• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners GAT vs T5 opinions

O_W

Team tug toner
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2008
Texas
I hav my 300 WM action ready to go for a new stock. I really want a thumbhole stock and have decided on a manners. I am just curious about the difference in the T5 and GAT and any +/- for either.

Thanks

Re: Manners GAT vs T5 opinions

The T5 is supposed to have better ergonomics. It also has the area behind the trigger filled in to ensure your hand returns to the same spot every time.

Either way its a Manners and you will get a great stock.

I prefer the T5 over the GAT every day of the week.

Try to see if anyone local has one and get your hands on it.

Stocks cannot be objectively discussed. It either fits or it doesn't. For me, I can't stand an McM A-5. Most uncomfortable stock I've ever owned. Many swear by it as "the best".

I shot the Manners GAT for years and loved it. It was very comfortable and very consistent (for me). Plus, in tac comps where you were running around I had a distinct advantage. I have felt many a T-5 and I like it, I think I would do real well with it. Could I recommend one over the other? Depends on what YOU like. Truth of the matter is you really cannot get a handle on a stock until you've FF the crap out of it. Only then will you know if it's the right stock for you, not whether or not John Doe says it's a good stock.

Ive owned a lot of stocks. Switching most of my rifles over to T5A's

I was hoping someone who has both or has handled both can put into practical terms the difference? I understand they cannot be objectively discussed about the good/bad but differences can be defined.

Thanks for the information.

The area where thumbhole is, is definitely improved and feels better... it is more in line with an AI stock then the GAT is.

We can't explain a feel difference, if you really want to know try both, but the T5 is a better more mature design. The pistol grip area is much better as well there is an option for an ambi version.

The T5A is a much beefier stock than the GAT. I personally like the 2.4" beavertail forend on the T5A over the 1.7" on the GAT. Like many others I find the thumb hole configuration to be the most comfortable I have owned and I am a fan of thumbhole stocks even on my hunting rigs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LarryB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The T5A is a much beefier stock than the GAT. I personally like the 2.4" beavertail forend on the T5A over the 1.7" on the GAT. Like many others I find the thumb hole configuration to be the most comfortable I have owned and I am a fan of thumbhole stocks even on my hunting rigs.</div></div>

Larry, I don't know if you've seen the new GAT stock because Tom actually took the T5 fore end and put it on the GAT. It's a difference stock now than that skinny GAT he used to have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LarryB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The T5A is a much beefier stock than the GAT. I personally like the 2.4" beavertail forend on the T5A over the 1.7" on the GAT. Like many others I find the thumb hole configuration to be the most comfortable I have owned and I am a fan of thumbhole stocks even on my hunting rigs.</div></div>

Larry, I don't know if you've seen the new GAT stock because Tom actually took the T5 fore end and put it on the GAT. It's a difference stock now than that skinny GAT he used to have. </div></div>I have T5A, and the main reason I bought it is because Manners changed the forend from the old GAT to the same 2.4" forend as the T2 and T3 have. While I think the T5A is fantastic, I am debating whether to order another because of the weight. I'm leaning toward a T3 with 90% carbon.

The new manners T5 is a great feeling and fitting stock. I have one on my 338 edge. Also have two of the AICS stocks that don't feel half as good as the T5. If you have big hands like I do you'd like the T5 fit.