• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Manners T4A or JAE 700

Dark Horse

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Albany, NY
Interested in a new 338 Lapua build. Don't have any experience with either one of these stocks and have never owned a bolt action rifle other than several TRG-42's and an HS precision with its bedding block. So is there an advantage to a bedded rifle or does it loosen up over time and degrade accuracy? Is there a harmonmic disadvantage in consistent accuracy of a chassis system? Both stocks are aesthetically pleasing but I have no idea about fit and ergonomics. Sorry about the rookie questions, just want to make a more educated decision.

You are going to get a lot of answers that go both ways. I will just tell you from my personal experience, I had a chassis system (not a JAE) and although my gun shot great with it I still ended up selling it and going with a Manners T4a and having it bedded. The accuracy was very good with the chassis, but so far it seems more consistent with the bedded stock. There is just something about a nicely bedded action to me. The chassis are good though these days so I do not think there is a wrong answer to your question.

A good chassis and a bedded stock should both bolt up the same every time - no need to re-zero the scope, and no shift once attached. The bigger factor at this point is that JAE is currently filling JAE-700 orders placed two years ago, while the Manners t4a is available. I know JAE is moving locations so that they can expand production capability, but that won't help if you want the hot new stock for this summer's shooting.

Interested in a new 338 Lapua build. Don't have any experience with either one of these stocks and have never owned a bolt action rifle other than several TRG-42's and an HS precision with its bedding block. So is there an advantage to a bedded rifle or does it loosen up over time and degrade accuracy? Is there a harmonmic disadvantage in consistent accuracy of a chassis system? Both stocks are aesthetically pleasing but I have no idea about fit and ergonomics. Sorry about the rookie questions, just want to make a more educated decision.

The two are very different. You need to get behind both and see what works for you.

A good chassis and a bedded rifle will shoot virtual the same in the field. Only the best of shooters would ever see a difference. I shoot a chassis and anytime I miss, it isn't the chassis's fault. Bedded stocks are fit for the one barreled action, can degrade from solvents or by taking the barreled action in and out over the years---its hard to recoup that investment if you sell it down the road.

I had a GAP at one time that I took from a bedded stock to a chassis. I couldn't tell the difference between accuracy in the stock vs chassis.

I was always under the impression that a chassis may be, but not necessarily more prone to poi change due to harmonics and thermal properties. Not that they can't be accurate, but a bedded rifle may have a slight advantage in consistency. Then again, the internet has taught me everything I know.

Regardless, I like both stocks and if one is closer in feel to a TRG-42, that may weigh in the decision.

I was always under the impression that a chassis may be, but not necessarily more prone to poi change due to harmonics and thermal properties. Not that they can't be accurate, but a bedded rifle may have a slight advantage in consistency. Then again, the internet has taught me everything I know.

Regardless, I like both stocks and if one is closer in feel to a TRG-42, that may weigh in the decision.

My opinion is that a pillar bedded stock, (done right) will not affect harmonics but the best solution is a glue job. BB

cant call it. But i would like to know what you figure out. keep it posted.

Just received mine after 18 months - it was worth it the wait. Although I did buy another chassis to use in the meantime - I couldnt have put up with a rifle being down for all that time :S

To the OP:

The JAE700 stock will not work for your 338 LM build. I was of the same mind and contacted JAE for some specifics. The REM700 338LM Action is a larger magnum action and has larger non-compatible dimensions for the Long action setup on the JAE-700 stock. (Also the reason that the Surgeon Scalpel in 338LM is not offered with the JAE)

Everyone else:
That said, I have a JAE-700 stock on order and can't wait, though taking clues off other posters I'll be waiting till next year sometime... :(. I have a McMillan T4-a on my 223 REM 700 AAC-SD and it's fantastic.

Last edited:
How about a t4a with the manners mini chassis then you get the best of both worlds.
This is true, but 338 is a big boomer. Does the OP really see himself swapping out other barreled actions within this mini-chassis or desire the ability to sell it later down the line?

If I was building a 338, 300 NM, etc, I would have it bedded in a stock that I liked, unless I had some other requirement that demanded the use of a fancy chassis system. FWIW, Surgeon rifles will build you a Remedy rifle in an AIAX chassis, which should suit any person's needs. I don't care how cool they look, I would't wait a year or longer for a JAE.

Are you kidding? I knew they were full of shit when they guessed at 10-12 months last year.. you have any idea on ETA for yours as of now??

I am being quite serious, but in their defense, my original order was for a JAE-100 and 2-3 months into it I change it to a JAE-700. Still... that's a LONGGGG TIME. For a while I started wondering they had gone out of business... but I see new photos of stocks every month, and they attend every SHOT show... not to mention they're like 10 miles from me.

Lisa is awesome to deal with, really nice person. Yes the wait sucks, but I just learned to continue on other projects and put that one in the back burner. :)

I like that Jae Allen is OCD... I appreciate that kind of behavior. I did own a JAE-100 Gen2 when I still had my M1A... it was awesome...

Soon as I finally get the JAE 700 though, it's off to GAP to get fitted with one of their actions and 260 barrel so I suppose it'll be another year... lol whatever. :p

I am also waiting on a JAE-700. I was quoted 10 months about 2 years ago. That said, I went into it knowing this would likely be the outcome and based off my experience with the JAE-100G2, I was prepared to wait it out.

Just got my Manners T4A in today, it is fantastic, doesn't weigh anything, has the perfect fit and feel for me. Installation didn't take long, had to trim just a tad off of where the bolt arm goes, can't wait to shoot it.

Try to get behind both and see how they feel. I was sold on an aics until I got behind a mcm a5, and it was just way more comfortable.

QUOTE: "I don't care how cool they look, I would't wait a year or longer for a JAE."

+1. There has to be another way, I don't care how marvelous the product. BB

Manners all the way. I have a T4, T4A, and a T3. My next build will be a folder, so I thought I would get an AICS, but wait.... oh yeah, Manners has that covered too

I have a Manners T4A on my Remington 5r 300 Win Mag had Moon at Crescent Customs do the bedding and love the stock it shoots great and the recoil is about the same as my 308 that's in a Mcree stock

JAE 700's are amazing.

For what it's worth... I have fired a hell of a lot of rifles and stocks. I shoot a lot at a range in Los Angeles that has well over 1000 yd's to play with.

I've built a lot of rifles for friends. I build them to what they need, not just what I think is right for me.

I think a lot of people add more black magic than necessary to this hobby because they struggle to understand the fundamentals.

At it's core shooting is a game of physics. And yes, while many factors and variables play into all physics. Many of them are too minor to measure.

It's a macho sport with a lot of misinformation. Usually handed down and perpetuated by, family, the Internet, and foolish conversations at the range.

My favorite stock is by far my JAE-700. It's an amazing work of art.

There are plenty of good stocks out there. But I really love my JAE.

It's ergonomics and thoughtful build is really hard to beat. It's materiality is killer. It's weight is wonderful. Their color combinations rock.

I shoot competitively and in advanced training classes all around the world... and a lot. Night, stalking, prone, hunting, virtually never from the bench though.

I shoot a Remington 700 SPS Tactical with a Thunder Beast 30-BA. I rule with it. (I can only use my suppressor outside of CA)

Sure there's more accurate barrels and actions, but it's so damn marginal that it doesn't matter. If that becomes your focus you're caught up on the wrong details, or yes if you like to shoot from the bench for competitions I could see you needing a different barrel or action or whatever.

But if you read any of the books out there about the "best snipers" in the world, these aren't the facts they get caught up on.

I out shoot a majority of people, because my system is locked down, ultra consistent, and I have my dope to a tried and true place.

I'm great with my trigger press. I work out a lot and I have a lot of muscle control when shooting.

I really want to build a 338. I am torn on what to do, but I have a lot of trouble imagining myself on any stock other than a JAE.

They turn a hell of a lot of heads because they're built to last a lifetime and they're equally as beautiful.

For anyone that really understands barrel harmonics just get off the stock vs bedded thing. Both can be wonderful if you know what you're doing and you go to the right gunsmith.

If you get your stock put in right, and you lock tight the hell out of it... as well as every other part on your gun you're golden.

If I could weld my gun parts to each other I would.

Once you know that you're setup like that... you as a shooter will almost always make a bigger difference than anything else. Don't forget it.

JAE's rock. The wait time sucks. C'est la vie.