• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

C657E76D-4D67-4AA1-A26E-AEAE39E14009.jpeg

My best friend! Rambo doing what he loves!

English Cream Golden Retrievers enjoying the beach.

Attachments

• 798EB2DF-05EF-41F9-806A-5BF71C73CA18.jpeg
    798EB2DF-05EF-41F9-806A-5BF71C73CA18.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 651EBC8B-4970-4E01-BD5B-067BE79C94B5.jpeg
    651EBC8B-4970-4E01-BD5B-067BE79C94B5.jpeg
    668.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 8D6E69C5-1802-469F-A75D-E27ACC09E714.jpeg
    8D6E69C5-1802-469F-A75D-E27ACC09E714.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 19
Hey guys, thought I would introduce myself and finally join in this thread

First off @34SF hope your pup is on the mend and keeps making improvements. Looks like you have traveled a long road and wish you both all the best

I'm a dog guy and in my 63 years don't remember ever going more than a few months without a dog or dogs in my life.
This last year has been a little rough after losing my big guy "Gus".
Having a hard time getting over this one but still have Cash the Border Collie and Tuff the Blue Healer to keep me company

Here is a little tribute to Gus

From the time (30 minutes into the 6 hour ride home) when he bonded with me
View attachment 8330450
Till the end, this was his favorite place to be
View attachment 8330451
View attachment 8330452
Even though everyone knows a Weimeraner is not a cow dog, he loved helping me with them, whether moving pastures with his "brother" Cash
View attachment 8330454
or helping me with corral chores. He loved carrying the empty feed sacks (he learned to put them in a pile inside the door) or bucket back to the barn for me. He also loved helping me sort or push cattle up the alleyway.
View attachment 8330453
He was just a darned good companion
View attachment 8330455
View attachment 8330456
View attachment 8330462
View attachment 8330457

I miss ya ol buddy, rest in peace.
Great looking dog, sorry for your loss. But always remember this you gave Gus his best life !

Ok, been scrolling though here for a while...
Not sure if it this thread or not, but a dog breed was mentioned and i cant recall what it was.

Very large dog(140+ lbs), live stock gaurdian, from a foreign country, medium length coat and the name was an "english word".

Anyone help me out? Please and thank you.
Shred

Edit...as soon as i posted, i remembered.
Alabai

Edit...as soon as i posted, i remembered.
Alabai

That just looks like a slightly larger version of the Great White Pyrenees (from Italy) used so much here for LGD purposes (yes I know genetically different). Sad - too many Pyrs here euthanized and in shelters here because they are such cute pups but people don't realize 1) although loyal, they are very independent thinking and 2) high fence requirements/ability to escape conventional fencing.

Kanga. 1/4 American Terrier, 1/4 Staffordshire Terrier, 1/4 American Pitbull, and 1/4 mixed.

Blue eyes, webbed feet. 13 months old and weighs 70 lbs. Just a sweetheart.

IMG_5913.jpeg

Roo, 10+ years old. Rescue from FL. Wife calls her the BDE Best Dog Ever. Kanga is the second pup she raised.

IMG_8274.jpeg

We won the dog lottery and they won the human lottery. Daily walks of 3 miles and weekend walks of 6 miles or more in the various wildlife areas on the Columbia or Snake rivers nearby.

Last edited:
View attachment 8379912
He loves sitting by the fire .....
Our dog would get much closer. Her fur would be so hot you could barely touch it.

Then I put in-floor heating in most of the house. In the living room you could feel where the pipes were under the floor. She would lay on a pipe, usually with most of her body in the sun, but her head in the shade. She would move to follow the sun.

That just looks like a slightly larger version of the Great White Pyrenees (from Italy) used so much here for LGD purposes (yes I know genetically different). Sad - too many Pyrs here euthanized and in shelters here because they are such cute pups but people don't realize 1) although loyal, they are very independent thinking and 2) high fence requirements/ability to escape conventional fencing.
I'm not being a smartass I'm just saying.
iu

We had a nanny that gave birth to two kid's one wasn't strong enough to nurse , so we brought it inside to feed it with a syringe . Our Shepard refused to leave the kid until it was strong enough to get up on its own . for 3 days she stayed beside that little goat and kept it warm .
DSC_0007 (12).jpeg

Took my puppy Cedar out for her first hunting class on Sunday the day before her first birthday. Turns out not only is she incredibly good at running them down and catching them she also delivers birds way better than she delivers bumpers.

With the bumpers she would sometimes run around with them or chomp and not let go, she did none of that with the birds just right back to me and either held or dropped at my feet. It honestly surprised me and made me feel like all those hours of training were finally paying off.

IMG_0791.jpeg
IMG_0792.jpeg
IMG_0793.jpeg
IMG_0790.jpeg

Took my puppy Cedar out for her first hunting class on Sunday the day before her first birthday. Turns out not only is she incredibly good at running them down and catching them she also delivers birds way better than she delivers bumpers.

With the bumpers she would sometimes run around with them or chomp and not let go, she did none of that with the birds just right back to me and either held or dropped at my feet. It honestly surprised me and made me feel like all those hours of training were finally paying off.

View attachment 8392440View attachment 8392441View attachment 8392442View attachment 8392439
I had a chocolate lab that would retrieve anything I threw. Anything I shot was a no-go! He'd find it and show me where it was, but not a chance in hell he was bringing it back.

I shot a pheasant that went down across a creek one day. He ran back and forth probably 10 times showing me where it was. The closest bridge was about a 1/2 mile, each way. I got wet! :ROFLMAO:

Shot a quail once and had an idea: I sat him down, put it in his mouth, and backed up about 10 yards. I called him, he spit it out and came running! :poop:

I had a chocolate lab that would retrieve anything I threw. Anything I shot was a no-go! He'd find it and show me where it was, but not a chance in hell he was bringing it back.

I shot a pheasant that went down across a creek one day. He ran back and forth probably 10 times showing me where it was. The closest bridge was about a 1/2 mile, each way. I got wet! :ROFLMAO:

Shot a quail once and had an idea: I sat him down, put it in his mouth, and backed up about 10 yards. I called him, he spit it out and came running! :poop:
I have to laugh at this, my family had Brittany’s for the last 30 years. All of them have retrieved from wherever the bird landed, if We hit them or not. Two of them have swum in ponds to retrieve pheasant at different times.

0C648CA7-EFAA-431A-9DBE-91316735F1E8.jpeg

I have to laugh at this, my family had Brittany’s for the last 30 years. All of them have retrieved from wherever the bird landed, if We hit them or not. Two of them have swum in ponds to retrieve pheasant at different times.

View attachment 8393981
The whole thing was too funny to get mad it him. It's even funnier now, 30 years later!

Thor, our 1st Mastiff.

This was his natural pose. He'd sit like this and watch people as they walked past our house, but never bark. Really made people nervous. :cool:

wW63exu.jpg
What was the drool and shedding like? I am considering an Italian mastiff for our next family dog. (No dog will ever replace by beloved Holder, my Akita I have now. He's going to be 11 in June though)

I want a big dog that will guard my family but can handle our hot weather and the Cane Corso seems like a great fit. Just not sure about drooling.

What was the drool and shedding like? I am considering an Italian mastiff for our next family dog. (No dog will ever replace by beloved Holder, my Akita I have now. He's going to be 11 in June though)

I want a big dog that will guard my family but can handle our hot weather and the Cane Corso seems like a great fit. Just not sure about drooling.
Drooling wasn't too bad with him, his partner in crime was worse. We have a Bull Mastiff now that isn't bad at all. The Dane we have is the worst!!

All our Mastiffs have shed, a lot and year-round. We have 2 black dogs, the Dane & a Dane/Mastiff mix, and the fawn Bull Mastiff now. The blond hair is easily 4-1 over black.

We looked into getting a Cane Corso before we got the BM. We decided they're too high energy for us. As it is, nothing and no one comes near our house when the boys are outside. About 500 lbs. between the 3 of them.

I found out yesterday that mine is having the opposite issue, now if I toss a bumper or a bird dummy she will run out and either half heartedly retrieve it while doing laps around me or just sniff it and walk away.

A frozen chukar from Sunday? Races out to grab it and delivers to hand. I guess technically it’s a good problem to have but it makes training kind of hard as I don’t want to overuse the actual birds. Going to have to wrap some pheasant wings around a canvas bumper to see if that gets her going again.

View attachment 8380021

Waiting for bird season to get here.

The first Saturday in May can't arrive fast enough

We say ours worship the god of fire as well. The wife likes an electric heater running in the bathroom after she gets out of the shower. I will give you one guess where big dog is, right in front of the electric heater.

Unless it is really cold I will not use it, or did not use it. Dog follows me in, looks at me, looks at the space heater, back and forth.....OH ALL RIGHT, click turn it on, now she is happy and will lay down right in front of the thing.

My dogs lead such a rough life.

Doggie story:

Right before winter the shelter we do work for had an auction. One item was an invisible fence, installed and training for one dog. Wife won it and we paid for dog two, and another collar. Really worried about it, big dog had just horrid recall.

Last weekend we had family out and after the "old people" got sat down we let the pups out, they did really good, left the house open as there was not many bugs out, it was still pretty cold, cold enough to run a propane heater for the MiL.

Where is Willow, I have not seen her in a while. Little one was sleeping under the table. Wife said she went up stairs and went to bed.

Goofy dog, she loves to run, but when she wants back inside she wants back inside. They are going to have some real fun when I retire and am outside a lot during the day.

Reactions: sandhiller

It's just my opinion, but nothing beats a good Akita.
My first one was a giant named Miko. She was my bodyguard/wingman/copilot/babysitter. She wasn't opposed to me dating, but I couldn't date the crazy ones. She'd run them off by various hilarious means. On the other hand, she'd fetch the good ones and bring them to me.

I'm on my fourth Akita now.

It's just my opinion, but nothing beats a good Akita.
My first one was a giant named Miko. She was my bodyguard/wingman/copilot/babysitter. She wasn't opposed to me dating, but I couldn't date the crazy ones. She'd run them off by various hilarious means. On the other hand, she'd fetch the good ones and bring them to me.

I'm on my fourth Akita now.
Definitely! They are absolutely amazing. So different than any other breed. I love them, I just feel bad with the heat that we have down here and the constant blowing of the coat and all as a result of the weather swings. I feel selfish getting another one knowing how little they will be able to enjoy the outside. That said, my boy is happy and has always been happy, but he doesn't go out much for a big chunk of the year. It's more pronounced as he's gotten older though. When he was young it didn't bother him as much but I still couldn't take him to the ball park and stuff like that because he'd just get too hot most of the time. I'm in Alabama so it's really hot.

View attachment 8393981
I'm a shorthair guy but there was a time in high school when the only bird dog was my dad's Brittany. I had good grades so he let me ditch school whenever I wanted to go hunting. Took her to a pheasant club one day and shot a hen that landed in a bass pond. Raz wouldn't go in for love or money, until she did. I had to go in after both the dog and the bird. Walked back to the club house in my union suit for a soggy ride home. Everyone else thought it was funny.