• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Man contracts brucellosis from feral hogs

ChadTRG42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas
www.dallasreloads.com
This disease doesn't sound too pleasant, so I figured I'd pass it on.

Link Here

...about 10 percent of Texas feral hogs test positive for brucellosis bacteria, but the rate in eastern parts of the state (Texas) has been known to be higher.

...brucellosis can cause flulike symptoms such as fever, chills, aching muscles, intense joint pain, nausea and fatigue.

Re: Man contracts brucellosis from feral hogs

That's just another reason why you Texans should be practicing safe sex.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's just another reason why you Texans should be practicing safe sex. </div></div>

I just spit coffee on my keyboard!

I wonder if this is the same stuff my buddy was telling me about? He mentioned the pigs up in the Sutter Buttes have some kind of bacteria.

-Pat

anyone remember the ANTHRAX scare several years back......the origins of THAT particular strain came from a pig harvested just south of Dallas......Gov't took the 1/2 left in the freezer and weaponized the resulting strain.

Bad news for Texas Cattle Producers. Save a Cow, Kill a Hog.

Brucellosis of cattle, also known as "contagious abortion" and "Bangs disease", is caused by infection with the bacterium Brucella abortus, which can also cause a disease of humans known as "undulant fever". Brucellosis infection of cattle causes abortion or premature calving of recently infected animals, most often between the fifth and eight month of pregancy. Although federal and state regulations have helped to control this disease, there is still a threat. Infected cows frequently suffer from retained afterbirth, are difficult to get rebred and sometimes become sterile.

Brucellosis is spread from the vaginal discharge of an infected cow or from an aborted fetus. The organism has an affinity for the reproductive tract and abortions, retained placenta, weak calves and infertility frequently occur. Breeding bulls which are infected, can transmit the disease to cows at the time of service by infected semen. Milk produced front an infected cow may also harbor the organism. The infected milk creates a public health hazard as this is the organism that causes undulant fever in humans.

There is no treatment for Brucellosis. Prevention of Brucellosis is accomplished by official calfhood vaccination of heifer calves. Vaccination must be done by an accredited veterinarian at calf ages that vary from two to four months using standard dosage vaccine, or from 4 to 12 months using reduced dosage vaccine. Each calf must be identified as officially vaccinated in compliance with state and federal regulations. Quarantines are imposed on infected herds by state and federal authorities until the herd has been proven free of the disease.

How is brucellosis transmitted to humans, and who is likely to become infected?

Humans are generally infected in one of three ways: eating or drinking something that is contaminated with Brucella, breathing in the organism (inhalation), or having the bacteria enter the body through skin wounds. The most common way to be infected is by eating or drinking contaminated milk products. When sheep, goats, cows, or camels are infected, their milk is contaminated with the bacteria. If the milk is not pasteurized, these bacteria can be transmitted to persons who drink the milk or eat cheeses made it. Inhalation of Brucella organisms is not a common route of infection, but it can be a significant hazard for people in certain occupations, such as those working in laboratories where the organism is cultured. Inhalation is often responsible for a significant percentage of cases in abattoir employees. Contamination of skin wounds may be a problem for persons working in slaughterhouses or meat packing plants or for veterinarians. Hunters may be infected through skin wounds or by accidentally ingesting the bacteria after cleaning deer, elk, moose, or wild pigs that they have killed.

Put some Louisiana Hot Sauce on it and it'll be OK

i have heard of sevral cases in SC also... basicly what i have read is the meat itself is fine. you contract the diesiese when you come in contact with the reperductive organs or an aborted fetus or fluids. i used to think they were for nancys but there is a box of gloves in my bunk at the cabin now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's just another reason why you Texans should be practicing safe sex. </div></div>

fuck off, thats ppl from alabama. ill post a pic to prove when i find it haha

i read the article in the houston paper about it, pretty scary if you ask me. im gonna show it to all my buddies so i dont feel like a girl when i break out the latex gloves next time we clean a piggie

That's why I inject my pork with bourbon....no worries.

"Yeah but bacon tastes good, pork chops taste good."

They've had signs up all over at the check-in stations down here for a couple years now. Still people dressing hogs without gloves or whatever. I havent heard of anyone catching it yet though.

There is a fair amount of it here in the Lowcountry of SC makes the raw meat taste a little sweeter than usual. JK they say its pretty serious stuff and I guess I should carry gloves.

Centers around the Bell Baruch labs on Winyah bay.

good thing i dont hunt hogs.. not that there are any in PA to hunt

Had a close friend contract it from a hog as well its a nasty sickness thats for sure he was in pretty bad shape for a while.

I have just heard of this, as of opening weekend. I always have a couple wild hogs processed for sausage. Does anyone know definitivly that cooking the meat kills the bacteria, or that raw meat and blood are the only ways to contract the disease?

thourough cooking will kill it.

Brucellosis is a reproductive disease, so most of the chance of becoming infected comes from the reproductive organs, afterbirth and aborted fetuses. That said, wear your gloves, cook the meat to 160 degrees, and be careful as to what you touch and you will reduce your chances to nearly zero.

Brucellosis also causes swelling of the testicles in some cases, so If you kill a boar that looks hung like king kong, leave him alone, there are more to kill.