• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report MagnetoSpeed sensitivity settings

F4D

Private
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2010
Phx, Ariz
Has anyone reset sensitivity numbers for for different bullet profiles and weights?
For my 308 I left the setting at default which is 14.
For 243 I set it at 8
For 223 I set it at 6
I was going to play with the numbers starting at 14 and go down to the smallest number for each caliber I shoot to see the difference in recorded FPS. However, it's getting too hot here in Arizona.
Just curious if anyone is nuts enough to have done this.

The sensitivity setting is important to get the proper FPS reading for each caliber of projectile. At least that is what I understand from the manual.

The manual says you shouldn't have to adjust the sensitivity for caliber. Only says it needs adjusted if you are going to use air rifles and some really slow projectiles. If you get it too sensitive than you will get bad data.

Wonder if it's low or high when set too sensitive? I chrono'd some new loads and shot them at 600 and 1,000. The FPS did not match the actual dope. They were much faster according to the 3 programs I used compared to the chrono.

Reactions: Billiam1211
Check the manual specific for your version as well. I believe the V3 goes from level 1 to 12. The concept is that metal jacketed bullets are easy to detect and require a low sensitivity, and slow moving (<1000 fps) or solid lead projectiles require a higher sensitivity for reliable detection. The V3 also has a secondary detection that is on by default but would be removed for rapid fire.

I'm having some problems with my DOPE. I'm using my magnetespeed V2 and getting an average MV 2700 ft/s but with actual fire data is showing my MV at 2874 ft/s. This MV is calculated from Applied Ballistics with a range of 1037 yards with bullet drop of 7.8 mils. Range determined by Vectronix Terrapin PLRF. I don't believe my gun can shoot a 185 gr VDL at 2874 ft/s. The facts in this shooting data is the ranged of 1037 and the bullet drop of 7.8 mils. Unsure were to go from here and help is welcome. I'm going to go back to basics and re-shoot my gun and check MV. Then do bullet drops with know ranges and see what happens. How accurate is the magnetospeed V2?

Thanks
Rich L

I'm having some problems with my DOPE. I'm using my magnetespeed V2 and getting an average MV 2700 ft/s but with actual fire data is showing my MV at 2874 ft/s. This MV is calculated from Applied Ballistics with a range of 1037 yards with bullet drop of 7.8 mils. Range determined by Vectronix Terrapin PLRF. I don't believe my gun can shoot a 185 gr VDL at 2874 ft/s. The facts in this shooting data is the ranged of 1037 and the bullet drop of 7.8 mils. Unsure were to go from here and help is welcome. I'm going to go back to basics and re-shoot my gun and check MV. Then do bullet drops with know ranges and see what happens. How accurate is the magnetospeed V2?

Thanks
Rich L

You may want to do a tall target test at 50 or 100 yards to see it if your scope is tracking correctly.

Thanks
Rich L
Make sure you have the proper setup of the bayonet to the barrel. Improper distance will throw off readings(FPS), .250 or 1/4 inch distance is a must for proper pickup.

Manual http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/015...ctions.pdf?208

Last edited:
Contact Magnetospeed

Been there. I'll sum up their answer for you.

"Our shit is right and you are wrong. We have never had a failure to date. All issues are on the end user. Send it to us if you want but it would be a waste of time."

Pile on and call me an asshole all you want or say I don't know what I am doing but I wasn't impressed with it. For the money I expect closer than 75-150 fps. I could live with 30-50 but hell I can guess the speed as good as it did for a lot less than it costs.

Make sure you have the proper setup of the bayonet to the barrel. Improper distance will throw off readings(FPS), .250 or 1/4 inch distance is a must for proper pickup.

Manual http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/015...ctions.pdf?208

I messed with the gap and never got any differing results.

Sorry I'm so late on this thread hahaha, only five years. Has anyone ever tested this? I got back from the range yesterday with velocity numbers and realized I forgot to change my sensitivity from my .22 tests. I was at setting 10 instead of whatever the "normal" setting is. My velocities were faster than I expected by about 15 fps. The problem is I also changed my primer seating method so... is the velocity difference from seating the primers "better" or from my carelessness in the sensitivity setting? Unfortunately I won't be able to get back to the range before my club match next weekend. I realize that 15 fps isn't going to make much of a difference but I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm so late on this thread hahaha, only five years. Has anyone ever tested this? I got back from the range yesterday with velocity numbers and realized I forgot to change my sensitivity from my .22 tests. I was at setting 10 instead of whatever the "normal" setting is. My velocities were faster than I expected by about 15 fps. The problem is I also changed my primer seating method so... is the velocity difference from seating the primers "better" or from my carelessness in the sensitivity setting? Unfortunately I won't be able to get back to the range before my club match next weekend.
Your best bet would be to take a box of ammo to the range and shoot over the MS while adj the sensitivity and see what happens. I predict not much, I had to reset mine 3 yrs ago, just to pick up bullets. My velocities match dopes.
You will have to wing it for a couple stages and adjust on the fly till you can sort it out later.

Reactions: photorestore