• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

magnifiers

MassDuster

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2012
Im looking for a magnifier for my AR-10 with Aimpoint ML2 on it - want to be able to go-more mid range with it. There's a ton of them out there from $80-800 - just wanted to see what people's experiences have been with different ones before I make a purchase. Thanks in advance!!!

Re: magnifiers

I know they come in 3x-7x as well, I was thinking more in the 3-5x range, or if there are good quality affordable variable ones, that's an option, too.

no one's used one? I'm leaning towards an aimpoint, but just wanted to see if there were other worthwhile (possibly less $$$) alternatives out there.

I have a Vortex VMX3 in a tall ADM swing mount behind my Eotech 557.
This is not the gun it is on right now but you get the idea.

P2280274.jpg

I could not bring myself to pay 500 on a magnifier. It works like it is made to.

I have one one my Eotech, but am not really happy with it. Because it magnifies the reticle in a seperate device you can get a little distortion and thus shift of point of aim if your magnifier is not perfectly aligned.

I'm much happier with my USO 1.8-10x for precision shooting with closer range capability.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing to remember with a magnifier, you are also magnifying the size of the reticle / dot.
With an Aimpoint type site, that dot covers quite a bit of the target.
</div></div>

Doesn't matter, just like FFP it increases the reticle and image by the same power, the exact same amount of target will be covered, that 1, 2, or whatever MOA dot is still 1, 2, or whatever MOA.

I have a Mako, that I briefly used behind the Bushnell holosight that is a copy of the 512 without the alloy shroud. Definitely increases precision at distance, clarity is fine, the mount (ring) sucks, it adds considerable weight and bulk, and there's a consistent POI shift when its installed, parallex maybe, eye relief is short, but its on a 5.56, doesn't really matter. There is a company, forget who, manufacturering one with significantly longer eye relief than most if not all others for a reasonable price. They also eat rail space and don't clear some BUIS. Mine's been living in a box for a couple years, I don't think I'd buy another with quality variable optics availible designed for speed.

thanks for all the input.

smaddox - how do you like the quality of the vortex? that's really the main one I was looking at besides the aimpoint.

It is clear. The build quality is good. The only thing about magnifiers in general is they have short eye relief.

I use it in some 3-gun matches. It has been dropped on tables and tossed into barrels without any damage. I like it because I can take it on and off without any tools depending on what the match looks like.

I bought the swing mount instead of a flip to side mount just because I like ADM.

I've used a Vortex behind a XPS2 and worked great.

Hey,

I actually began a thread about this not to long ago in the optic section here Snipers Hide

If link is not working, search 'magnifier for your holosight/red dot: please add'

I was hoping to bring together everyones experiences (including pictures) with the different options that are out there for magnifiers. I regret not taking pics of the vortex or eotech for comparison.

I ask you all to contribute anything you can, I think it would help save a crappy purchase and be helpful to see all of them in the same place.

I've personally handled the vortex, 2 different generations from mako and eotech's magnifier. The vortex and the included mount is very nice. Some are ok for casual target practice, while i would certainly not recommend for anything serious. I wouldn't suggest a magnifier that does not offer azimuth adjustment.

Good luck with your search

JMHO

I see the magnifiers as range toys. Medium speed/high drag.

Bought the EOtech 3x magnifier a few years back when I pulled triggers for a living. Thought it would be awesome. Really, really, really tried to like it, but just couldn't.

-Alot of extra weight and bulk for not really any gain. All things considered: 3x isn't much. With a stock M4 and an single center dot EOtech I could consistently hit to 450m with or without. I really felt that it didn't offer any REAL advantage.

-"Tactically" speaking, having to operate a release to have rapid target acquisition is not practical for CQB. Most people that had/have them, myself included, ran around with the mag behind the optic, as it was too awkward to leave it hanging off the side. This is counter-indicated however, as it doesn't take much imagination to know that CQB shots are the ones you need to take quickly, and the longer stuff usually has a bit more leeway on response time. I also believe that any optic with fixed eye relief is not suitable for CQB, why I am not much of a fan of the 1-8x optics (or whatever magnification).

-Short eye relief meant it was banging off my nods mount all the time. A minor complaint and no longer valid, but it was also one of the reasons I was not a big ACOG fan.

-I had a POI shift when going from magnified to non. Not horrible and it was very easy to compensate for at the longer ranges, but still just enough to bug me.

-Gets in the way of your peripheral vision. You might say "Just turn the mount around so it goes to the other side." Problem is, if you practice cornering and maximizing cover by shooting from your support side, it will be a detriment one way or the other. Defeats the advantage of being able to shoot with both eyes open. Also negates the "roll ready" technique on one side. Again, only applies if your practice those methods, as I do.

^Most of these reason follow a common theme: Why stick something behind what is intended to be a CQB optic that is a detriment to the optics advantages in CQB.

A much better shooter than me once said "When you try to make a device to fill 2 different roles, you end up with something that does neither one well." I have found this to be true the vast majority of the time.

Again, this is just my honest opinion based on my experience. Not trying to change anyone's mind or trash talk this particular concept, just giving an honest opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wallace11bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JMHO

Bought the EOtech 3x magnifier a few years back when I pulled triggers for a living. Thought it would be awesome. Really, really, really tried to like it, but just couldn't.

-Alot of extra weight and bulk for not really any gain. All things considered: 3x isn't much. With a stock M4 and an single center dot EOtech I could consistently hit to 450m with or without. I really felt that it didn't offer any REAL advantage.

-"Tactically" speaking, having to operate a release to have rapid target acquisition is not practical for CQB. Most people that had/have them, myself included, ran around with the mag behind the optic, as it was too awkward to leave it hanging off the side. This is counter-indicated however, as it doesn't take much imagination to know that CQB shots are the ones you need to take quickly, and the longer stuff usually has a bit more leeway on response time. I also believe that any optic with fixed eye relief is not suitable for CQB, why I am not much of a fan of the 1-8x optics (or whatever magnification).

-Short eye relief meant it was banging off my nods mount all the time. A minor complaint and no longer valid, but it was also one of the reasons I was not a big ACOG fan.

-I had a POI shift when going from magnified to non. Not horrible and it was very easy to compensate for at the longer ranges, but still just enough to bug me.

-Gets in the way of your peripheral vision. You might say "Just turn the mount around so it goes to the other side." Problem is, if you practice cornering and maximizing cover by shooting from your support side, it will be a detriment one way or the other. Defeats the advantage of being able to shoot with both eyes open. Also negates the "roll ready" technique on one side. Again, only applies if your practice those methods, as I do.

^Most of these reason follow a common theme: Why stick something behind what is intended to be a CQB optic that is a detriment to the optics advantages in CQB.

A much better shooter than me once said "When you try to make a device to fill 2 different roles, you end up with something that does neither one well." I have found this to be true the vast majority of the time.

Again, this is just my honest opinion based on my experience. Not trying to change anyone's mind or trash talk this particular concept, just giving an honest opinion. </div></div>

This. Very well said.

the Aimpoint and Eotech magnifiers are a step up in glass and ruggedness from all the other copies in my opinion

the whole concept of a red dot and magnifier is a compromise at best---as are the red dot and canted iron sights and my variable
scope and canted red dot----if the cost wasnt so great for a 1 to 8X or thereabouts i would like to try that also---but I am sure there are compromises there also

I would not argue the fact that the magnifier is a compromise. With the new 1-6 powers popping up all over the market with better reticles and lower weight, magnifiers are not going to be your best option in any situation.

I have shot mine for 2 years or so and it has worked well. my eotech is a 557 with multiple dots so shooting at distance is much easier with the extra magnification. I have never had a problem with POI shift. If you are completely set on using a RDS then try a magnifier. If you are buying an entirely new sight, buy a good quality 1-6.

This is just my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: macman2564</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wallace11bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">JMHO

</div></div>

This. Very well said. </div></div>

I should probably just shut up though. Mine is listed for sale right now.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3456381#Post3456381

wink.gif