• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge 2020 Discussion

By the end of the event, my partner and I kept looking at each saying we wished we've had both taken scoped AR-15's with 90rds of 77gr match ammo. At Ft. Gordon half the ranges are Army qual ranges that stay under 400 yards ish for targets. If I ever do it again, it'll be with an AR-15 and super lightweight.

By the end of the event, my partner and I kept looking at each saying we wished we've had both taken scoped AR-15's with 90rds of 77gr match ammo. At Ft. Gordon half the ranges are Army qual ranges that stay under 400 yards ish for targets. If I ever do it again, it'll be with an AR-15 and super lightweight.
That is certainly a valid approach. Lightness means easier rucking. But keep in mind you don't get points for rucking. You DO get points for hitting targets. You're probably right - 80%+ of the secondary targets, and 50%+ of the primary targets are easy hits for a good .223 with a good wind call. But what about the other ones?

Hot handloads on a 223 bolt gun are the way to go for secondary. If you don’t have that option you basically need to decide if you want to trade wind for weight.

@swhiteh3
We timed out on the last ruck of the second day. For us it was about the challenge and not so much the score. When we timed out, we honestly didn't care less about the actual score and were more disappointed that we didn't get to continue and complete the tough man division challenge. We could have continued on the last half day, but since we knew we were out of it we just figured we may as well get a head start on the drive home. I'm only laying all that out to say we still beat a lot of people on score without showing up for the last day. I don't think our score would have been too much worse had we only been running AR's. In fairness though, I didn't think the winds were bad at all on the 2020 mammoth. If it was raining sideways I'd be hating a 223 at any distance.

Reactions: swhiteh3