• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Making the Most of 200 yards

elmuzzlebreak

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2018
apart from dot drills what’s the best way to train on a 200 yard range for PRS type matches. Any input is appreciated.

Make 1MOA and 2MOA size cirlces on an index card or target and practice shooting off barricades and holding steady and keeping your shots inside the circle. anything outside the circle is a miss

let's you practice getting into solid positions and breaking clean shots. only thing it doesn't help you with is wind.

time yourself if possible. put a little "on the clock" pressure into your training. helps me

Sorry, couldn’t help myself. ?

Here I am in the year 2019 when he's training in 3019.

Make 1MOA and 2MOA size cirlces on an index card or target and practice shooting off barricades and holding steady and keeping your shots inside the circle. anything outside the circle is a miss

let's you practice getting into solid positions and breaking clean shots. only thing it doesn't help you with is wind.

time yourself if possible. put a little "on the clock" pressure into your training. helps me
Sounds good I will start this. Thanks!

There are some weak points to the concept; but IMHO, the 22 rimfire can emulate ballistic performances at short distances that closely resemble performances of larger chamberings at their extreme distances.

One of the drawbacks is that the conventional rimfire trajectory always involves a transsonic excursion early along the extended trajectory.

In practical terms, this can magnify the benefit to be obtained from shooting shorter venues; making useful practice a lot less of a trek than trying to achieve such results on a full scale basis.

In the 1990's our club in Central NY experimented with .224 bores and centerfire cartridges employing much diminished (Unique) powder charges. The overall takeaway was that all we were achieving was the reinvention of the wheel; and that the .22LR was a far more simple and elegant solution to the overall question.

One thing we didn't try was using the .22 Short, which need not ever exceed sonic speed.

Greg

Last edited:
We have steel targets that will hold up at 200 yards.
Give us a shout and I’ll get you taken care of.

apart from dot drills what’s the best way to train on a 200 yard range for PRS type matches. Any input is appreciated.

I do most of my practice at 200 yards using one of these targets. Shoot from a barricade or a folding ladder, whatever you have so that you can practice positional shooting from multiple heights. I just shoot the upper tip of the target, trying to keep bullet impacts off the bottom half of the stem. I don't shoot the larger lower half unless I'm practicing standing/kneeling/seating positional, and admittedly my hit percentage is not great.

The top is small enough to be challenging (1 MOA at 200 yards), narrow enough that you'll have to hold wind if it's blowing.

I use their keylock mounting system on a t-post.

JC Steel makes great products as well, check out their options on rubber strap hangers.

Reactions: elmuzzlebreak
IMHO, the 22 rimfire can emulate ballistic performances at short distances that closely resemble performances of larger chamberings at their extreme distances.

One of the drawbacks is that the conventional rimfire trajectory always involves a transsonic excursion early along the extended trajectory.

There are many choices of 22lr match ammo that are subsonic ... Eley, Lapua, RWS, Federal Ultra Match, etc

There are many choices of 22lr match ammo that are subsonic ... Eley, Lapua, RWS, Federal Ultra Match, etc

Eley subsonic is absolutely fantastic out of my 10/22T. Thumps rabbits like crazy!

POP-THUMP!!
IMG_20190504_1327319.jpg

Great advice and what I do at 100/200y ranges. Start with 2 moa targets and do timed positional shooting drills. That will directly apply to better PRS shooting at longer ranges.