• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Malware warning?

Re: Malware warning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't help you...

The site is clean, I don't care what your browser says, go off on your own and check the site for yourself. https://www.stopbadware.org

There are plenty of resources to do so, none show a thing... it's you, not us.

I'm not going to continue and say the same thing over and over, there are ton of people on here right now NOT getting a warning, that should be a clue </div></div>

I get the same warnings every time (and only on this site) but will do you a favor and won't bother posting about it anymore since you've made it very clear you don't care what my browser says. I thought addressing this was helping out but it was obviously just pizzing you off.....sorry for the run-around and hope you don't end up with any issues as a result.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2112</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
On Windows:

1. Exit Firefox completely - there should be no Firefox browsers running
2. Do a windows search and search for the file name <span style="font-weight: bold">urlclassifier3.sqlite</span>, make sure the option to search on hidden files is selected
3. Delete any of the urlclassifier3.sqlite files
4. Do the same search for <span style="font-weight: bold">urlclassifier2.sqlite</span>
5. Restart Firefox

I copied and pasted these into my windows search and nothing was found. I suspect it is because I don't know how to to turn on the option to search for hidden files. Can you help me on that?

Thanks
</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Can't help you...

The site is clean, I don't care what your browser says, go off on your own and check the site for yourself. https://www.stopbadware.org

There are plenty of resources to do so, none show a thing... it's you, not us.

I'm not going to continue and say the same thing over and over, there are ton of people on here right now NOT getting a warning, that should be a clue

</div></div>

Um, I was asking if you knew what I need to do to turn on the option for finding hidden files so I can fix my computer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: -2112-</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Um, I was asking if you knew what I need to do to turn on the option for finding hidden files so I can fix my computer.</div></div>

Depending on your version of windows - you can do one of the following:

1. Right Click on something simple like the Start Menu; select "Explore all users", which will start the Windows Explorer filesystem browser. Click on "Tools", click on "Folder Options", at the top of the new pop-up click on the tab labeled "View":

Set the Radio button to "Show hidden files and folders"
Turn off the checkbox on "Hide Extentions for known file types"
Turn off the checkbox on "Hide protected operating system files".

2. Right Click on the Windows Button in the bottom right of your screen - select "Open Windows Explorer", in the upper left click on the "Organize" button - click on "Folder and Search Options", at the top of the new pop-up click on the tab labeled "View": ( now it's the same as above )

Set the Radio button to "Show hidden files and folders"
Turn off the checkbox on "Hide Extentions for known file types"
Turn off the checkbox on "Hide protected operating system files".

BTW - None of this may be needed; here's why.

I'm on Windows XP with Firefox 17.0.1 - I got the Malware Warning page when I came to the Hide tonight. I clicked on details and it said this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
What is the current listing status for www.snipershide.com?

This site is not currently listed as suspicious.

Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 3 time(s) over the past 90 days.

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 541 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 11 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2013-01-01, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2012-12-27...
</div></div>

So in effect - the "Warning Malware" page was saying - there is no Malware since 12/27/2012 - but in the past 90 days it's been a problem 3 times.

I close the window - opened snipershide.com again - this time just said "IGNORE" the warning. At the top of the page - Firefox showed a couple button - 1 saying "This is not an attack site" - I clicked on it... it took me to the "stopbadware" website... which also showed there were no current problems with the Hide.

I returned to my Snipershide window - and voila! The attack warning buttons were gone from the top of the screen - and I haven't seen them since.

-Michael

One additional tip for Mac OSX users, in order to find the directory that Lowlight mentions you need to enable the ability to see hidden system files. Plenty of places on the web describe various methods for doing so. Find the file(2) Lowlight mentioned delete them and it's good to go.

It's interesting that the malware programs have no problems detecting bad sites but evidently are unable to clear their catches once the problem is fixed.

I still get it. Even after clearing cache and checking for the urlclassifier file. I'm not worried about it, it's just annoying as it usually happens at the most inopportune times. Such as when click submit, or when I click on sub forums. It's about 50/50 when I come here from my homepage.

Is there something different that needs done for Windows 7 users? I followed the instructions to the letter and I'm still getting the same warning, but even when I hit "ignore warning" it pops up still every 7-8 screens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there something different that needs done for Windows 7 users? I followed the instructions to the letter and I'm still getting the same warning, but even when I hit "ignore warning" it pops up still every 7-8 screens. </div></div>

Me too. I have run tdsskiller, mini toolbox, malwarebites, symantec, ccleaner, and all the advice here and it is still here every time I go to the forum.

Unfortunately I don't use Windows, But I found this for Firefox

Step 1
Open Firefox.

Step 2
Click "Tools," then click "Options."

Step 3
Click on the "Security" tab.

Step 4
Uncheck the "Block reported attack sites" option, then click "OK."

I found one other post from a site that got on XMAS eve also

To resolve the problem, you can perform one of the following three options:

Confirmed fix: Back up your bookmarks, and then delete your Firefox profile. On Windows 7 (at least), you can find your profile directory by typing "about:cache" into your URL bar. You may need to enable the ability for windows to see hidden files and folders. Note the location of your profile directory, shut down Firefox, then delete the entire profile. Restart your computer and the problem will be fixed.

Confirmed fix: Upgrade to Firefox 18. It will be officially released on January 8 but the current beta version should be acceptable for general use. You can download the latest version from: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/beta/

Unconfirmed fix: Reduce the setting "urlclassifier.confirm-age" to 0 in about:config. This should consider cached results to be considered invalid immediately. Type "about:config" in your URL location bar and adjust the setting from there.

Thanks Frank. I'll try it and see how it works.