• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge - January 6-8, 2012

Re: Mammoth Sniper Challenge - January 6-8, 2012

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are people really bitching about calibers in the "tough man" division? What's the point of tough man if not to make it difficult? Shoot a 308 or a 223. 300WM? That's a joke in a tough man division.

Amazing. </div></div>

Then to add to the toughness everyone should shoot .223 and secondary weapons should be .223 as well open sighted. Not everyone shoots military caliber. I shoot calibers I hunt with 6mm, 7mm and .338. Maybe segregate the military and open in the toughman as well??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are people really bitching about calibers in the "tough man" division? What's the point of tough man if not to make it difficult? Shoot a 308 or a 223. 300WM? That's a joke in a tough man division.

Amazing. </div></div>

Then to add to the toughness everyone should shoot .223 and secondary weapons should be .223 as well open sighted. Not everyone shoots military caliber. I shoot calibers I hunt with 6mm, 7mm and .338. Maybe segregate the military and open in the toughman as well?? </div></div>Instead of arguing about calibers read the post two above yours made by the match director. Joe has stated he is considering other calibers. If you don't shoot military calibers then send him an e-mail and make it known you would like to shoot the division but caliber restrictions won't allow. Feedback is what is needed. For the record I don't own a .308 or a 300WM but I agree with Mike. The original idea for the tough man division was based on the military. The REAL tough men so to speak.

From what I understand we have to have 25 shooters for the individual side of the Match for it to count for the PRSS. Is this correct Joe?

How many are going to do this. Lets see some names...

I look forward to trying this match again. I have 2 entries for the individual match.

Mick

i can't commit at the moment, but am tentatively in for individual

Count me in. I don't think my skinny family members are up for the cold again.

Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are people really bitching about calibers in the "tough man" division? What's the point of tough man if not to make it difficult? Shoot a 308 or a 223. 300WM? That's a joke in a tough man division.

Amazing. </div></div>

Then to add to the toughness everyone should shoot .223 and secondary weapons should be .223 as well open sighted. Not everyone shoots military caliber. I shoot calibers I hunt with 6mm, 7mm and .338. Maybe segregate the military and open in the toughman as well?? </div></div>Instead of arguing about calibers read the post two above yours made by the match director. Joe has stated he is considering other calibers. If you don't shoot military calibers then send him an e-mail and make it known you would like to shoot the division but caliber restrictions won't allow. Feedback is what is needed. For the record I don't own a .308 or a 300WM but I agree with Mike. The original idea for the tough man division was based on the military. The REAL tough men so to speak. </div></div>

Wasn't really arguing, more the fact of some people like shooting in tough situations and see no reason to shoot a military caliber. I emailed Joe, and hope he considers opening it up. I would like to do the challenge.

Okay, I registered on the forum so I could come ask about this match. I'm a three-gun guy, no experience with this sort of thing. However, I want to learn more about shooting at distance, and RockCastle is both close to me and one of the best shooting match facilities planet, so I'm seriously considering giving this match a try. I would definitely only be a "secondary" shooter... I mainly have some gear questions:

Out to 600 yards, how essential are "ranging" type reticules and target turrets (and the know-how to make them work)? I have a really nice scope for my .308, but it doesn't have the tacticool stuff, and I wouldn't know what to do with them it did. I've been shooting an Eotech out to about 400 yards "on the clock".. I have no match-fu for sniper stuff. I suppose I could pick up and learn a different scope if I needed to, but as a secondary shooter, do I really need to, or would I be better served buying ammo and practicing more? Any input would be appreciated, I'd like to find a 1,000y shooter to pair up with and give this match a go.

DanO

Buy Ammo, and practice. If your a new shooter or just a good guy period people will always help you at these kind of matches.

To DCCXloudy777 Joe may do his LD class in the spring like last year. I he does you should take it. You will need to learn milling to get range to target and how to make a range card. You may need to mill beyond 600 yards but they will have range finders at some of the stages. I have a Vortex 6.5x24x50 that I use, it is mil/mil. I hope this is helpful

This is bout a 15hr drive for me, but i just cant pass it up (granted I have the extra $$ when registration opens).

1 question I have, if I cant find a partner will one be appointed to me, or would I only be able to shoot the individual portion of the match?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCloudy777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, I registered on the forum so I could come ask about this match. I'm a three-gun guy, no experience with this sort of thing. However, I want to learn more about shooting at distance, and RockCastle is both close to me and one of the best shooting match facilities planet, so I'm seriously considering giving this match a try. I would definitely only be a "secondary" shooter... I mainly have some gear questions:

Out to 600 yards, how essential are "ranging" type reticules and target turrets (and the know-how to make them work)? I have a really nice scope for my .308, but it doesn't have the tacticool stuff, and I wouldn't know what to do with them it did. I've been shooting an Eotech out to about 400 yards "on the clock".. I have no match-fu for sniper stuff. I suppose I could pick up and learn a different scope if I needed to, but as a secondary shooter, do I really need to, or would I be better served buying ammo and practicing more? Any input would be appreciated, I'd like to find a 1,000y shooter to pair up with and give this match a go.

DanO</div></div>

Dan, its a slightly different game vs 3-gun rifle but you can definitely compete w/your level of experience. Sounds like you might need a slight upgrade in optic features. PM sent to facilitate further discussion.

David Tapp

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DCloudy777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, I registered on the forum so I could come ask about this match. I'm a three-gun guy, no experience with this sort of thing. However, I want to learn more about shooting at distance, and RockCastle is both close to me and one of the best shooting match facilities planet, so I'm seriously considering giving this match a try. I would definitely only be a "secondary" shooter... I mainly have some gear questions:

DanO </div></div>

Where at in middle Tennessee

Never mind... Just bought a Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-12X on closeout from Midway. Now to decide whether to mount it on the bolt gun or the auto...

DanO

Forget my last question, talked my buddy into getting a rifle today. Gotta gets us both some est loads and start preparing, looks like we will be making the trip from Long Island NY for this one!

The website wil be updated soon.

I am going to lift the caliber restriction for the primary weapon in the tough man division. I want everyone that wants to shoot it to have a chance to compete in it. The secondary will stay the same at .308 or .223 in the tough man division.

Also, I have set the individual entry amount at $225.00 for the match.

Registration starts Thursday the 15th. Hope to see everyone there.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at [email protected] I try to check this site daily but sometimes I don't have a chance.

Todd, I would love to use the trucks again. They came in real handy.

$225 is WAY better than $400 for the individual match!

Thanks for the update Joe.

Slightly diss appointed to hear that the Tough Man is open to all calibers now. I enjoy the stress that a level playing field adds.

Any chance of having a singles division in the Tough Man, so that they can be counted in the points race?

So how many teams/single shooters are there going to be.

Is it 60 teams or 120 individuals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Slightly diss appointed to hear that the Tough Man is open to all calibers now. I enjoy the stress that a level playing field adds.

Any chance of having a singles division in the Tough Man, so that they can be counted in the points race?

</div></div>

Let's not forget that Joe has a very tough job as it stands. He is already incorporating an individual match into a multiple class team match. Besides, in my opinion multiple points series classes would defeat the purpose of the series which is to allow us all to see how we ALL stack up against each other.

if tough MAN was in fact a 1 Man (singular)

I don't see why it couldn't be lumped in the individual class, just saying, if individuals decided to hump it across the course wouldn't they be eligible for Tough Man Cash? perhaps this division should be individual, this would accommodate all those who wanted to be a tough MAN and individual Man, thus a great Series event too. just a thought, your call.

I would love to incorporate the individual into the tough man. Only thing is the scoring. Individuals are only scored on the primary targets where the teams are scored for both weapons.

Someone can run the tough man division individual but they would have to shoot both guns and hump all the shit for both guns.

If someone really wanted to do the tough man as an individial and try to win the cash along with getting the points for the series then it can be done. The individual would only be scored on primary targets for the points series and scored on both primary and secondary for the tough man.

One last plea!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1b375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to incorporate the individual into the tough man.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Tough Man Team Division</span>

If you're looking for an extra challenge, this is it. Competitors in the Tough Man Team Division will compete on the same stages as the Regular Team Division competitors but will be subject to these additional rules:

Must walk the the entire match. Estimated distances are between 1.5 and 3.5 miles between stages and you will be given 20 minutes per mile to cover the distance.
Must carry all gear needed to complete the stages for the day. This includes everything you need to compete including weapons, ammunition, food, water, maintenance items, etc.
<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">Can not ask for anything from another competitor or ask for any help during the course of the match</span></span> </div></div> this really is what makes it a great <span style="text-decoration: underline">individual</span> tough MAN division

Gee whiz guys, the match can't be all things to all people. Joe is bending over backward to make this thing work for as many folks as possible.

If you want to shoot the individual category for the series points, do it. If you want to shoot the tough man division, find a partner and do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want to shoot the individual category for the series points, do it. If you want to shoot the tough man division, find a partner and do it. </div></div>

Or, Like Joe said earlier... An individual can compete in the tough man team if he carries both guns and all the gear..

Agree with the rules or move along.... Never will 100 people ever agree on a set of rules

Its joes show. I will accept whatever he decides...but no teams in the tough man and every individual having to carry both weapons would be bad ass! THAT would be tough.

That said, all individual courses of fire need to be the same if it is to be part of the series.

If someone wants the cash, cool. If someone wants the points, cool. But the two really can't be intermingled...yeah, im pretty sure I just made up a word.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its joes show. I will accept whatever he decides...</div></div>
Agreed just getting over excited excuse me.

Ok guys here is the deal. Mike is redoing the website once again as I type. We have redone it a couple of times to try and accomodate everyone.

We are going back to the original idea of a team event just like the original plan. If an individual wants to run the tough man by himself and wins I will personally add $500.00 to the $2500.00 making it $3000.00. All the info for this will be on the website shortly.

For the teams not shooting the tough man nothing has changed.

This is not going to be a part of the PRSS. They decided today that they only want individual competitions. I have no dog in that fight, it was there decision. We were just trying to accomodate them by adding an individual portion.

Sorry for all the changes but it was out of my hands. So lets get back on track and have a great team match and see who can win the money. I would really like to hand out another $500.00 if someone can pull off the tough man division alone.

The applications should be up very soon when Mike gets the website updated.

We have some awesome sponsors on board and will updating the website with all of them in the next week or two. We are going to give away some nice hand made trophies to the top 3 teams.

I'm glad the match is going back to the original format.

I really admire the hard work that Rich and his group are doing to put the point series together. That said, it would be unfortunate for matches to compromise their personality in order to conform and be included in the series.

The Mammoth Sniper Challenge is a very fun match (IMHO)with a team format. The second match was better than the first b/c Joe implemented lessons learned. I'm sure the 3rd match will be better and more fun than the first and second.

I'm looking forward to bundling up, hiking around and shooting in January at Rockcastle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm glad the match is going back to the original format.

I really admire the hard work that Rich and his group are doing to put the point series together. That said, it would be unfortunate for matches to compromise their personality in order to conform and be included in the series.

The Mammoth Sniper Challenge is a very fun match (IMHO)with a team format. The second match was better than the first b/c Joe implemented lessons learned. I'm sure the 3rd match will be better and more fun than the first and second.

I'm looking forward to bundling up, hiking around and shooting in January at Rockcastle. </div></div>

Meh I liked the idea of Solo for the winter, Team for the Summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Meh I liked the idea of Solo for the winter, Team for the Summer. </div></div>

Same here...

Finally ! Someone said it. Some of the potential shooters may be happier sitting home drinking hot chocolate.

The tough man division is shaping up nicely. We have a 50/50 split on regular teams to tough man teams so far with registrations.

Who is shooting this match and doesnt have a partner and is willing to get together and do some shooting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who is shooting this match and doesnt have a partner and is willing to get together and do some shooting? </div></div>
I am planning on shooting "secondary" in this match, but I'm totally new to this type of competition (Three-gun shooter). I'm only about 2.5 hours from Rockcastle, I could conceivably make a trip or two for practice sessions.

DanO

Okay guys, after some long hard consideration we are gonna make this a once a year match. I have taken in a lot of input from shooters and also from the guys that help me on this.

This match is designed to be a challenge and we are gonna continue to make adjustments on the match from feedback of the shooters. We have the luxury of using Rockcastle Shooting Center for this match and want to keep the match there for the convenience and terrain they offer.

The match will continue to be in January every year from now on. I feel that there are a lot of quality matches around the country and we want everyone to shoot as many different matches as possible.

I have talked with a lot of the sponsors and they are very happy that we are going to once a year. We are getting sponsors everyday for the match and it is shaping up very nicely.

Yes weather is a factor in January but hey this is a Sniper Challenge. The lodging is cheaper during the winter so you don't have to come out of pocket as much. Travel is cheaper in January also.

I hope to see everyone there in January. The match is gonna be a blast. We are working on some fun and challenging stages.

We still have some slots left but they are going fast. Check out the website
Mammothsniperchallenge.com

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask or call me. I am actually headed to Vegas for the Nationals with my daughter but will try and answer any questions at night when we get back to the hotel.

Anyone heard exactly how much "Foot Travel" involved in this thing? Gotta get my fat rear moving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone heard exactly how much "Foot Travel" involved in this thing? Gotta get my fat rear moving. </div></div>
The longest single movement will be about 3.5 miles but it's the only one that long. The rest are about half that or less.

Dont worry to much Jon, I'm sure Clark will give you a piggy back ride if need be.

Ronnie

I'm thinking of making the trek out for this shoot from the west coast of Canada. I like the sound of it. Especially the Ironman division. Is it better to fly in to Nashville or Louisville?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking of making the trek out for this shoot from the west coast of Canada. I like the sound of it. Especially the Ironman division. Is it better to fly in to Nashville or Louisville?</div></div>

Either Nashville or Louisville will work. I'd fly into the one you can find the best fare to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking of making the trek out for this shoot from the west coast of Canada. I like the sound of it. Especially the Ironman division. Is it better to fly in to Nashville or Louisville?</div></div>

Either Nashville or Louisville will work. I'd fly into the one you can find the best fare to. </div></div>Nashville is definitely the closer of the two.

Thanks guys. Nashville seems to be a better flight connection.

How cold does it get there at that time of year? freezing? Well below freezing? Does it rain much? I like it real cold instead of rainy personally. We get some pretty nasty weather here at that time of year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks guys. Nashville seems to be a better flight connection.

How cold does it get there at that time of year? freezing? Well below freezing? Does it rain much? I like it real cold instead of rainy personally. We get some pretty nasty weather here at that time of year. </div></div>

Plan on cold cold snow to be safe.

Glad to announce that JP Enterprises has come on as the match sponsor. They will be giving away 2 of their long range rifles as prizes.

We couldn't ask for a better sponsor.

Last winter my camelback hose was frozen solid the entire time! It was pretty cold down there, but I'll be back for more.

I live 30 miles from the match. It might be -5. It might be 65. There is no way to know until maybe the week before. Maybe the day before.

Yep the weather here is ridiculous at best. I have a feeling its going to be very wet and 50's probably high winds. Last year was the year of the snow.

Its unfair to allow all calibers in the tough man. It should be military calibers only as originally concepted. I know this decision has been made, but it puts us with military-real-world-grade rifles at disadvantage to those who like to spend $$$$ on 7WSM and such.
Tough Man should be just that, not catered to those to like to game these events.

This is a disappointing decision.

In my opinion Nashville. Airport is easier to navigate and just a more e joy able drive.