• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Mara, my dog, playing with a coyote

I saw a program on TV where a young guy out hunting got attacked by 3 coyotes. He said if there had been more he might not have survived.

You guys would be happy to know I've lowered the Coyote population around my house.

Last March got a call from my wife that there was a fox in the backyard and she got pictures. The kids 4 and 5 were so excited! Wildlife in Arlington Massachusetts! Boston is visible just through the trees to the left of the animal. The city is walking distance. The Brits passed easily through Arlington (Menotomy) heading west in April of 1775. Walking back was not so easy.

Used to get coyotes in my parents' backyard in Lowell toward Winter. Now they also have a family of foxes. The neighborhood has learned to keep their pets indoors over the last few years.

Also, the occasional black bear. And I remember a bobcat running around one Winter.

Last edited:
When I was a kid I used to pretty much kill anything that moved the older I got my conscience started to work on me so I stopped. After reading this thread I am feeling the need to rekindle that long lost flame. I do so solemnly swear to kill any and every coyote I ever come across to they day I die with Liberty and Justice for all.

I once heard a pack of coyotes going absolutely nuts at night for about 15 minutes. The next morning we noticed my next door neighbor's husky had a torn ear, so we hiked up the mountain to investigate (I lived up a big canyon at the time). We were pretty shocked to find 13 dead coyotes! About half of them were young ones but there were also some good sized ones. That was one tough husky!

You my friend are full of shit. No way in hell 1 dog is going to kill 13 coyotes by himself. This should go in the best bullshit story in the bear pit.

I've bee. on the farm where I'm at now since March of 2011, and Ive killed 12 or 13 coyotes. Shot one heading off the back porch one night after the bastard got in the trash. We have a Great Pyrenees, and hes been in a tussle a few times, I've seen him kill two by himself in the back yard and I've found a few more here and there in the field. If you don't have the time or will power to hunt them, get a good dog and a donkey or mule. My old man raises draft horses and mules, and a 2300 lb Belgian draft will literally stomp a coyote into a mud hole if he catches him. Its a gruesome sight.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Bad news tonight for my family. We believe that coyotes got both of our family dogs. My boys young beagle and the families Australian Shepherd / Border Collie. I imagine the beagle thought they were fun play and got both of them sucked in. The oldest dog is eleven and never leaves home. My youngest two boys don't realize yet. My oldest son who is eleven understands the possibilities. Family is going to do a lot of hurting the next few days. Makes parenting tough. My instinct is to fix the problem. I can't fix a empty void.

Ouch. That's rough. I had to tell my kids last year that our dog had been hit by a car. It was not easy. We ended up writing messages to her on helium balloons and letting them go, which I think helped. I remember going through the same thing as a boy, and it was not easy.

I am hoping I am wrong and they will be here in morning. Don't expect them. First warm quiet night in a long time. Lots of coyote activity when we got home and reported by neighbors while we were gone.

I am hoping I am wrong and they will be here in morning. Don't expect them. First warm quiet night in a long time. Lots of coyote activity when we got home and reported by neighbors while we were gone.

Keep us updated please

Glory! Glory! Everyone is home and safe. Boys are sure happy. Now I can get some sleep. Very strange as old dog has never ventured off. Young beagle pup is making her feel young I guess. They came back wet, muddy, tired and hungry from hunting. Old dog moving slow and wanting to go to bed. Maybe they gave coyotes a good chase. I got to find some time to go and call some and thin the population down. They seem to be getting braver and closer to the yard every night. I actually had one stand about 20 feet from me for about 5 minutes at the edge of my yard a few years ago.