• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Magtech #5 1/2 SP Mag Primer

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
I found a couple thousand of these primers. Magtech 5 1/2 SP Mag Primer.

I several of them don't go off the first time. I try to fire then again and after 2-3 hammer strikes the fire. Once in a while I run across one that wont fire at all.

At first I thought maybe it was my 642 (though I have never had a problem with any other primers). So I tried them in my Model 27 & Model 28 Smiths with the same results.

I'm talking about 38 Spl here.

I haven't tried them in my Marlin, that't next.

Anyone else find any problems with these primers?

Since primers are hard to find at any cost, I hate to just throw these away. I'm thinking of trying them in a 223 with cast bullets except I have an aversion to using pistol primers in rifles.

Re: Magtech #5 1/2 SP Mag Primer

Kraig, I heard several similar reports on other sites about the Magtech's. Failure to fire.

I can maybe look for pistol primers down here if you like. I think I saw some last time I was in River City. Seems like those are staying in stock, and the rifle primers are gone.