• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

Well crap.

There's a little dog that lives across the street that always runs loose. He likes to taunt Shiloh when she's tethered out front so she can be with my while I'm working on whatever. The little dogs like to prance around just beyond Shiloh's' reach. Kinda like he's going "neener neener neener...". Shiloh gets furious about that.

This afternoon while I was working on the Willys it happened again. But this time Shiloh's tether popped loose.

I yelled at Shiloh to stop, but she had lock and tone, and was beyond listening. She caught the dog in the middle of the street and began shaking it like a rat. She was going for the kill.

I grabbed Shiloh and tried to pull her back, but the little dog was caught up in what was left of Shiloh's tether and wasn't falling free. And Shiloh didn't want to quit. Before I knew it, I was tangled in the tether as well and fell onto the street with them. I got a good grip on Shiloh and was keeping her from doing any more damage when I felt the other dog's teeth sink into my left wrist. (I don't really fault it for that, he was scared and fighting for his life and didn't understand I was trying to save him.)

The dog also chewed up the arm of the guy who owns him. I don't know which of us got bit worse, but his arm was a lot bloodier.

In the aftermath, it looked like the dog had a chest muscle torn loose that was knotted up under the skin over his ribs. He's gonna be hurting for a while.

The dog's family are good people. I hope we can work through this.
A postscript to my first post:

I spoke with the family of the other dog. He died about half an hour after the fight. They described it as a punctured lung that turned into a Tension Pneumothorax.

They said they understood their dog provoked the incident, and things happen. They have no hard feelings. I still feel pretty shitty about it all.

I spoke with the family of the other dog. He died about half an hour after the fight. They described it as a punctured lung that turned into a Tension Pneumothorax.

They said they understood their dog provoked the incident, and things happen. They have no hard feelings. I still feel pretty shitty about it all.
Damn that sucks. Good luck with everything.

That sucks man. Sorry it happens. My kid has let my dog out of our fence a few times and thats always my biggest fear. He runs around and then comes back home but I'm always worried someone will be walking their dog and come by and then that will be it and I will have a shit storm on my hands. I'm glad it went that way for you. It just happens sometimes. Glad they were good to you about it. Probably a good idea to do something for them to be nice. They could have made a much bigger problem for you though, if their dog liked to taunt big dogs, it was bound to happen. Sorry it happened with your dog though.

It does suck, and to be harsh this is really on your neighbors.

You MUST control your animal. End of story. Now we all know from time to time a dog will go for a run, and it really just ticks me off when they do.

I had a shock collar on my old border, and he would mind just fantastic. Be on the worlds greatest sniff, and he would not come, tone him and head up and he is coming back at a speed between a walk and a full speed run.....but.

Every once and a while, you would see is cross his head. He would pick his head up, stand real still, and you think....OOOHHHHH shitttttt. And boom I think he busted the speed of sound. Tone nothing shock nothing, shock on 11, nothing he was out.

You knew to back a car out of the garage as he would be back in about an hour or two smelling of cow shit and green from playing in ponds. Never let him have it when he came back IMHO that is the wrong message.....If I come back he is going to hit me, so he was always a good but very nasty and naughty dog. And they know, the upside down and acting like I beat them on a daily basis.

Just last week the wife won at the animal shelter option an invisible fence. They had an auction. So I am the new owner of an invisible fence, she says it is the people that invented the technology, ok if you say so.

They will come out, dig it and train the dogs for like a week or something.

My quesion is damage to the fence, moles, voles and groundhogs are EVERYWYERE. If that fence is down I want to know it, and I want to know how to repair it myself.

Reactions: 338dude
This thread is in a downward trend right now. We’re sorry about the incident but let’s bring some joy today!!! I’ll start things off with a business end pic of the most handsome gsp around.
IMG_7428.jpeg

I heard the local animal control was way over crowded and having to put down quite a few dogs in the coming days, so I decided to stop by and look around. Wasn't really planning on getting another dog and then I saw this little cone head giving me the sad eyes.

I couldnt resist. I paid $5 for her and ended up bringing her home that day. We have had her for about 6 months now and she's already one of my favorite dogs. She's only 45 lbs fully grown, tough as nails but sweet as pie.

She never runs away, is friendly with both people and animals, and just doesnt have a mean bone her body. I can take her anywhere and not have to worry about her getting into trouble. In fact, she's had a couple dogs go after her, and she just runs away and comes right back to me. She been accepted by my other dogs without issue, even though my male can be quite aggressive with other dogs at times. She's keeping them young and on their toes for sure.

20230502_123928.jpg
20231015_105953.jpg
20231117_062900.jpg

I have had an invisible fence for 16 years. We have trained 4 dogs for the fence over that time. The invisible fence works great, but does require proper training. Proper training takes a couple of weeks.

This is the training process we got from the invisible fence guy 16 years ago.
Install small marking flags about 8 feet apart where the fence wire is buried. Our trainer took the shock prongs off of the collar and installed a buzzer we could hear. Take the dog out only on a lease or long lead. When the dog gets close enough for the buzzer to sound, you tighten up on the leash and use some type of verbal command (we used back) and lead the dog away from the fence line.

After a couple days the dog will begin to back away from the fence line when the buzzer sounds (no verbal command required). Then it is time to remove the buzzer and install the shock prongs. The collar makes a high pitch beeping that I can't hear when the dog gets too close to the line. After a couple of seconds of beeping if the dog doesn't back up the collar will emit a shock. My dogs only got shocked once. After that when the collar beeped they backed away from the line before the shock came. Keep working with the dog on a long lead and remove every other flag every other day. By the end of the second week you can take the dog out without a lease. Make sure the dog stays inside the fenced area before leaving them out unsupervised. After a few months we could let them out without the fence collar and they never approached the line.

We had about 2 1/2 acres fenced. Our current dog is pretty small and only weighs about 10 pounds, so when we got him a new fence guy came and made our fenced area much smaller. When he was finished moving the fence, he put the shock collar on the dog a proceeds to lead him out to the fence to get shocked. The dog gets shocked and has no idea why! I'm pissed because I know that is not the way to train a dog for the fence. I paid the fence guy and made him leave. We put out flags like we had always done. I installed rubber fuel line on the shock prongs and we trained him like we had our past dogs. It took a little longer to train this dog because he didn't want to go out in the yard at all after being shocked.

The fence works, but training is the key to success.

My quesion is damage to the fence, moles, voles and groundhogs are EVERYWYERE. If that fence is down I want to know it, and I want to know how to repair it myself.

Where you have the fence plugged in, that controller will beep if there is a break in the fence.

Repairing it is easy once you find the break. That's the hard part, but you can get fence break tools. It's basically a toner tracer. I got one on Amazon for cheap and it works great. I just had to locate and repair a break this weekend.

It does suck, and to be harsh this is really on your neighbors.

You MUST control your animal. End of story. Now we all know from time to time a dog will go for a run, and it really just ticks me off when they do.

I had a shock collar on my old border, and he would mind just fantastic. Be on the worlds greatest sniff, and he would not come, tone him and head up and he is coming back at a speed between a walk and a full speed run.....but.

Every once and a while, you would see is cross his head. He would pick his head up, stand real still, and you think....OOOHHHHH shitttttt. And boom I think he busted the speed of sound. Tone nothing shock nothing, shock on 11, nothing he was out.

You knew to back a car out of the garage as he would be back in about an hour or two smelling of cow shit and green from playing in ponds. Never let him have it when he came back IMHO that is the wrong message.....If I come back he is going to hit me, so he was always a good but very nasty and naughty dog. And they know, the upside down and acting like I beat them on a daily basis.

Just last week the wife won at the animal shelter option an invisible fence. They had an auction. So I am the new owner of an invisible fence, she says it is the people that invented the technology, ok if you say so.

They will come out, dig it and train the dogs for like a week or something.

Look into a wireless fence.

I've had high drive dogs that didn't care about getting shocked to jail break or would run fast enough that the shock wouldn't even happen or it was so short in duration they didn't care. You'd hear a little yelp as they passed the line, but they wouldn't slow down at all. I've had others that had a very healthy respect for it and were petrified just to hear it beep.

Not all dogs are built the same. Just have to know your dog.

This is our aussie Hannah who unfortunately passed on Thanksgiving morning
She was still young at only 10 years old
Don't know why just did
Tough having to bury one of your friends
View attachment 8280259
So sorry to hear that man. It is very tough for sure. Take a little time and then get you a new puppy if you can. That helps the most imo.

Reactions: JR_77 and 338dude
Be thankful for your time together, grieve then start the cycle again. that seem to be the only thing that helped me.

Reactions: Dog&Jeep

FAFO

Dern. I cried when I first saw that movie.
I was at a high school buddy and his wife's house Thanksgiving and were talking about Mason, TX and Ol' Yeller. I mentioned I never see a split rail structure without thinking of that nightmarish corn crib scene at the end.

All the younger family members had no idea what we were talking about.

Then someone mentioned Travis Coates being gifted with a pup of Ol' Yeller's by a neighbor girl and I asked if they remembered the neighbor girl's name. Elizabeth Searcy.

Reactions: Maggot
Nothing quite like your first litter of puppy's. My wolfdog Nikita's first. She was an unbelievable mother. She would drag them around the yard squealing until they ran away but never injured them, just training them to be tough assed little wolves.View attachment 8292792
She might be a tough love mother but I bet she'd turn into a fight to the death she-wolf if some strange dog came around those pups.

She might be a tough love mother but I bet she'd turn into a fight to the death she-wolf if some strange dog came around those pups.
I call her "Dispatcher of small 4 legged furries." Would never hurt a person but god help any critter she can get her jaws on.

Did a quick 3 miles around Artillery trail. Usually pretty empty for a battlefield so close to Stones River. McFadden cemetery is 30 yards left of the dogs. One of our favorite places, we hit it twice a week.
IMG_5785.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

IMG_4233.jpeg

Last edited:
I've had high drive dogs that didn't care about getting shocked to jail break or would run fast enough that the shock wouldn't even happen or it was so short in duration they didn't care. You'd hear a little yelp as they passed the line, but they wouldn't slow down at all. I've had others that had a very healthy respect for it and were petrified just to hear it beep.

Not all dogs are built the same. Just have to know your dog.
My last dog was a Pyr and sneaky neighbor's dog mix (Corgi/Queensland mix on Dad's side). The invisible fence has been broken for years and he never went anywhere.

Patrolled his yard and was happy.

...but he wasn't a typical dog, so YRMV

M

Any veterinarians in the house? I have an Akita that had a minor surgery go bad and now three weeks in (and four revisions), everybody is "out for the holidays". I have some detailed pics and a treatment plan to get him through the next four plus days but my experience is SF from 30 years ago. Could use some guidance.

Reactions: 338dude and Maggot