• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Manners quality question

Kraut

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2019
Montgomery AL
I recently bought my first Manners stock and would like to know if the flaws in the material are standard or out of the ordinary.
Hope someone could give me an advice.

Attachments

• 20191228_090913.jpg
    20191228_090913.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 234
  • 20191228_090906.jpg
    20191228_090906.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 223
What finish is that on the outside?
And to answer your question......... just putt the damn BA in and start shooting bro it’s nothing

Bjay is right, it's Arctic camo.
I thought geting a $800 stock would buy me a flawless product.

Bjay is right, it's Arctic camo.
I thought geting a $800 stock would buy me a flawless product.
It will be flawless once barrel action and bottom is installed :)
Those are like cocking almost primer finish after they i let stocks..:)

That's normal and nothing to worry about.
If it really bothers you mix up some JB Weld and use a Bondo spreader or one made from an 1/8" piece of rubber matting and give it a swipe to fill it in.
Otherwise drop your BA in and forget about it.

Reactions: Aftermath
I recently bought my first Manners stock and would like to know if the flaws in the material are standard or out of the ordinary.
Well lets hope not as I just last week ordered one !!!

You should contact Manners, voice your concerns and give them the opportunity to resolve them to your satisfaction.

Honestly, I find these kinds of threads in very poor form. Manners, among many other vendors here are a standup organization and they deserve the opportunity to address real or perceived problems before dirty laundry is aired on a public forum, here, or anywhere else.

FWIW, I have no relationship with Manners, nor do I even know anyone at Manners. I have a number of their stocks and have been quite pleased with all of them. Are my finishes "rough" in a similar fashion to yours ? Yes. Does it affect the functionality or the underlying quality of the product ? No.

Most customers of Manners are going to be bashing their stocks around to a certain degree, hence, they were never intended to be "heirloom quality". Personally, I'll take a brick shithouse Manners over an heirloom stock any day. YMMV.

I think avoiding any air pockets in fiberglass would be quite the challenge, it's not in a visible place so I run it. Manners are great to deal with, I would suggest contacting them if this bothers you.

To all, thanks for the reply. The post was not intended to bash Manners. If those air pockets are standard and don't affect stability and durability I´m ok with it. I just wanted to know if its a reason to be concerned with.

Have a great new year guys

This "flaw" that your seeing is a pretty normal byproduct of making a composite rifle stock that uses a filler material. The shit gets mixed, then pumped into the shell. A little porosity is not uncommon nor is it really avoidable given the process.

If you want it "better", then be prepared to pay about 2x as much as you do for an inletted blank. The process exists, but its outside the reality of what most are willing to shell out for.

A little gas tank filler will patch those up pretty easily.