• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Map Reading Course

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Anyone interested in a Map Reading Course. I don't mean GPS, I'm talking about a map, compass, and protractor.

If I put on the course it would be in the Prairie in NE Wyoming, not the mountains (mountains make it too easy).

The cost would only be enough to cover the cost of a 1:24000 map (maybe two, depending on the location I pick) and a protractor. You furnish your own compass.

This will be on government land so no rental cost.

I'm thinking of camping on location (tents, no motor homes) so no lodging cost. I don't think we can have open fires so a small camp stove such as MSR or something. Light sleep bag, it might cool off at nights.

I'll put together an equipment list if I decide I have enough interested parties.

I figure three days, two nights.

I'll put on the course but not if I'm out there alone. If I have enough takers I'll start putting it together.

Let me know if there is anything else you want covered. I suppose we could do some range finding with a map and compass. We'll see what people want.

Re: Map Reading Course

Never ceases to amaze me how people think, or their perception of a task.
Here is a man willing to teach a required skill at basically no charge, an yet there are no takers?
If the thread was titled,... Tit's,... How to paint your rifle,... or anything for their "Tacticool Safe Queen" you would have to beat them off with a stick.

If you ever what to learn how to get anywhere on this rock in the worst of times, this is for you. Also, while learning this skill, you will might learn much more but,... you will never know w/o trying. Wish I was closer, I'd be up for a refresher course myself. I've never took/taught any class w/o learning something every time.

Having tools (AKA Tacticool) is one thing, knowing how/when to use them is another.

Gunfighter, I agree to an extent but I'll give them longer than a Friday afternoon to Saturday morning until I call them out. I'll see what kind of attention there is in a week.

Kraig, I recommend some stellar navigation along with the basics. If I was able to show up that would be what I would want to learn more about. I spent too much time in the forest and jungle to learn that very well, and having a tritium lensatic compass the rest of the time gave me the piss-poor excuse to not go much further than being able to identify the North Star. I'll bet prairie country is incredible for that.

Kraig, that sounds like a fantastic course. I'd say 'count me in' except that it'd have to be for when you go "on tour".

If we were closer, we'd be students. You gonna make this a "correspondence" course?
wink.gif

I would take you up on this in a heartbeat! I just can't travel right now. I'd love to learn this skill. Thank you for offering it up.

I am in. I need this so I can compete next year in the 24 hr comp.

I will be driving from Texas. So, any one that needs a ride and is on the way lat me know.

I am in.

let me know when.

Even after boy scouts/military/backpacking, that skill is still a crap shoot....emphasis on the crap.

let me know when.

Thank you!

Jordan

I'll do the course if I can get at least 4 people. I want to do two man teams, but they can be make up teams, don't matter, will split you up for each excersise.

As I mentioned. I will include using maps for ranging. If interested we can move to another location, and you can practice your ranging on PDs. That will require a different map so that's another $1. Got to make sure the feds didn't close that area though.

Sounds like a cool opportunity to relearn a skill all outdoorsman should have. My last class was basic training at Ft. Sill in '87, too bad I'm stuck in S. Florida.
Eric

Sounds great. When? What materials would we need to bring. I added learning these skills to this year's things to accomplish list. Already am generating lists on Amazon accounts of books & materials. When you get set with dates, materials, costs, please pm me the information, if I can get the time free, am interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When are you thinking of doing this? I might road trip.</div></div>

Just West of Newcastle Wyoming. If I can pull off the PD ranging portion, that would be about 22 miles West.

I haven't set the date, I was going to wait to see what date best fit the attendees. All I know that the week 4th of July is out. It has to be before Sept 1 because it's an antelope hunting area. Dont want to interfer with that.

Let's do it the week before Antelope, Then we can hunt antelope

That's an option, Rifle Season starts Oct 1, which is a Monday. Problem being, I have to work our clubs sight in days Sat & Sun.

Also non-residents would have had to put in for their draws before now.

I just gave my time off to a deserving widow. And work isnt going to give me ann. Leave w fiesta going on (too many dwi's)
Can someone video this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never ceases to amaze me how people think, or their perception of a task.
Here is a man willing to teach a required skill at basically no charge, an yet there are no takers?
If the thread was titled,... Tit's,... How to paint your rifle,... or anything for their "Tacticool Safe Queen" you would have to beat them off with a stick.

If you ever what to learn how to get anywhere on this rock in the worst of times, this is for you. Also, while learning this skill, you will might learn much more but,... you will never know w/o trying. Wish I was closer, I'd be up for a refresher course myself. I've never took/taught any class w/o learning something every time.

Having tools (AKA Tacticool) is one thing, knowing how/when to use them is another. </div></div>

relax with the drama. If you wanna feel better about 9 months ago I started to study land nav. I read the Fm's, all of Esee's literature, ranger handbook, bought my first second and third compass, (now a primary and backup) picked up a delorme. Then I called up my 'uncle' whos former 5th group and for some advice and he sent me his copy of his land nav materials which I kid you not was a copy of the outward bound compass and navigation skills book. stamped II/5 SFG and everything which I thoguth was pretty funny. he then came out and we spent 3 nights of land nav and then a time course with 5 checkpoints.

1:24k 1:50k lat/long, utm, grids, adjustable declination or on the fly you name it I can find it. I am confident that my land nav is at least as strong as your typical Butter Bar, which might not being saying much, but I went from not know anything but how to look at a gps, to taking a Cammenga a laminated printout from mytopo.com a light and a protractor, and having my ass dropped in the middle of nowhere and easily finding where I was where I needed to go, my pace count etc.

Its not the skills that most of us don't care about, I simply am nowhere neart Wy.

I wasn't saying the course was for everyone, I just thought there might be those out there who would like to learn or improve their skills with a little guidence.

The course wouldn;t cost much, if anything, I'm not in this to make money. I certainly am not trying to force anyone into taking the course.

There are a lot of little tricks I can provide and I'm sure those attending could provide me. Simple little things, like for example everyone knows what Magnetic Declination Changes 6' per year (what year was your map made?. How many know how to find the "current" Magnetic Declination?

As I said, just little tricks people might or might not know.

Shoot if no one wants such a course, I can always go fishing.

kraigKY, I am definitely interested, keep us posted as to when the actual dates would be. My work schedule is fairly flexible, and this is a skill I would like to be a bit better in. Haven't done any land nav since my four years in the Corps, and I'm sure any "skills" I'd learned have long since expired. I also got a call from a prior-service recruiter, looking for guys interested in going into the Reserves for the S/S package, and if I've got any hope for making it, I need to work in all areas. So again, I can't commit 100%, but pretty close to it. Thanks for offering your time as well.

Just out of curiosity, what model compass are most of you using personally? Whats issued in the U.S?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2/1_Kiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity, what model compass are most of you using personally? Whats issued in the U.S? </div></div>

I use the military lensatic compass. The older one. Newer Mil compasses have a 1:50,000 scale, mine had the 1:25,000 scale.

They just seem to hold up better (that age of my compass should speak for itself). I really hard on equipment.

Still works like new though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kellogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">kraigKY, I am definitely interested, keep us posted as to when the actual dates would be. My work schedule is fairly flexible, and this is a skill I would like to be a bit better in. Haven't done any land nav since my four years in the Corps, and I'm sure any "skills" I'd learned have long since expired. I also got a call from a prior-service recruiter, looking for guys interested in going into the Reserves for the S/S package, and if I've got any hope for making it, I need to work in all areas. So again, I can't commit 100%, but pretty close to it. Thanks for offering your time as well.</div></div> Definitely something you'll want to be in top form for if you're going to go to SSBC. Lots of drops happen because of land nav.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I use the military lensatic compass. The older one. Newer Mil compasses have a 1:50,000 scale, mine had the 1:25,000 scale.
</div></div>

Similar/same as this? Silva 4/54

257kort.jpg

Would love to do this if I didn't live so far away. Something I learned this year that you might want to include is celestial navigation. I recently bought a Davis sextant and learned to navigate with it. I am constantly learning the stars and planets. Most people don't believe me when I start naming off all the stars in the sky at night on my boat. One of the first things I learned was how much the poles move each year. What do you do when your map is ten years old? Learn to tell time and navigate with the stars and sun without a compass...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2/1_Kiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Similar/same as this? Silva 4/54

257kort.jpg
</div></div> He's talking about one like this: http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/usgi-tritium-lensatic-compass.html

Ah, ive used similar in the past. Havn't received any formal instruction in the use of them though. Are they good for map work (plotting mag to grid bearings, marking resections/back bearings etc) ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2/1_Kiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ah, ive used similar in the past. Havn't received any formal instruction in the use of them though. Are they good for map work (plotting mag to grid bearings, marking resections/back bearings etc) ?</div></div> Really for map use they're good enough for coarse estimations, but I always preferred to use an actual protractor. Plotting 8-digit grids for 10 meter accuracy requires that.

Some of the best features I like on the military style lensatic compasses are the tritium inserts (a must have for tactical night ops), ability to shoot a precision azimuth for near or far distances, and you can beat the living hell out of them and they keep going. When you close it down it locks the internal bezel in place to help its durability while maintaining its accuracy. This is key to longevity. To tell you how long they last, I replace compasses because the tritium wears out, not because they're broken or off bearing.

One other compass that's a great little tool, and one that I used the most on patrol in daylight, was one I had attached to my watch band. Most of the time all I needed was a coarse heading, and the rest of my navigation was done with terrain association via my topo map. If you have at least a 1:50k map and </=10m contour interval, you can easily navigate that way with practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's talking about one like this: http://www.gunnyssurplus.com/usgi-tritium-lensatic-compass.html</div></div>

Yeap that one, only mine is a 1960 version. It has 1:25000 scale instead of the 1:50000 of the newer ones.

Besides the mil compass I throw a silva in just for kicks.

In addition you need a protractor to really get down to the nitty grittie. There are several good ones out there. Besides several scales, mine brakes down the 1:24000 into 10 meter elements. Plus it as a scale to measure the grade using contour lines.

Yeah, always carry an issue protractor in my field notebook, but with the silva you can still be fairly accuracte without it, just marking your MV onto it with a map marker.Fortunatly Silva makes mil compasses, and its lensatic window works great for night Nav.

Although, good map to ground understanding is a bit of a lost art it seems.

I would be interested in this course. Just the dates will play a big factor. I am getting married over labor day weekend. If you work out the dates I will know if I can make it. Will be a distance to get out there but would be well worth it for the experience. Thanks for such a kind and great offer.
Brian

I am also interested in the course. Quite a distance from here, but I would sure like to make it depending on the dates.

OK Lets look at this again.

I have mentioned as to time I'm flexable. I wanted a min. of 4 confirms. Looks like I may have that.

So since you guys work or have other commitments and I don't, pick a date. The only solid commitment I have is for the week of 4th of July, my daughter has a yearly reunion that week.

Hunting season starts Oct first in that area so that's out.

I'll do the course, you guys pick the date. The longer the better but I understand time restraints for most people. So figure 2-3 days, (we'll be out at night also).

Maybe there are people who can't get to the Prairie of Wyoming?
Don't have time, already know the material, don't want to know it.

No that couldn't be. It must be that everyone but <span style="font-weight: bold">you and the OP is lazy and stupid.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never ceases to amaze me how people think, or their perception of a task.

Having tools (AKA Tacticool) is one thing, knowing how/when to use them is another. </div></div>

Sorry,... did my comments, strike a nerve?
If you really want to do this, jump up on the box.

I too am setting up a map reading course in SE Arizona.

8 points with permanent cement markers at each map point.

Distances of up to 2 kilometers.

Each point GPS averaged for serious accuracy.

I will be opening a simple survival school here

I am deffinetely interested in this, later in the year the better for me. I am moving to Mt in a month, so would be close, this is something I have deff been wanting to learn how to do. Thanks for this opportunity Kraig.

Note, I dont know about BLM, but I know with usfs, you can go into their regional office, and they will print out 1:24000 maps FOR FREE and they have the utm ticks on them. I dont know if they will do any other size.

OK, We're looking at Sept 14-16 2012.

It looks like I have two confirmed, If I get two more we'll have the course.

I'll post later the equipment requirements. I'm going to have each attendee get the required maps and other items so no funds will change hands on my point.

This way you can look over the area (maps)prior to the course.