• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Making a Holster out of Kydex

deadly0311

Tacticool Ninja
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2009
Birmingham, AL
While im having trouble finding a Kydex holster for a Sig 226 with a Light attached. I thought of getting a few sheets of Kydex and making my own. My questions are these:

-How thick do i need to make it? (I want to use it as a carry holster and also run it at a match of two)
-What kind of rivets do i need to attach the "front" and "back" pieces together, and how many to securely do it?
- I want to be able to use it as a "paddle" and possibly a drop leg (similar to the Serpa concept of removing a couple screws and being able to put it on different carry platforms)
-At what temp do i need to stay around to get the Kydex to mold and not lose its strength and thickness?
-Also for the "retention" part, what would be the best way of keeping the pistol secure?

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry for the bit of a long winded post.

Austin

Re: Making a Holster out of Kydex

There are all kind of tutorials out there. A bunch of videos on Youtube as well, hope that helps.
smile.gif

Kydex holster tutorial

Youtube video

they say a heat gun is needed as well as just heating it in the oven ... the heatgun is a more localized heat and you can mold the kydex better that way. You can get a cheap heat gun at Northern or Harbor Freight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
-How thick do i need to make it? (I want to use it as a carry holster and also run it at a match of two)
-What kind of rivets do i need to attach the "front" and "back" pieces together, and how many to securely do it?
- I want to be able to use it as a "paddle" and possibly a drop leg (similar to the Serpa concept of removing a couple screws and being able to put it on different carry platforms)
-At what temp do i need to stay around to get the Kydex to mold and not lose its strength and thickness?
-Also for the "retention" part, what would be the best way of keeping the pistol secure?
Austin </div></div>

- I would use the .093 thickness if your going OWB, .06 if your going IWB

- Rapid Rivets or Quick Rivets do the job just fine and don't require and specific tools. One every 1.5 - 2" or so should do it. If you get them too long, you can cut them down.

- ok - you'll have to work that out on your own.

- Run the oven up to 275-300 F and set it in for ~5 mins. Take it out and see if it flops around like a piece of thin leather. If not, stick it back in. Kydex doesn't start to break down until 500 F (or so I'm told). If it doesn't work out the first time, stick it back in the oven and it will go back to flat.

- Kydex forms to fit, so if you need more retention make the indent in the trigger guard and around the ejection port deeper. If you want some sort of locking mechanism you're on your own.