• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

MAP Gas to anneal???

Doyputasos

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
Southern California
Just got my Benchsource annealer and instantly wondered if there would be any benefit from using the hotter MAP gas (in the yellow bottles where I live). Any thoughts?

Does it burn as cleanly? If yes, is the price per piece annealed better or worse? If it is burning hotter, it seems like less time on target would get you where you need to go! good luck. One more question, any problem with getting the correct nozzle? Does MAPP require different fittings?

Back when I used the drill/socket/torch method of annealing, I tried MAPP gas. I used the dark room method, and stopped when the caseneck was just starting to turn dull orange. Meanwhile, I would count the seconds off, so I had a good feel of how much time the cases were taking.

Using my mental/vocal stopwatch (which isn't that accurate), I couldn't detect a difference in time to anneal between Propane and MAPP.

I know MAPP burns hotter, so I gotta assume it does in fact heat the caseneck faster, but I wasn't able to see the difference.

I've used both. I didn't "really See" a difference, in time. Yes, they can use the same nozzle. I do see a difference in time, when I'm doing plumbing work, but not much.

Back when I used the drill/socket/torch method of annealing, I tried MAPP gas. I used the dark room method, and stopped when the caseneck was just starting to turn dull orange. Meanwhile, I would count the seconds off, so I had a good feel of how much time the cases were taking.

Using my mental/vocal stopwatch (which isn't that accurate), I couldn't detect a difference in time to anneal between Propane and MAPP.

I know MAPP burns hotter, so I gotta assume it does in fact heat the caseneck faster, but I wasn't able to see the difference.

MAPP burns a lot hotter..I am surprised!

NO.

Do Not use MAPP to anneal. MAPP gas contains relatively little propane, not that it matters, but the flame contains high levels of hydrogen, which does. In conversations with D. Dorris (maker of Bench-Source machine) he explained that exposure to MAPP can have the effect of making the brass structure brittle. Exactly what we're annealing to avoid. Stick with propane.

I have rigged mine to run both torchheads from one ten-gallon tank. PM me for the how-to.

Bob
Reloading003.jpg

Attachments

• Reloading003.jpg
    Reloading003.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Propane..... Nice set up KILLSHOT44 , What fitting are using between the torch head and hose ?

Thank you for the thread..

It answered questions that I had about Mapp vs Propane...

Last edited:
NO.

Do Not use MAPP to anneal. MAPP gas contains relatively little propane, not that it matters, but the flame contains high levels of hydrogen, which does. In conversations with D. Dorris (maker of Bench-Source machine) he explained that exposure to MAPP can have the effect of making the brass structure brittle. Exactly what we're annealing to avoid. Stick with propane.

I have rigged mine to run both torchheads from one ten-gallon tank. PM me for the how-to.

Bob
Reloading003.jpg

Nice set up Killshot44

I would like to know where you got all the fittings and hoses for your set up.. I am trying to do something similar.

PM sent...