• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

magpul prs on a mcrees stock / thoughts

jvr

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2011
looking at buying a mcrees stock and putting the ar buffer tube and prs as the end stock. (do not like the aluminum cheek riser set up). anyone with any comments or experience with this. (the gun is a savage 12 bvss in 223)

thanks

Re: magpul prs on a mcrees stock / thoughts

Couldnt hurt. Try it out and let us know how it goes. Dont get it with the folding mechanism. That PRS is heavy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking at buying a mcrees stock and putting the ar buffer tube and prs as the end stock. (do not like the aluminum cheek riser set up). anyone with any comments or experience with this. (the gun is a savage 12 bvss in 223)

thanks</div></div>

I have a Magpul PRS on a .308 semiauto, and I have to say I'm not fully satisfied with it. The length of pull extension is a bit shorter than I need, so I had to get a 1/2" thicker butt pad for it, but that's a minor quibble. My real complaint is that there's some play in the end of the stock anytime my length of pull adjustment is anything other than 0% or full 100% (<span style="text-decoration: underline">beyond</span> the click stop). Maybe I'm just too fussy, but a truly rigid stock is important to me, and the PRS does not quite deliver that. Now, in my own case I always use it at full extension anyway, so it works alright, but that then makes me wonder why I got an on-the-fly-adjustable stock in the first place.

As always, YMMV.

Yours,

David

I'm planning to order a Compact Carbine folder next week so I have been looking around a bit. I'd rather have a non folder I think but budget is dictating. Anyways I painted a PRS for my buddy's PTR91 and so I got to play with it a bit. Seemed fairly solid but anything thats adjustable will get out of adjustment in my experiance. Also the length looks too long for me, I set a CAR stock on the shortest setting and leave it. I learned Nose-on-the-charging-handle and its what I revert to. I am looking at putting a CAR type on it but they all seem to have the M-4 type angled buttplate, and I don't know how that will effect the feel/recoil. I have a Troy Battleaxe that I'm gonna try but it may be too wide for the folder.

So I'm open to suggestions too.

On second thought after doing some more looking, my first buttstock is going to be a CTR. The availability of basically four buttplate thicknesses-none and three thicknesses of pads-and three hieghts of cheek rests will allow a pretty custom fit.
I used a CTR for a while and it is as tough as any plastic stock I've seen and will not rattle. I'll probably limit the extention of the stock or my even semi-permanently fix it in place once I settle on a LOP that I like.

Keep the $250 for the PRS and get the McRee stock. It's solid, crazy adjustable, and once it's set, your good. I put moleskin on mine since the cheek piece can be cold to the touch. I have 2 McRee's, one folder and one non-folder.

ape8gj.jpg

Look up Brownells # 440-703-140 it's a 1/4" Sorbothane cheek protector, works great.

I am in the process of ordering a Mcrees stock for my sps tactical and installing my PRS on it. I like the PRS because the adjustments can be done with no tools and I have been using it for a while so I am just comfortable with it. I already talked to Scott about this and it will work with modifying the PRS stock so keep that in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xp100man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look up Brownells # 440-703-140 it's a 1/4" Sorbothane cheek protector, works great.</div></div>

just use a stock pack..

Stock Pack not so good for a Lefty like me or so i think, could be wrong it's happened before.

Jevans7, What do you have to modify on a PRS to get it to work, have an extra on the shelf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xp100man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stock Pack not so good for a Lefty like me or so i think, could be wrong it's happened before.</div></div>

ive seen lefty packs...

xp100man,

I am not sure yet. I just know it is designed for a carbine and there is nothing from keeping the PRS from spinning on the buffer tube. Of course you can tighten it down with the screw that connects the PRS to the buffer tube but one good bump and I am sure it will move position. I didn't ask specifically what others have done to modify the PRS but his words were exactly this:

The PRS will work, that being said,,,, the AR adapter models are designed for 5 or 6 position retractible models. The PRs is bulky and has to be tweaked to make it fit well.

I hope this helps.

When my McRees gets here Thursday i'll look into what can be done to it, didn't think about rotating. If i come up with a great idea i'll post it. PS: anyone know what thread the buffer tube is, looks like 1.187-16 to me but not sure.

Wow did not even think about it spinning! Buffer tubes are cheap though and I can think of a couple ways to semi perm one on. Or dispense with the tube alltogether, thread a length of bar stock and drop a bolt in from the top under the cheek rest(assuming the cheek rest is removeable) to lock it in place. You only drill one or two hidden holes in the PRS that way in case you change your mind and want to retask it later.

Post some pictures of the stock with the PRS. I am not sure about the threads on the buffer tube.

Tac-Ops cheek pads are the heat. I use it on my non-adj stock with mouse pad wrapped in duct tape. Also keep a mini screwdriver with changeable bits in the pocket (along with baseline dope) for emergencies. Love the 8-rd holder as well.

I just started shooting with the folder, great people to deal with, still getting used to shooting a bolt gun with a pistol grip though, the stock is very adjustable.

My concern is that the LOP would be too long even at its shortest setting. I'm also curious about using the new Magpul fixed carbine stock with the McRees.

Ohhhh... I gotcha. I have monkey arms so I usually have to move everything out. I have the McRee chassis folder w/ their stock and like the adjustability of it. I'm right handed but left eye dominant so I shoot rifles left handed. I got their stock pack when I ordered it and it's reversible to be used on the left side and I like the way it feels.