• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Magnification Question

Woodbubba

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2018
I have a Vortex Gen II 5-25x50 MOA reticle on my 6.5 CM RPR. I am getting sub MOA groups routinely out to 500 yards. Planning to work out to 1000+ this year wondering what you super long range guys are using for optics. The Vortex appears capable but the images are getting smaller and smaller. Will be shooting 16” - 24” steel beyond 500 yards.

If that scope works well and tracks/returns to zero well (which it appears to from your report above) I doubt you would be initially limited by magnification at 25x. Run a tracking and return to zero test if you haven’t already, just to confirm and build confidence in your equipment. My Gen 2 PST reruns to zero well and seems to track repeatable.
You will be fine while you learn to read wind, refine your load (if needed), watch trace, spot your own shots, and you’ll have plenty of magnification to fight mirage. Some better glass might make some of these things easier, but you won’t be limited by what you have.

Edited to add: I’m not insulting or questioning since I don’t know your current equipment or skill level- you might consider spending any extra funds to advance reloading equipment, shoot more by purchasing ammo, or take a training class. These are investments that can often have a higher return than small upgrades in equipment.

shooting that size target at 500-1000, you should have no problem. i bet 75% of the people on this site have or had that same scope shooting the same distances

most guys will chime in that they dont go above 20x or the marine corps only had 10x years ago etc

no matter what magnification you put on top the images will get smaller and smaller

"usually the higher priced optic usually has slightly better optical quality", but that is general statement

the smaller and farther the fuzzier things get

then throw in some mirage and the whole thing can get fuzzy

15-30X max magnification for 1000 yards is all your going to need.

you can go for more mag but if the mirage/heat waves get really bad youll have to dial it back down, usually to the mid upper teens

^^^ What Rob said. I had a gen-1 Vortex Razor 5-20 on my first 6.5CM rifle and it was fine for 1000. In fact, if you compete, you'll find you won't use all of 20x. (Well, you might try. Once.)

If that scope works well and tracks/returns to zero well (which it appears to from your report above) I doubt you would be initially limited by magnification at 25x. Run a tracking and return to zero test if you haven’t already, just to confirm and build confidence in your equipment. My Gen 2 PST reruns to zero well and seems to track repeatable.
You will be fine while you learn to read wind, refine your load (if needed), watch trace, spot your own shots, and you’ll have plenty of magnification to fight mirage. Some better glass might make some of these things easier, but you won’t be limited by what you have.

Edited to add: I’m not insulting or questioning since I don’t know your current equipment or skill level- you might consider spending any extra funds to advance reloading equipment, shoot more by purchasing ammo, or take a training class. These are investments that can often have a higher return than small upgrades in equipment.
Thanks for the recommendations and insights. I am probably overkilling reloads already measuring every aspect of brass and load components to get match performance. Measured muzzle velocities within 1%. Am shooting around 200 rounds a month and have enrolled in a two day VLR training class. This is definitely the most fun you can have fully clothed.

Reactions: FishDr
Once you get out to distance, more magnification will show more wobble which is mentally unsettling for me. That wobble is still there when your scope is turned down, but you don’t see it so much. Also with it the magnification up, you will have more trouble finding targets under the stress and pressure of competition. I love to turn my scope up to get things dialed in at practice, but it rarely goes above 14 or so on match day.

Reactions: FishDr
I'd buy for glass quality and FOV over magnification.

I can count on my hand (one had) the number of times I have gone above 15x during a match and rarely go above 18x when I'm messing around on a bench or deck.

I would take my 12x max S&B over a lesser quality scope that maxes out at 20, 25, 30, etc. any day. If the glass cant resolve the target enough for you to clearly make it out, all the magnification wont help and can darken up and make the image worse at higher magnification.

Reactions: Bender
alot of guys are talking about matches/unstable positions.

if shooting from a bench or prone with out a time limit, the wobbles are gone for the most part.

over the past 2-3 years i have been getting higher magnification scopes.

the last one i picked up was the SB 5-45 about 1 month ago

unless there is heavy mirage its like cheating when i get the power up high

i find that shooting both eyes open i never go below 5-8 power on my scopes, even hunting.

so if i can get a scope that starts at 8x and goes way up its a win/win for me

I will say I like more magnification than less. 5-25 is a perfect range IMO.

I crank the magnification up whenever I can, maybe its my glasses and poor vision, but Im often shooting at 20-29x. I have never shot below 10x on a scope with a higher range than that (so dinky 3-9 scopes excluded) and rarely less than 15x.

That said, too much more than 20x and the mirage can really start causing havoc in the summer when temps rise.

Reactions: Bender
I run my SB PMII 5-25 at 18x for 1000 yards. Plenty of magnification for that distance and the mirage doesn't play with your eyes.