• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Making A drum for a home made tumbler

5R Milspec

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2009
South Carolina
OK guys it's just as the title says.I have just come into all the parts needed to build me a tumbler.My parts all came from a treadmil ( all in great shape )To this day its been all built other than the drum.

Now I am ready for a drum.My thinking is a size that will run 1000 cases of 9mm/40,maybe a little more.I too have two ideas one round the other octogon.Both ideas have flat stock in 4 places evenly placed inside.The round idea is simple and does not need round ends welded to it to roll,but the octogon shaped one will.

I ask because most here like a tumbler with the stainless media.I haven't yet put numbers toghher for size,this too is why I am asking for help.So would you that run this tyoe of cleaner help me out.Will the round or octogon shape be better,and to what size do ya'll think I should make.

I would love to build it out of stainless but thats going to cost.So I will go with mild steel and coat the inside with a bed liner type coating.any thelp will help to building the drum.

So lets hear your ideas and lets build a really BIG tumbler.And thanks for helping me out.

Re: Making A drum for a home made tumbler

I think it would be easier to scavenge a suitable cylindrical part, and add some paddles inside...rather than fabricating an octagon drum.

I would recommend it be mounted on a gimble, arranged so that you can put a bucket under the drum and simply tip the drum to dump the brass into the bucket.

I also think it would be worthwhile to install a drainplug of some kind, guarded by a grate (that brass won't fit through) to drain most of the water/pins from the drum prior to dumping it out.

Yes ,the drain plug is a must,then this way it can drain slow and not make such a mess.So fare its all made from aluminum and stainless bolts.( had it already for free )the deck I mean,the motor and rollers are mild steel,but will get a good coat of good paint.

Just a thought,can some one help with the wireing,if they will.The motor has 4 wires coming from it.One black,one red,and two blue.( its a varable speed motor )I want to be able to use it just as it is.This will allow me to find a speed for the size of drum and the amount of brass inside being cleaned.If one cannot help with the wireing I'll have to hit up some one around here.I know the red and black are feed wires for powder,and think the blue are the speed wires to a switch.If thats the case then I should be OK myself.JUst need to know for sure,hate to blow up a really nice FREE motor.

hey, sounds like a great project, i was thinking about building one myself (though not quite on the grand scale you are proposing :D) i was wondering about the use of internal stationary blades (like a cement mixer, oh and we have one of those we are about to shift) i was also thinking because i live near a beach if shale could be washed and used as a medium (shale is small chunks of broken shells brittle but hard as nails and larger than sand as well as being less likely to cling to the case and end up in the gun)

Have at I say.The treadmil had all the parts right there for the taking.I'm not to happy about your shell idea,I would think it might be as bad or worse than corn cob in the flash hole of the primer pocket.( when it became small enough )but who knows for sure.One guy went to large grain rice in a dry form instead of corn cob even walnut.So trying might result in a good thing.

The only reason to why I am going so big is because I hate having to dry my brass.This way I'll just have more but want have to do it many times,just a lot at one time.I too will make a deck for drying the brass in the oven.I have just enough aluminum to make a brass cookie sheet with screws placed evenly to hold them upside down.So I think i got lucky with the scrape I was able to come into.

glade I could help to this is the reason for my posting my treasure that I found.

Very cool idea. I real like this home-made stuff. In regards to the motor wiring, look for a part number or a manufacturer number and enter the number into google search. Chances are a diagram could be found for that motor which would lead you to the function of each of the wires you mentioned. The tread mill motor may be a bit over kill but the good news is that all you have to do is find the right sized gear configuration in order to get the speed that you desire. My guess would be that you will want a fairly slow speed.
If your motor is variable speed then maybe a simple potentiometer switch my work.
Good luck and keep us posted with your success and maybe some pictures.

I was going to start my own home-made tumbler project but lucked out for my bday this month and got the MidwayUSA Arsenal tumbler, media, polish, and seperator package for $65 so I figured Id save the time for more reloading...

Thanks guys,I have had fun building the tumbler.

Yes,I did end up with a drawing of the mptor and wiring.The two blue wires went to a board thats it.So I know the boards told the motor to what speed it should run for the person useing it.

Yes,I think a switch should work but wanted to make sure.I have a friend that ( might ) be able to help.Just thought that I would give you guys a try first.

waste knot thanks for the web site I just might go that way