• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Many Shooters Using .223 for F T/R?

majohnson2

Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
Front Range, CO
The subject line says it all. Are many people shooting F T/R with a .223 and if so to what ranges?

With the brake on my 6.5CM I'm unable to shoot F /Open like I was planning. Unless I can get an exemption, as a 2 time looser to spine surgery, I don't do well with recoil.

Re: Many Shooters Using .223 for F T/R?

My 6.5 comes in at just under 22lbs. The smith did an amazing job of tapering and fitting the brake, I don't want to remove it. It is permitted in the local matches.

My R700 SPS I believe is a 1-9 twist, which prevents me from using bullets higher then 70grs. I did pick up some 68gr BTHP to try. I have always shot bullets in the 50-60gr range.

XTR, Thanks for the link.

I've seen some 1-9" tw barrels shoot *some* bullets as heavy as 75gn A-Max, so you might try some before ruling it out entirely.

Alternately, Berger sells some bullets in the 70-73gn range that I'd almost bet would work for your needs. If I had to choose between a Hornady 68gn BTHP or Sierra 69gn HPBT, and a Berger 70gn VLD... assuming they shoot equally good in terms of raw accuracy... the VLD may be kinder to you in the wind @ 500/600yds.

A long barrel (26" or more) with a 1-7" twist and throated long for 80+ gn bullets can be very competitive in mid-range matches (300-600yds). The negligible recoil makes shooting very pleasant, and I think almost easier to shoot *well*.

At longer ranges (800-1000yds)... its been done, and I fully expect people to keep working at it and raising the bar, but it is kind of an uphill battle in my experience.

I got my butt kicked enough by HM and their 223 to hate those damn light recoiling accurate little demons, all at 600 and under of course.
past that distance Monte and everybody else does a fine job with his .308

I've had good luck with a bolt gun using Berger 90 grain, pointed, 6.5 twist. Win brass, Wolf primers. Change the throat from 3 to 1.5 degrees in order to put the bullet far enough out to get enough powder in to do the job. 30 inch Kreiger bbl and start with 24.0 grains of Varget. Works good at 1k yds and lower ranges.

out to 600, the 223 is very capable. Just look at the results of any mid-range F-class match and you will see plenty of 223s at the top and on top of the scoreboard.

Was testing some of my annealed Lapua brass at 600 yards today. Held 2" of elevation. 223 with Berger 90's

Majohnson,
Try your 1-9 with some heavy .223's. My stock Savage VLP 1-9 shoots the 75 A-max out to 600yds. I have shot the Berger 80's out to that distance with lots of success also.

When I am introducing a new shooter to 600yds, I let them try my .223, just to show them they don't need a .308 to reach out and hit the X ring.

SY

Contacting the good folks at Remington and they inform me that I thought was 1/9 twist, is actually a 1-12. :-((

Anyone run some 68gr through a 1/12 twist?

Nope... don't think thats going to work very well (68s in a 12 tw).

There was a guy at some matches few years back who had a 700SPS with a 12 tw and that was what he had, and all he could afford for the time, so he made the best of it. I think he ended up with some 60 or possibly 64gn bullets, and after a *lot* of load testing found some combination that actually worked decent on the calm days. Fortunately, over there in the coastal/western Washington area, there are a *lot* of calm days (i.e. having 1 moa of wind on the sights @ 600 is a 'windy' day). Sorry I don't know what that load was, but I'd wager that you'd be better off either returning or trading those 68s for something lighter.

Don B. up here in NW Michigan is kicking all the Ftr shooter's butts with a .223 out to 800 yds. He is now building a .308 W to finish kicking our butts at the long range matches. .223Rem. is competitive.

bob L