• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Man's Best Friend Thread

My 6 year old spoiled rotten child

20210306_174935.jpg

What do you do when he/she tells you to get in the passenger seat?
Lol, fortunately she listens extremely well, usually. However when she takes over the recliner or my side of the bed, she becomes 100 + lb of immovable dead weight that refuses to move!

I bet you have your hands full with that one. Looks like he's full of energy every waking moment. Good looking pup!

He's not too bad honestly which is a good thing at just shy of 100lbs, confirmation got him in check from an early age. His younger sister on the other hand is another story lol. Thanks for the kind words, he's definitely a looker and his momma's favorite.

Took Daisy for a bike ride today in my neighborhood. Finally sort of warm enough. She generally does pretty good. Today not so much.

Was making a tight left turn into a T road to give a car room and she decided to go around the sidewalk side of a fire hydrant and stop. Didn't notice. When the retractable leash got to the end it unbalanced me and I went down. The car that was going by stopped and asked if I was okay. More annoyed at Daisy than anything. Slight rough up on my arm and had to straighten my seat.

It's amazing what a 20lb cocker can do with the right leverage. I think I'm going to not use that leash with her on bike rides anymore.

I've got a Bernedoodgle (Bernese Mountain Dog and Min Poodle). She loves to dig, but it's to find rocks. Then she plays with the rock by running around the yard with it in her mouth. I've never seen anything like it. She must smell the rocks because some of them are 4 to 6 inches deep and that's how far down she digs. Once she gets the rock, she never digs in that hole again.

Strangest thing I've ever seen. I hope she grows out of this soon. My yard is starting to look like no man's land in a WWI movie.

I've got a Bernedoodgle (Bernese Mountain Dog and Min Poodle). She loves to dig, but it's to find rocks. Then she plays with the rock by running around the yard with it in her mouth. I've never seen anything like it. She must smell the rocks because some of them are 4 to 6 inches deep and that's how far down she digs. Once she gets the rock, she never digs in that hole again.

Strangest thing I've ever seen. I hope she grows out of this soon. My yard is starting to look like no man's land in a WWI movie.
When I was a kid, our family Cocker Spaniel loved rocks too. He didn't have to dig for them since we had them all over our yard, but if you threw a nice round one along the ground, he'd go bonkers chasing and bring it back to you in his mouth. He loved rocks way more than a tennis ball for fetching. Never out grew it or got tired of chasing rocks. Very strange indeed.

My idjit mutt went through that phase last year.
Thankfully I was able to train it out of her.
Now she just mopes around because her boyfriend has been in Kentucky for two weeks.

Reactions: oneshot86

I used to have a little female red nosed pit bull. When I would go to the river, she would wade out to where the water was about mid chest deep for her, and would put her head underwater and look around until she found just "the right" rock. Then she would pick it up, and place it on the beach. She would continue repeating that process until we were ready to leave the river. If she found a frog she would nip it and the nip would kill the frog and she would toss the frog over her shoulder. She would entertain herself by either stacking rocks, or killing frogs. No idea what is with dogs and rocks.

We rescued Timmer in 2013. He was older than we were told. His hips were weak then, he could barely run. His paws were tender. Walking on a stone driveway or in dry grass cut his pads. He mostly wanted to be in his crate. He didn’t know what it was to be a pet, to be with a family, to be petted and relax with us.
It took time and patience, but he became a great pet. He is my wife’s shadow. And she wasn’t sure about him when we first got him- he was a lot bigger than advertised.
He learned to want to be near us and to love to be petted. Even just to be close by us when we are home. He is an incredibly gentle dog without a mean bone in his body.
We took an obedience class with him when we first got him, mostly to train my wife. Lady next to us had a mini-yorkie that she brought in her purse. A 4 pound dog. Timmer became that dog’s friend and protector at the first class. Timmer was 85 pounds. Funny to see him want to get along with the smallest dog around.
Regardless of our efforts, his time has come. His hips are giving out. He can’t stand without help any longer. He can barely stand long enough to pee anymore.
The vet is coming Monday to put him down.
I’m glad we have the weekend to spend with him. It’s going to be the shortest and shittiest weekend for us.
Give your dogs some extra love and an extra treat on behalf of Timmer this weekend.
I’ve rambled enough. It’s getting dusty in here again...

Attachments

• EC1C894D-9DA8-4FA7-A876-7A9CB4CB0F71.jpeg
    EC1C894D-9DA8-4FA7-A876-7A9CB4CB0F71.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 9823921D-0A66-4543-A2C8-7F864A93DD1B.jpeg
    9823921D-0A66-4543-A2C8-7F864A93DD1B.jpeg
    494.1 KB · Views: 55
We rescued Timmer in 2013. He was older than we were told. His hips were weak then, he could barely run. His paws were tender. Walking on a stone driveway or in dry grass cut his pads. He mostly wanted to be in his crate. He didn’t know what it was to be a pet, to be with a family, to be petted and relax with us.
It took time and patience, but he became a great pet. He is my wife’s shadow. And she wasn’t sure about him when we first got him- he was a lot bigger than advertised.
He learned to want to be near us and to love to be petted. Even just to be close by us when we are home. He is an incredibly gentle dog without a mean bone in his body.
We took an obedience class with him when we first got him, mostly to train my wife. Lady next to us had a mini-yorkie that she brought in her purse. A 4 pound dog. Timmer became that dog’s friend and protector at the first class. Timmer was 85 pounds. Funny to see him want to get along with the smallest dog around.
Regardless of our efforts, his time has come. His hips are giving out. He can’t stand without help any longer. He can barely stand long enough to pee anymore.
I’m glad we have the weekend to spend with him. It’s going to be the shortest and shittiest weekend for us.
Give your dogs some extra love and an extra treat on behalf of Timmer this weekend.
Sorry to hear. We are here for you as much as we can be.

Reactions: Sgt47
Extra treats given for Timmer.
He will be waiting for you when the time comes. Wishing you a peaceful last weekend.

Man I hate to hear that, I know how you feel.

They aren't pets they become family, wishing you and yours the best, I feel for you, we've gone through those tough times, so a treat for Timmer

This would be me and Brandy, if she wasn't my service dog, and didn't go with me everywhere I go...

Here is the little shit bentley. Got him a month or so ago.
wife has ruined him. Ok i did too. He is too smart for his own good. This is him with the old man jasper. Jasper isnt much longer for our world. 15 yo golden that has had a life of luxury
6CF2AA16-F9F9-4D84-94FF-B645E0A10E69.jpeg

All of the boykins are liver colored so says the society standards. Actually they were basically a mutt to begin with. Some pointer, spaniel, a little brown dig of some kind and a chessy retriever. Really interesting back story on the origination of the breed and such. Also was named the South Carolina state dog. Have their own registry to boot. I wanted a female but there is a waiting list to get a female puppy at all of the breeders i looked at and i was willing to drive to get one

Reactions: tex68w
Rescued at about 1 year old, mountain cur. Sight hound, intelligent, stubborn, loyal, and very protective of my wife. She’s now going on 12 plus years, a little grayer, and a little wiser. She knows enough to sneak up on the squirrels from behind the trees cutting off the route of escape. Seems to be an uncommon breed, but when she passes I’ll find another.

Attachments

• 6DB64779-059F-45F3-81BF-D364913C23B9.jpeg
    6DB64779-059F-45F3-81BF-D364913C23B9.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 5DBF98E8-268D-4028-9FDA-CEE2B1BFD43D.jpeg
    5DBF98E8-268D-4028-9FDA-CEE2B1BFD43D.jpeg
    657.2 KB · Views: 43
Very sorry to read this. I wish you the strength to give Timmer the passage he deserves.

Reactions: fx77
Thanks guys.
I’ve actually got the rainbow bridge poem printed out from our last dog. It is comforting.
Maxwell - that statement sums it all up.
It’s been a rough weekend. He’s been going down fast. There is no doubt the time has come. But we had the chance to spend with him, so it’s been good.
A good friend of mine said this is something you don’t want to do a day early or a day late. So true. We didn’t act too soon. We are on the edge of too late.
At the end of the day, this is just something we need to do. It’s a responsibility we took on when we adopted him. And we’ll be holding him in our arms as he passes. I have no idea what dogs know about the situation, but I hope he knows how much he was loved and how much we will miss him.

Don't know how it will play out. I love the "Rainbow Bridge" poem, but it's just a poem. Either way, weather they're waiting for me by some bridge outside Heaven, or inside, with other loved ones, I know I'll see my old dogs again. I've loved many over the years. I'm gonna get absolutely mobbed by them when I get there... so It's gonna be wonderful, however it happens.

Way too many pictures but I don’t even care. This is my best bud Frankie. He’s a Texas doodle, and a such a great dog. I love seeing everyone’s dog pics, but it sure makes me sad reading some of the loses and knowing he won’t be around forever.
04C5A1D6-B87F-41E4-A703-04D2AD524896.jpeg
206E0053-B50F-4B62-B00C-C2023B1150FE.jpeg
347D80F0-B729-481B-9685-CC138CEAD1B1.jpeg
B6BE60C3-FE0E-4B15-BAE6-38D586D941AB.jpeg
75BC6ADA-AAE5-4699-9F95-372CD76210EC.jpeg
FE780A0C-8C91-41BB-80E0-EE2952F0515A.jpeg
B2B84741-8F41-49DB-801C-018DE77C2295.jpeg
93C7A95F-2182-4054-9AD7-E5F3BA90E9BE.jpeg

Attachments

• 32BB5BBD-C6BB-4AB1-92DB-8C68C0048AE6.jpeg
    32BB5BBD-C6BB-4AB1-92DB-8C68C0048AE6.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 32
  • 29CDB867-91EE-4689-8069-0C888EC6F2C7.jpeg
    29CDB867-91EE-4689-8069-0C888EC6F2C7.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 32
Way too many pictures but I don’t even care. This is my best bud Frankie. He’s a Texas doodle, and a such a great dog. I love seeing everyone’s dog pics, but it sure makes me sad reading some of the loses and knowing he won’t be around forever.
Good looking dog. Poodle x Blue Lacey? What's a Texas Doodle?

Good looking dog. Poodle x Blue Lacey? What's a Texas Doodle?

Thank you! He’s a poodle mixed with heeler/Australian shepherd. My wife wanted a golden doodle and I didn’t want to spend that much so this is where we ended up lol. He doesn’t shed which I didn’t realize how much I’d appreciate until we had it

Reactions: BigTex
View attachment 7587679View attachment 7587681View attachment 7587682View attachment 7587684View attachment 7587685View attachment 7587687View attachment 7587688View attachment 7587689

Looks like he has a great personality!

Well, it’s over. I think the anticipation was worse than the deed. That probably sounds bad, but it’s not.

The weather was nice here today. We were outside waiting for the vet when she arrived. Timmer got all freaked out at the vet office. Here he was calm. She did what had to be done, he was relaxed the whole time, and it was all peaceful. He got to sniff the neighborhood (we live on a hill) and watch his last sunset.

Don’t get me wrong, I cried a good bit today and when the vet was here. But it was more peaceful than trying to get him into the vet office. And there was a genuine sense of relief when it was done. We were all at peace.

Yesterday I sat on the floor with him. He put his head in my lap and looked up at me like he was tired and done struggling. Today I needed to bring his water dish to him. He really failed fast. He knew it was time. That really helped me.

The house is already quiet without him. The transition will still be difficult. But at least he, my wife, and I were all at peace this evening. Now I can just hope that Timmer sends us our next furry friend when the time is right.

Well, it’s over. I think the anticipation was worse than the deed. That probably sounds bad, but it’s not.

The weather was nice here today. We were outside waiting for the vet when she arrived. Timmer got all freaked out at the vet office. Here he was calm. She did what had to be done, he was relaxed the whole time, and it was all peaceful. He got to sniff the neighborhood (we live on a hill) and watch his last sunset.

Don’t get me wrong, I cried a good bit today and when the vet was here. But it was more peaceful than trying to get him into the vet office. And there was a genuine sense of relief when it was done. We were all at peace.

Yesterday I sat on the floor with him. He put his head in my lap and looked up at me like he was tired and done struggling. Today I needed to bring his water dish to him. He really failed fast. He knew it was time. That really helped me.

The house is already quiet without him. The transition will still be difficult. But at least he, my wife, and I were all at peace this evening. Now I can just hope that Timmer sends us our next furry friend when the time is right.

Yes, when my Bailey got so bad, he looked at me like he was telling it was time. We scheduled the appointment for the next day. I put my cap on his head while the vet administered the first drug. He passed with me holding him and wearing my Embrey Riddle hat. Still brings a tear to my eye.....

When you know it time, it makes the task a little easier.

I couldn't go more than a few months and I had to have another dog in the house. Where Bailey was MY dog, this little rat is my wife's shadow.