• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes March 3-24x52 vs NX8 4-32

762 ULTRAMAGA

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2018
Idaho
I'm in the market for a lighter scope and have narrowed it down to these two.
Any thoughts on the ffp March 3-24x52 vs the NX8?

Have had the 42mm objective version of the March and both nx8. Unfortunately not side by side.

Both scopes are great choices. The glass in the March was really good. One of the better I've owned. The nx8 aren't a slouch either.

Some differences are
Windage nx8 capped, March not
Illumination nx8 standard, March available
Zero stop functionality/setting
Reticles
$$$

Elaborating on the zero stop. The way the March zero stop is set is pretty neat; however, I personally didn't like that I didn't get the positive stop that the nx8 does.

I did not like March's reticle as much so for the money I'm personally buying the nx8.

That's my free opinion, so take it for what it's worth. I certainly wouldn't mind having the 52mm March in my collection though.

I have owned both (42mm version of the March) and currently still have the March. For an FFP scope with a usable reticle at low power I think the FMA from March is hard to beat, especially on a hunting rig. The NX8 glass is good but noticeable departure from my 4-16 F1 ATCAR. Love that both are 30mm and offer lots of great mounting options.

March
Pros: More useful reticle (esp without illumination), better turrets (size and 'click'), lighter by nearly 1/2lb (52mm version will still be considerably lighter than NX8)
Cons: Parallax is finicky as noted by many others, large range from 10y to 100 but then getting it right afterwards you kind of hunt for it as there is only 1/4 turn left. Some don't like the size of the exposed windage turret and had problems with it hitting brass but I'm a lefty so no issue.

NX8
Pros: Illumination, easy parallax, good turrets but I liked March better.
Cons: Weight, reticle is not useful until 8x without illumination, magnification- on a hunting rig I really didn't find use for the higher end- probably should have gone 2.5-20

Duckhunter did bring up a good point I missed. At low power March does have a more usable/visible reticle. Don't know why NF put so much drop on this line.

Didn't have issues with eye box on either one. Sure while in handy they seem tight, but once mounted they were fine. The parallax is just something different to get use to.

Reactions: duckhunter175
Duckhunter did bring up a good point I missed. At low power March does have a more usable/visible reticle. Don't know why NF put so much drop on this line.

Didn't have issues with eye box on either one. Sure while in handy they seem tight, but once mounted they were fine. The parallax is just something different to get use to.

I'm thinking I will likely put some small reference marks, maybe not even range specific but just something to highlight the 'sweet spot' for reference if I have to get behind it quick in a hunting situation.

I’m in the same boat right now looking at these two scopes. I think I’m liking the NF reticles more, the march one I was looking at has a gap in it until you hit 0.5 or 1.0 from center, so any holdover from 0.1-.0.9 would be guesswork.

Reactions: Jewbacca
Thanks a lot guys very useful info.
Sounds like the March glass is a clear winner.
Liking the looks of the fma-2 reticle with the floating dot in the center, very similar to the PR-1 moa on my MK5 which I love

Thanks a lot guys very useful info.
Sounds like the March glass is a clear winner.
Liking the looks of the fma-2 reticle with the floating dot in the center, very similar to the PR-1 moa on my MK5 which I love
Challenge now is finding one in stock somewhere.

Yeah no shit
Apparently March is a train wreck right now!
The earliest I can get one is over 8 weeks so not gonna work for this season.
I just ordered the 4-32 NX8 so I should have it next week.
Really hoping it works out, I'm getting tired of pulling scopes

Let us know how you like it, I’m leaning torwards that optic mainly due to the availability issue with March.

Yeah no shit
Apparently March is a train wreck right now!
The earliest I can get one is over 8 weeks so not gonna work for this season.
I just ordered the 4-32 NX8 so I should have it next week.
Really hoping it works out, I'm getting tired of pulling scopes
What do you mean by "March is a train wreck now"?
They are a small Japanese company that designs, builds and sells innovative, top quality scopes. They build their riflescopes by hand and virtually to order, all from Japanese parts, not one bit of Chinese junk in there.

The China virus situation is not helping the supply chain and shipping but they are making and selling their riflescopes.

I wish you good luck with your purchase.

What do you mean by "March is a train wreck now"?
They are a small Japanese company that designs, builds and sells innovative, top quality scopes. They build their riflescopes by hand and virtually to order, all from Japanese parts, not one bit of Chinese junk in there.

The China virus situation is not helping the supply chain and shipping but they are making and selling their riflescopes.

I wish you good luck with your purchase.
By train wreck I'm referring to their situation with mega mega backorder issues.
I spoke with several vendors and they used the exact term to describe the current business situation with the parent company, and it happened before covid..

They cancelled the dealer they were working with in WA state and now even repairs can take months and months to fix since everything is exclusively done in Japan.
I'd love to have one of their scopes but the business situation DEFINITELY played a part on my decision to stick with NF.
The NF HQ is literally 50 miles from my home so buy local I guess

By train wreck I'm referring to their situation with mega mega backorder issues.
I spoke with several vendors and they used the exact term to describe the current business situation with the parent company, and it happened before covid..

They cancelled the dealer they were working with in WA state and now even repairs can take months and months to fix since everything is exclusively done in Japan.
I'd love to have one of their scopes but the business situation DEFINITELY played a part on my decision to stick with NF.
The NF HQ is literally 50 miles from my home so buy local I guess
Yeah, that's not what happened, so you should stop spreading that false rumor. Also, repairs do not take a long time. I have not needed repair on my March but I did send it in for a reticle change and it was back within 3 weeks. There is currently a shipping issue due to COVID but one hopes that is temporary. And yes, if NF is next door, it makes a whole lot of sense to buy local, especially for the service.

Last edited:
I have the March 3-24x42 with the FMA-2 reticle on my 6.5x284 hunting rig. I really like its size/weight on a practical hunting rig. Used to take a nice bull elk in New Mexcio a few years ago--only a 460 yard shot but it did it's job and I like mine.

I have a couple March 3-24s and just recently picked up a 4-32 NX8. Overall, I think the March is a better scope but for the price difference the NX8 is a great deal, and it fills a spot where Nightforce had a gap. I think the March glass is better, but the areas where I think the NX8 glass is weaker are not that important to me. The NX8 reticle is a better fit with the reticles for my ATACRs that I use in competition, but the March reticle is more usable for low magnification situations.

At this point, if I wanted a smaller, lighter scope for competition, i would go with the Nightforce. I still think the March is a better scope for hunting, but if I was short on cash the price difference might be a deciding factor.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
Yeah, that's not what happened, so you should stop spreading that false rumor. Also, repairs do not take a long time. I have not needed repair on my March but I did send it in for a reticle change and it was back within 3 weeks. There is currently a shipping issue due to COVID but one hopes that is temporary. And yes, if NF is next door, it makes a whole lot of sense to buy local, especially for the service.
Sorry what part is a false rumor??
The part where they dumped their old US dealer , or the part where many models are back ordered for 8 weeks and there are cases where service repairs have been as long..
I got that info from professionals who deal with March optics

Both parts were wrong or outdated, so you're 0 for 2 and I don't care where you got it from.

I communicated with Deon overnight and they confirm that production is at 4 weeks. Several months back they announced that they had found a way to reduce production lead time down to 4 weeks. It has been 4 weeks for many months now.

They posted this today.

And this was the original post about how they had achieved a reduction in manufacturing lead time to 1 month (4 weeks).

They do have some stocking dealers in the US and around the world, but the problem is they make many different riflescope models and even worse, each model is available with several different reticles. Since this is not mass-production of the same scope over and over again, keeping stock is a nightmare. When I selected my latest March riflescope, I selected the exact options and reticle I wanted and ordered it. It took a little over 5 weeks from placing the order to my doorstep, and it arrived with exactly the features and specs I wanted and it's been absolutely awesome. If I'm going to pay that kind of money for the very best riflescope, I'm happy to wait 4-5 weeks and have the exact one I want.

It's the same thing when I bought my last vehicle. I ordered it with the exact color, engine size, and myriad options and features I wanted, waited 7 weeks and took delivery of exactly what I wanted and had ordered.

Both parts were wrong or outdated, so you're 0 for 2 and I don't care where you got it from.

I communicated with Deon overnight and they confirm that production is at 4 weeks. Several months back they announced that they had found a way to reduce production lead time down to 4 weeks. It has been 4 weeks for many months now.

They posted this today.

And this was the original post about how they had achieved a reduction in manufacturing lead time to 1 month (4 weeks).

They do have some stocking dealers in the US and around the world, but the problem is they make many different riflescope models and even worse, each model is available with several different reticles. Since this is not mass-production of the same scope over and over again, keeping stock is a nightmare. When I selected my latest March riflescope, I selected the exact options and reticle I wanted and ordered it. It took a little over 5 weeks from placing the order to my doorstep, and it arrived with exactly the features and specs I wanted and it's been absolutely awesome. If I'm going to pay that kind of money for the very best riflescope, I'm happy to wait 4-5 weeks and have the exact one I want.

It's the same thing when I bought my last vehicle. I ordered it with the exact color, engine size, and myriad options and features I wanted, waited 7 weeks and took delivery of exactly what I wanted and had ordered.
Here's a few facts home slice

1. March optics USA was the main dealer for Deon optics untill summer of last year, the business deal was most definitely ended.

2. I spent hours on the web/phone trying to find a 3-24x52 fma-2, most dealers are saying 12-14 weeks! One said maybe 8.

If you can find one available In 4 weeks I'm all ears.
Screenshot_20200807-091639.png

Reactions: JeffLebowski
At the risk of going further off topic, any idea if the newer wide angle scopes will eventually have MOA reticles as an option?

At the risk of going further off topic, any idea if the newer wide angle scopes will eventually have MOA reticles as an option?
Eventually, but that may be a while yet.

Samples of the 4.5-28X52 are imminent and they are all MIL. The 5-42X56 is in production and is shipping but there is no MOA reticle for it. The Genesis 6-60X56 is available with an MOA reticle, but the new 4-40X52 only comes with in MIL. For now.

The FFP scopes are heavily favored by the folks who like MIL-based reticles, and with trees. So let me ask you this. If there were MOA reticle for these FFP scopes with the wide angle eyepiece, what format would you like to see it in? For example, do you want a tree reticle but based on MOA? Do you want simpler reticles like some of the MTR series? What would you use the riflescope for, hunting, target shooting, competition? If competition, what type?

Here is a link to the existing FFP reticles for March:

The above list is not complete, the FML-TR1 is not there. You can see it here:

And here is a link to to SFP reticles.

The datasheet for the 4.5-28X56 should be online pretty soon.

The FFP scopes are heavily favored by the folks who like MIL-based reticles, and with trees. So let me ask you this. If there were MOA reticle for these FFP scopes with the wide angle eyepiece, what format would you like to see it in? For example, do you want a tree reticle but based on MOA? Do you want simpler reticles like some of the MTR series? What would you use the riflescope for, hunting, target shooting, competition? If competition, what type?

I'm one of those odd guys that shoots MOA in tactical matches. I mostly do local matches, but occasionally also do regional matches. Once or twice a year I'll do a local F-Class match. Our local tactical matches include PRS style steel matches and long range (200-1000yd) courses with paper targets. I would be interested in the wide angle scopes primarily for those competitions, but might also use them for hunting. I currently use March 3-24 scopes on my hunting rifles and 7-35 Nightforce ATACRS on my competition rifles. I've used the March 3-24 scope in completion, but the ATACRs have it beat for competitive events. Just for context, i would about 10% of the shooters in our matches use MOA scopes; most of us started out with MOA scopes as hunters and never saw enough reason to switch to MOA.

I'm pretty happy with FMA reticle, I don't really like the tree style reticles (although the choices for MOA tree style reticles are pretty limited).

Reactions: Denys
I'm one of those odd guys that shoots MOA in tactical matches. I mostly do local matches, but occasionally also do regional matches. Once or twice a year I'll do a local F-Class match. Our local tactical matches include PRS style steel matches and long range (200-1000yd) courses with paper targets. I would be interested in the wide angle scopes primarily for those competitions, but might also use them for hunting. I currently use March 3-24 scopes on my hunting rifles and 7-35 Nightforce ATACRS on my competition rifles. I've used the March 3-24 scope in completion, but the ATACRs have it beat for competitive events. Just for context, i would about 10% of the shooters in our matches use MOA scopes; most of us started out with MOA scopes as hunters and never saw enough reason to switch to MOA.

I'm pretty happy with FMA reticle, I don't really like the tree style reticles (although the choices for MOA tree style reticles are pretty limited).
Thanks for the reply. If you have further thoughts, please post them here or PM me. I'm going to do some more research before passing it along.

I got the NX8 today and after mounting it I'm really impressed!

The glass is really good (even at 32x) and the eye box isn't the least bit fussy, I'll put some rounds down range tomorrow and report back.

Shout out to Doug at Camera Land for the awesome price and service
IMG_20200811_160012132.jpg