• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

Girls got another dog...back up to 6...after they gave away the Chiweiner to one of the barbershop customers' family. Nine week old pitbull, her name is Dooly.
Dooly.jpg

Everyone, meet Cedar, our now 9 week old Field Bred Golden Retriever

IMG_1224.jpeg

We’ve had her for a little over a week and she is just adorable with the sweetest face. She’s been great with people, traveling in the car and she is getting the hang of her crate training. She loves sleeping in the oddest positions and is actually doing surprisingly well on basic retrieves.

IMG_5447.jpeg

She also goes absolutely bonkers over bird feathers, I pulled a pheasant wing out of a bag and one of the little feathers fell onto a roll in her bed. She walked by a minute later and proceeded to upend her bed looking for it. Worked a little outside dragging the feather across the dry yard and she instinctively knows how to cut a track looking for the trail. Add in her tenacity and stubborn to dive under stuff to get what she wants and I foresee with some training this dog is going to be a bird hunting and deer tracking machine.

Now if I could just figure out how to stop her from retrieving and eating pine cones.

IMG_0162.jpeg

Everyone, meet Cedar, our now 9 week old Field Bred Golden Retriever

View attachment 8160747

We’ve had her for a little over a week and she is just adorable with the sweetest face. She’s been great with people, traveling in the car and she is getting the hang of her crate training. She loves sleeping in the oddest positions and is actually doing surprisingly well on basic retrieves.

View attachment 8161099

She also goes absolutely bonkers over bird feathers, I pulled a pheasant wing out of a bag and one of the little feathers fell onto a roll in her bed. She walked by a minute later and proceeded to upend her bed looking for it. Worked a little outside dragging the feather across the dry yard and she instinctively knows how to cut a track looking for the trail. Add in her tenacity and stubborn to dive under stuff to get what she wants and I foresee with some training this dog is going to be a bird hunting and deer tracking machine.

Now if I could just figure out how to stop her from retrieving and eating pine cones.

View attachment 8161100
Pine cones are cheaper then the shoes my new pup won’t leave alone. Lol.

Good looking pup

Reactions: 338dude
Two of my much-loved Akitas from years gone by:

This was Sayo. She was my little thug. Didn't like other dogs and was indifferent to most people other than myself. The big exception was children. Any children, of any species. She would project them with her life.
Sayo1.jpg

Before Sayo was Sage. She was the diplomat. She could make friends with anyone or other dog. Before anyone was the wiser, she would emerge as the alpha of the group. Hers was a "iron fist in a velvet glove" sort of style. She also had her own sort of genius for puzzles, doors, drawers...you name it.
sage01.jpg

And before these two there was Miko. I don't have any good pictures of her because she was from the time before phone cameras. Miko was actually half Akita and half Rottweiler. She looked like an Akita on steroids. She was my little party girl. If she had been human, she would have been the girl dancing on the bar top screaming "Wuuu Whoo!!!..."

Miko had a gift for communication. She understood a huge number of English words and could follow along with a discussion. She also learned to nod her head for yes, shake her heard for no, and would stamp her foot if she was pissed about the final outcome. Plus other things. It would freak people out.

Much as I loved my current Akita, Shiloh, these three will each always own a piece of my heart.

American Pit are vicious dogs! Tongue slobber all over my neck and chin...

358784037_298066435964120_7833345875371295118_n.jpg

*Edit: I was going to put a "black bar" over my eyes for comedic effect, but let's be honest, I was in the military for 24 years, and have been a dirty scumbag Army contractor for 9 years, they know my face.

Does anyone have any experience with Mountain Curs? We live on a farm in coyote country and a dog needs to be able to defend themselves.

Thanks to all the sharing about losing dogs. I don't know how many more I can read. It's amazing how close we get. Our GSD has hip dysplasia and I don't know if he has a year left.....

Does anyone have any experience with Mountain Curs? We live on a farm in coyote country and a dog needs to be able to defend themselves.

Thanks to all the sharing about losing dogs. I don't know how many more I can read. It's amazing how close we get. Our GSD has hip dysplasia and I don't know if he has a year left.....
Maybe look into anatolian shepherds. I have one (1/2 anatolian, 1/2 german shepherd) and she makes a hell of an alarm system. Plenty of youtube videos of them running farms, sheep herds, etc.

Last edited:
Dern.

I've seen a couple stories like this and it always tears me up.

1692721937935.png

"Today I saw it with my own eyes.
I asked people around and they said he comes there every day and lies down for a few hours.
Then he goes somewhere and comes again the next day!
It's long past time to understand that there are things in life much more important than money, power, and career. There is something in the world called true, selfless Love!

When I am old...
I will wear soft gray sweatshirts...
and a bandana over my silver hair...
and I will spend my social security checks on my dogs.
I will sit in my house on my well-worn chair
and listen to my dogs breathing.
I will sneak out in the middle of a warm summer night
and take my dogs for a run, if my old bones will allow...
When people come to call, I will smile and nod
as I show them my dogs...
and talk of them and about them...
...the ones so beloved of the past
and the ones so beloved of today...
I will still work hard cleaning after them,
mopping and feeding them and whispering their names
in a soft loving way.
I will wear the gleaming sweat on my throat,
like a jewel, and I will be an embarrassment to all...
especially my family...
who have not yet found the peace in being free
to have dogs as your best friends...
These friends who always wait, at any hour, for your footfall...
and eagerly jump to their feet out of a sound sleep,
to greet you as if you are a God,
with warm eyes full of adoring love and hope
that you will always stay,
I'll hug their big strong necks...
I'll kiss their dear sweet heads...
and whisper in their very special company....
I look in the mirror... and see I am getting old....
this is the kind of person I am...
and have always been.
Loving dogs is easy, they are part of me.
Please accept me for who I am.
My dogs appreciate my presence in their lives...
they love my presence in their lives...
When I am old this will be important to me...
you will understand when you are old, if you have dogs to love too.

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 1.57.34 PM.png