• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mammoth Sniper Challenge - Park City, KY

Re: Mammoth Sniper Challenge - Park City, KY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... The tobacco barn only had one diamond. It was an 8" square turned as a diamond. When ranging the target that was 1/2 as far and then that one, if you only came up with 100 yards more then it would throw up a red flag. Eye expediant ranging would tell you it was a lot more than 100 yards further. Some caught it and some didn't.... </div></div>

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but did you just admit that the information given to the shooters was false, and that we were somehow supposed to know to disregard that information because it didn't make sense?

Thanks,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but did you just admit that the information given to the shooters was false, and that we were somehow supposed to know to disregard that information because it didn't make sense?

Thanks,

Bill </div></div>What I'm saying is I noticed when ranging that target that it didn't make sense. The target was given in the briefing as an 8" diamond. It was not specified tip to tip or along it's edge. I have no idea if it was built into the stage because I had nothing to do with that part of it. Either way the dimension could be used to range the target and the dimension was correct. Therefore I wouldn't say that any information should be disregarded. Some just assumed the dimension was tip to tip. Others realized it was along the edge. Bottom line, if it doesn't make sense on your range card then something is wrong. Disregarding the info would give you nothing to go on. Using the info given was enough to get a proper range. No "false" info was given.

Good grief....Lot of whining from some grown men over a 8" target, lol.

I hit it, so it could not be that difficult
grin.gif

If it's an 8" square turned on it's side to look like a diamond isn't that different than saying it is an 8" diamond ? Oh course people will range point to point when described as a diamond as opposed to a square. Making the competitor think is one thing, giving them false information is something else. What are you redefining what a diamond is now...

One tells you the exact size the other implies something completely different, which, it's up to the match director to understand ranging, and it's use and limitations. There is a reason they make charts with the sizes of objectives, not a person, so when you can't range the person, you can range other things. Not to mention in the military you have a map and compass which will give you an idea in the field where things are located. Ranging with a reticle is not necessarily a standalone method, which I understand the visual method, but there are also other factors. Most sniper don't set up in the middle of the woods for no reason.. unless of course it is a direct route. However a smart sniper would use a stream crossing, or some other choke point. Intersection, opposite end of a field opening, something to give you, as the sniper an advantage. Granted you can't account for everything, but you try to set up your mission in a way you have the upper hand, it's why you are given the autonomy sniper are given. You are expected to know how best to maximize your effectiveness.

If you're gonna play sniper, understand what a sniper does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmarc69</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The target was given in the briefing as an 8" diamond. It was not specified tip to tip or along it's edge.... Some just assumed the dimension was tip to tip. Others realized it was along the edge.... </div></div>

That's what I wanted to know - thank you.

+1 on Lowlight's post.

Bill

600+ post tells me it's all bullshit.
I knew I milled that diamond right.... For 8 inches not 12 or whatever it comes to.
Think outside the box, ya that's retarded!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dust_Remover</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... I like the trick pulled with the diamond targets, and having to think outside the box and remember some good 'ol high school level math to get the correct measurements....</div></div>Tricks don't make a match. Tricks can be fun, when they teach, but are never a substitute for good grounding in the discipline. That's one reason why Hemingway teaches better and is easier to read than Margaret Atwood: Being clever and having experience in the subject matter are two different things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caver101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good grief....Lot of whining from some grown men over a 8" target, lol.

grin.gif
</div></div>

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triton19</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: caver101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good grief....Lot of whining from some grown men over a 8" target, lol.

grin.gif
</div></div>

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then. </div></div>

Don't be a hater
cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triton19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not a hater so dont take it that way.

Jason </div></div>

It takes a lot more than that to get my panties in a bunch
grin.gif

-Jason (the better looking one
laugh.gif
)

Look me up if you ever do a match down here. we'll hit up the local talent for a call on that.
laugh.gif

I actually asked at every stage, and he said it was an 8" sguare turned sideways, I turned my gun at a 45 and ranged it and hit it, if I remember right it was around 450-475 yards.

The hide stage was the only one that said the diamonds were point to point dimensions.

This thread is like the Energizer Bunny it keeps going and going and going..............

It was the first match there of this type, not their first, I would assume with this many posts Joe is keeping an eye on this and will make some changes for the next one.

I think all the steel was laying flat or it was an optical illusion and there were no targets because I shot a lot and hit little!!!!

Mick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mick265</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread is like the Energizer Bunny it keeps going and going and going..............</div></div>

I think it's Great, Everyone trien to figure out why they Sucked
smile.gif

I hope joe doesnt change a thing.

It was a challenge not a walk in the park. A challenge is not only about your equipment but your mentallity towards it.

If you got frazzled, I bet you didnt hit much. Thats what its for, its designed to push you and make you better. Who gets better shooting at targets that constantly have berms behind them. It makes you learn and know your rifle better than before. Im sure there was a ton of good shooters there, the only thing is if you want to be a good shooter and win that competition you better know your rifle and the spotter better know what to do in that 2 minutes of shooting you have.

I hope joe is reading and makes it harder. So you all go home with half the hits you did last time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope joe doesnt change a thing.

It was a challenge not a walk in the park. A challenge is not only about your equipment but your mentallity towards it.

If you got frazzled, I bet you didnt hit much. Thats what its for, its designed to push you and make you better. Who gets better shooting at targets that constantly have berms behind them. It makes you learn and know your rifle better than before. Im sure there was a ton of good shooters there, the only thing is if you want to be a good shooter and win that competition you better know your rifle and the spotter better know what to do in that 2 minutes of shooting you have.

I hope joe is reading and makes it harder. So you all go home with half the hits you did last time. </div></div>

ha, ha, lol, yea me too. Also I hope the weather gets colder and they give away no prizes, just so the 'real' shooters show up.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope joe doesnt change a thing.

I hope joe is reading and makes it harder. So you all go home with half the hits you did last time. </div></div>

ha, ha, lol, yea me too. Also I hope the weather gets colder and they give away no prizes, just so the 'real' shooters show up.
wink.gif
</div></div>

It is ky, wait a few minutes.

I shot the match and there are a couple of things that need to be changed to make it even across the board. The cof was fine, yes it was a challenge and that's what he said it would be, don't have a problem with that.

Mick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triton19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look me up if you ever do a match down here. we'll hit up the local talent for a call on that.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

If they like bald fat guys you don't even have a chance......

Has anyone heard yet, about the next match in June?

Details will be out by Monday. We have been working out the details so it can be understood by everyone.

Match dates are July 8th-10th.

First,i could be wrong but i believe that the match director was not only a sniper in the military, he went on to become an instructor. Second, if your looking for a match to be exactly what you would find under combat conditions then maybe you should go to combat to find it. With the exception of military/LE only events, the large majority of participants are civilian shooters who are out to test there skills and have a good time, not get themselves mission ready for overseas. Im sure that your name is at the top of the list for the sniper event held at FT. Benning.