• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magnetosporter Sporter mount mod

Nebulous

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2018
Since we’re all still supposed to be inside here is a simple DIY mod for the magnetospeed sporter I did awhile ago. The idea here is to add a 3/8” threaded nut to the inside of the bayonet which allows it to be mounted free from the barrel in a variety of ways. The best part is this won’t interfere with original mounting strap.

Tools:
Hand file/bench grinder
Tooth picks?

Supplies:
1/4” - 20 nut
JB weld original

All I did was file down 2 of the corners to an arc and removed a little bit from the flat on the opposite side.
IMG_20200121_154212.jpg
IMG_20200121_154256.jpg

This allows the nut to drop down into the kind of center channel in the bayonet.
IMG_20200121_154543.jpg

The hole in the bottom has to be opened ever so slightly so I just used a bolt to thread the plastic.
IMG_20200121_154633.jpg

Once I was happy with the fit of the nut, I just filled in the bottom with JB weld.
IMG_20200121_163313.jpg

As for mounting hardware I’m using 15mm lightweight rods which is a spec from the film world (if your curious https://thecinelens.com/2014/01/27/iris-rods-a-simple-explanation/) this stuff is cheap and easy to get with crazy variety. You want to mount a bunch of things to a tripod you can make it happen with this stuff.
Anyways I’m using a NATO clamp to 15mm rod and then I have use a little 15mm threaded block since it doesn’t have a recoil lug for the pic rail.
IMG_20200428_122210.jpg

I then have a choice of carbon, aluminum or steel rods but have stuck with the carbon rods cause of weight. Now I have only used this mod in conjunction with a 12” magic arm at the range and that seemed to work fine other than 3 “error-2” instances over 2 range sessions; in total it was around 55 rounds.
IMG_20200129_143126.jpg

Since I’ve been sitting around; I finally came up with a direct rod mounted set up using a “cheese” rod support. This setup is very ridged and just barely works for my barrel contour. I haven’t tested it yet since my range is closed but will get out there as soon as I can.
IMG_20200428_111757.jpg

I’m still looking for another mounting option that will give me more flexibility at the bayonet without adding a bunch of weight. This has also shown me how much flex there is around the bravo for-end mlok slots, this is where most of the play is for me with this setup.

Hope this helps some folks and gives you some ideas.

Last edited:
I grinted my sporter down a bit on the plastic part that comes in contact with the barrel to avoid the barrel hitting it and getting a point of impact change.

Reactions: 338dude
it clears the barrel but only by a few mm in that last pic. When I took it out to the range I was using an included rubber spacer to get it set up and then taking the spacer off.

it clears the barrel but only by a few mm in that last pic. When I took it out to the range I was using an included rubber spacer to get it set up and then taking the spacer off.
Yeah but what I am saying is it is still going to hit the magneto speed from barrel whip, so it can still throw off POI. Which is why I ground mine down to avoid that.

I can further off set from the barrel by just rotating the mount on the rod and adjusting the bayonet, this just uses the least 15mm LW parts. I can use an offset clamp to add another rod to give me a few inches of movement.
How much space do you leave?
IMG_20200428_183411.jpg
IMG_20200428_183330.jpg

Yeah but now it's further away from the bore when you just move it down and probably wont pick up the speed, its needs to be like 1/4th of and inch from the bore if I remember right. So I personally just cut that black plastic off where it normally mounts to the barrel.

dude that was an example of how much space I have to work with... obviously the sensor need to be in its operational range which is apparently 1/8"-0.375"
I guess if I ever get out to the range I'll shoot some high speed and see how much everything moves. When I messed with it using the magic arm and a gap from the barrel as thick as one of the rubber spacers I didn't notice a shift and it didnt seem to have issues reading shots. Honestly the flex in the stock I feel is a bigger issue than the barrel which is why I messed with a really goofy setup going under my bipod. Any how I don't want to give up the OEM mount hence why I wasn't thinking about grinding it down. I should have asked how much clearance from the barrel do you think is really needed?

I like it. I need something similar for my Magneto Speed

OP could you post a few places to get those rods and clamp selection, especially for those of us that dont know shit about cinematic equipment.
Sorry and sure. Search on amazon and you will find a lot of stuff under "15mm rods" or "shoulder rig". One of my favorite brands is Small Rig, I've been buying their stuff for a number of years and they seem to have some of the highest quality to price ratio I have found. SmallRig Amazon look at "shoulder rig" and "supports".
If you head over to B&H and Adorama you are going to be looking in the "Camera Support" sections under "Video".
You will see "rigs" used a lot "support rigs" "camera rig" thats just typically how they refer to setups made with these kind of parts.
B&H Support Rigs
Adorama Camera support
Abel Cine Camera Support Accessories

as with anything there are high end brands like Bright Tangerine (their magic arm is the shit), Zacuto, Wooden Camera, Shape it just really depends on how much you want to spend.

here are the parts I'm using in the most streamlined configuration:
NATO Clamp
Threaded Block/Adapter
Cheese Rod Support
12" carbon rods

If you want to give the magic arm a shot it seemed to work just fine. I was just using a ~20$ 11" arm, personally I would want to step it up in quality if I was going to be using it that way regularly. Sadly magic arms go up in price very quickly and a decent one starts around 100$ and only goes up from there.

15mm LW is super useful, I can throw together a little bino holder when I go out to the range, multi camera mounts, I've used them to make tripod laptop holders, we often like to call them Professional LEGOS.

Edit: forgot to add eBay, yes it is what it is but I have found some great stuff on there including the piece holding the bayonet in my second set of pics. Haven't seen that part anywhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishkat
Sorry and sure. Search on amazon and you will find a lot of stuff under "15mm rods" or "shoulder rig". One of my favorite brands is Small Rig, I've been buying their stuff for a number of years and they seem to have some of the highest quality to price ratio I have found. SmallRig Amazon look at "shoulder rig" and "supports".
If you head over to B&H and Adorama you are going to be looking in the "Camera Support" sections under "Video".
You will see "rigs" used a lot "support rigs" "camera rig" thats just typically how they refer to setups made with these kind of parts.
B&H Support Rigs
Adorama Camera support

as with anything there are high end brands like Bright Tangerine (their magic arm is the shit), Zacuto, Wooden Camera, Shape it just really depends on how much you want to spend.

NATO Clamp
Threaded Block/Adapter
Cheese Rod Support
12" carbon rods

If you want to give the magic arm a shot it seemed to work just fine. I was just using a ~20$ 11" arm, personally I would want to step it up in quality if I was going to be using it that way regularly. Sadly magic arms go up in price very quickly and a decent one starts around 100$ and only goes up from there.

15mm LW is super useful, I can throw together a little bino holder when I go out to the range, multi camera mounts, I've used them to make tripod laptop holders, we often like to call them Professional LEGOS.

Edit: forgot to add eBay, yes it is what it is but I have found some great stuff on there including the piece holding the bayonet in my second set of pics. Haven't seen that part anywhere else.

thanks for the links!

as far as the magic arm. I have a number of NOGA mounts I use in the machine shop that would be considered "high end" in flex arms of that design, as im pretty sure they were the original inventors of that style. might be another option to mess around with

Reactions: Nebulous
B&H Support Rigs
Adorama Camera support

NATO Clamp
Threaded Block/Adapter
Cheese Rod Support
12" carbon rods

Those NATO clamps are almost exactly what I was looking for a while back. Went to an aluminum build because I couldn't find anything that would work. What's the weight on those?

What's the weight on those?

NATO Clamp - 1.55oz
Threaded Block/Adapter - 1.1oz
Cheese Rod Support - 1.46oz
12" carbon rod - 0.72oz (the small rig rods are 1.21oz)

so I'm at 4.83oz without the bayonet and a bolt

Did you run it with the arm or the rod?

I ran the rod setup.
I went with two rods and two the wishbone style clamps. this gave me all of X, Y, and Z axis of adjustment, and One of those clamps screwed to the bottom of my V3 bayo bracket. I was waiting on another pic clamp in the mail to be able to try the arm.

@Nebulous thank you for this great idea! This is really a win win solution. Looks professional and not some cobbled together piece of crap. It’s strong, lightweight and inexpensive. I have a rifle with a Bravo and the others are in Manners stocks. I need to figure out how to extend the bipod rails on those. Thanks for sharing.

I'm glad I found this thread before I tried cobbling together some pos mount for my magnetospeed. Will definitely be using this design to make my own.

Honestly I looked at a couple of third party mounts and probably would have gone that route if I hadn't had all these parts already laying around.
A lot of people are inquisitive enough when I pull out my mount at the range, I think the wiser would really confused the hell out of them.

Reviving this thread with a few pictures for a V3 setup. Thanks to @Nebulous for the great idea! I had a bunch of this stuff in my camera kit anyway, and purchased the rest from B&H Photo. One little trick is to tape the spacer bar to the bayonet while you're adjusting it, mine kept falling off.

Here's the basic setup. I used 10-24 bolts to attach the V3 so I wouldn't need to modify it.

IMG_2996.jpg

Attached to three different rifles:
IMG_3001.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MediumSpeed
I've been sketching ideas for one of these to use on my W3 chassis. My latest idea was to have a rigid, pic rail mount carbon fiber tube slide down over the barrel and just strap the bayonet to it. On my 16" AR, I just mount to the 15" handguard and have never had an issue.

Reviving this thread with a few pictures for a V3 setup. Thanks to @Nebulous for the great idea! I had a bunch of this stuff in my camera kit anyway, and purchased the rest from B&H Photo. One little trick is to tape the spacer bar to the bayonet while you're adjusting it, mine kept falling off.

Here's the basic setup. I used 10-24 bolts to attach the V3 so I wouldn't need to modify it.

View attachment 7780181
Attached to three different rifles:
View attachment 7780186

View attachment 7780191

View attachment 7780195
Check out wiser precision they have a carbon fiber tube mount that is very late and I’ve been working for me for years684FB6E7-9140-4363-B66B-85AEBC0289EC.jpeg
684FB6E7-9140-4363-B66B-85AEBC0289EC.jpeg

ive been running this setup for a few years now and its awesome, especially on my superior chassis. the only down side is the stupid slope on most Mcmillan stocks, when you add your ARCA rail ,the mount, tubes, and ultimately the bayonet are on an upslope, which can be tricky to get your alignment so your stupid buddy who shoots A5 stocks doesn't blow the tip of your bayonet off...

ask me how I know

ask me how I know
Ouch...

I'm not clear if you're running the Wiser rig or the 15mm rail type. If the latter, maybe something like this would allow you to alter the slope of the bayonet so it's parallel to the bore instead of the stock:

Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 8.44.14 PM.png

Ouch...

I'm not clear if you're running the Wiser rig or the 15mm rail type. If the latter, maybe something like this would allow you to alter the slope of the bayonet so it's parallel to the bore instead of the stock:

View attachment 7781395

Im running the camera tube gear posted above. no the wiser mount. thats a great option thought, as long as I can have the bayonet mounted to that rather that gimbal mounted to the gun end.

or I can tell my buddies that shoot stocks to piss off and get their own shit. :)

Im running the camera tube gear posted above. no the wiser mount. thats a great option thought, as long as I can have the bayonet mounted to that rather that gimbal mounted to the gun end.
Actually, here's a better idea that will allow you to simply tilt an extra piece of 15mm rail. The bayonet would mount on a clamp at the end of the extra piece, and this would allow you to tilt it one step back from the end. Much stronger than the ball head:
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 9.01.25 PM.png

Actually, here's a better idea that will allow you to simply tilt an extra piece of 15mm rail. The bayonet would mount on a clamp at the end of the extra piece, and this would allow you to tilt it one step back from the end. Much stronger than the ball head:
View attachment 7783111

now we are talking. thanks brother

Reactions: Bean