• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

magnfied Passive NV aiming without a clip-on?

WindstormSCR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2021
Maryland
Similar to another thread but something more focused, are there any prism sights with enough eye relief that it is reasonably practical to aim through them under NV?

recently built up a P&W 14.5" AR I'd like to try under NV, and already kind of settled on a 2.5-3x prism or dot/mag combo being ideal for my needs, which created the question while I've been looking at prism sights and noticed several that had brightness levels on the reticle noted as "NV compatible"

how far are you planning to shoot ?

i can see through a 4x acog with nods on but having enough illumination out past 75 to 100 yards to light up the target is usually the issue

I think a better solution would be a 1x red dot that you can use with night vision, and a 3x magnifier behind it that you can flip up to use in daylight.

Reactions: TheHorta
On the cheap get a 3x mag for your 14 and use a laser. You will hate life trying to look through a magnified day optic with a helmet mount.

Reactions: TheHorta
more that I hadn't seen discussion of it at all, so was just curious why everything seemed to love listing NV compatible brightness settings. usual marketing drivel it seems by the responses here.

I have a laser for it, but as the trend has been towards passive aim it seemed worth at least asking about. I'll probably get something like an MD-25 or HS503 with the ACSS reticle that has a BDC rather than just the dot. or a Romeo 4H with the plex reticle. Any other dots worth considering? Besides obvious eotech, but that's a big step up in price for what is not considered a primary rifle. I only have two that are getting the actual super expensive stuff and that's the MDRX and MCX

The MD25 and HS503G are trash for passive aiming, speaking from experience. You really need a dot that was engineered for passive aiming. My favorite is the AEMS.

Laser is best for moderate distance. NV setting on a scope is handy for zeroing IR laser to sighted in day scope. But, as others have said, PVS-14 and optic is PITA. If you try to mount a PVS-14 your optic would have to be too far forward to work with it removed.

I have mounted in front of Eotech and that works OK.

If you want passive consider thermal. Better bang for the buck in my opinion.

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER