bayonet, plug it together and shoot. Did a string of wolf 55gr and it had a sd of over 100. All my other loads had sd of 10 or 11. This thing is great.

According to the manual, the magnetospeed has 3 backlight options: Off, (Always) On, and Only on when the switch is moved.

On my v2, I only have On and Off options, and the backlight doesn't illuminate when the switch is moved.

I've noticed that the backlight will flicker if the cable is jiggled like there's some type of short.

Anyone else having a similar experience?

More on the excellent CS
I just got my V1 a few weeks ago, and it works great. My only problem was the strap kept working loose after a number of shots (mounted on a braked 300wm)
I noticed because the usually small SD suddenly widened. Even a little looseness is not good for repeatability.

I emailed them today, and within minutes, a reply came back (thx Weston), complete with a pdf diagramming a new way of routing the strap.

And a comment on the plastic/sturdiness - if it were made of something much stronger, it would be heavier, making any POI effect much worse. I think this design (I had borrowed the earlier design) with the thumbscrew tightening is about perfect.

I received my V2 package yesterday. Will try it out today or tomorrow. Fits nicely in the case. Strap and buckle setup is very easy. No problem to get it setup on a skinny barrel all the way up to my suppressor at 1.75". More later.

Bob

Field review ...

I took my new V2 out for a test run this afternoon. I shot a total of 62 rounds over it. From a .260AI I shot 24 rounds suppressed and 20 rounds unsuppressed and then 18 rounds from a custom Ruger Super Redhawk revolver. It didn't miss a shot! It is extremely easy to setup and the display was easy to read. Each time I changed loads or added the suppressor, etc., I archived the data sets. When I got home a little while ago, I imported the file into Excel. Boom! All the data is nicely displayed. It's like night and day comparing to a chrono with sky screens! I won't go back. Awesome.

Bob

Question, for hose with a suppressor or a brake that has no downward ports, are you guys noticing the same poi shift as the others?

Good to go! It has never missed a reading. Tried it on a friend's .338LM with a huge brake on it. No problem. I use it on my suppressor on multiple rifles. No problem.

Bob

So these are good to go? Thinking of picking up one this winter.

I like mine so far. I just bought a V1 from Camelot Tactical (sniperdude). Great to deal with. It works great on my bolt guns. The barrel on my MWS (16") is too short and I can't attach the front of the chrono to the barrel - there isn't enough room between the part that attaches to the barrel and the handgaurd for the cord to connect. That was a bummer, other than that they're great. Compact, intuitive, easy to use. I love the fact that I can put the entire box in my shooting bag (the one made by Midway).

I've use a V1 on everything from a sporter profile barrel 243 through a 338LM with a Badger FTE. Works great across the board. Great customer service as well.

L

guys,

ok , like I said, have a couple deals going on.

I also have a sale on almost all other items in stock so check it out. also the drag bags include shipping to the 48 as well

as long as it can be added to the cart its in stock

CAMELOT-TACTICAL.COM

thanks,

Ray

Last edited:
10 months later, still bad ass. You can go to their website and get dimensions to compare the V1 and V2 for your application(s).

Ordered a V1 from Ray @ Camelot two weeks ago. Opted for Priority shipping to get it for weekend shooting. Ray advised via email of having an issue with local PO, and upgraded my order to Fedex on his dime! Wanted to acknowledge that and give props...had my V1 in hand the following day. Thanks Ray!

Used the V1 on two rifles without a hitch. Did notice POI shift .1mil right/.1mil low when attached on one rifle, and .1mil right on the other (Thruster braked) rifle. But the unit functioned beautifully! All positive readings in cold (15F) temps...impressed so far!